Norwegian

SSN and Passport has different names

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

We sent off our I-130 package yesterday and I just realized that my SSN still only has my maiden name but my passport and everything else has my married name. I still have my maiden name as a middle name.

Do you think that will pose a problem?

We sent off our I-130 package yesterday and I just realized that my SSN still only has my maiden name but my passport and everything else has my married name. I still have my maiden name as a middle name.

Do you think that will pose a problem?

Whose going to see your SSC? I have heard that now they expect the names to match, but in reality why should it matter until you go to claim your benefits? My Mother went her entire married life with her documents as Middle Maiden Married name as she did not like her given first name and was never called that name even by her parents. Her SSC was First Middle Married. So when she retired she changed her DL and passport to match the SSC rather than change the SSC to match everything else. Of course her will has her name a First Middle Married with an AKA of Middle Maiden Married.

Up to you as to whether you want to change it. As you have all kinds of documentation of the name change it SHOULD be rather easy to do, but this is the SSA we are talking about and they train their employees by, oh wait I do not think they do train their employees. Unless they actually check the names when they look up your SSN, it will never come up and you can just say you have not had the time to deal with the SSA to get the name changed from maiden to married. Both names are your legal name. Why do all the USCIS forms have the other names used section on them--it is to list all legal names associated with you.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

Whose going to see your SSC? I have heard that now they expect the names to match, but in reality why should it matter until you go to claim your benefits? My Mother went her entire married life with her documents as Middle Maiden Married name as she did not like her given first name and was never called that name even by her parents. Her SSC was First Middle Married. So when she retired she changed her DL and passport to match the SSC rather than change the SSC to match everything else. Of course her will has her name a First Middle Married with an AKA of Middle Maiden Married.

Up to you as to whether you want to change it. As you have all kinds of documentation of the name change it SHOULD be rather easy to do, but this is the SSA we are talking about and they train their employees by, oh wait I do not think they do train their employees. Unless they actually check the names when they look up your SSN, it will never come up and you can just say you have not had the time to deal with the SSA to get the name changed from maiden to married. Both names are your legal name. Why do all the USCIS forms have the other names used section on them--it is to list all legal names associated with you.

Good luck,

Dave

My concern is that the application may be delayed in the event I should get a RFE because my SSN name and application name does not match.

My concern is that the application may be delayed in the event I should get a RFE because my SSN name and application name does not match.

Did you list the SSN name in the other names used section? If so, not a problem. If not, it may be a problem or not--depends on the person looking at your application. The SSN is suppose to be for tax purposes and getting your social security benefits. Only recently has it become a pseudo national ID number. As long as your documentation has the name as you put on the application it is usually not an issue. Your SSC is not an official form of ID (at least that is what mine states very plainly across the top of it).

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

Did you list the SSN name in the other names used section? If so, not a problem. If not, it may be a problem or not--depends on the person looking at your application. The SSN is suppose to be for tax purposes and getting your social security benefits. Only recently has it become a pseudo national ID number. As long as your documentation has the name as you put on the application it is usually not an issue. Your SSC is not an official form of ID (at least that is what mine states very plainly across the top of it).

Good luck,

Dave

Ok, great! I did list my maiden name.

Thank you so much for your input.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.