Henia

What if you donnot like your SO's country...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

hello I rather like Algerie and my in-laws but have heard several complaints from others on another baord I am on about not lking their SO's country and in-laws...

My thoughts:

Well if you did not like the country, why get a SO from there....and about the in-laws... they married the man/women...and also the family...deal with it... patient people are generally rewared for their patience.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
hello I rather like Algerie and my in-laws but have heard several complaints from others on another baord I am on about not lking their SO's country and in-laws...

My thoughts:

Well if you did not like the country, why get a SO from there ....and about the in-laws... they married the man/women...and also the family...deal with it... patient people are generally rewared for their patience.

Hi, I'm not ME/NA, but I don't really understand this (the bolded part). If I were in love with Brazil, not my boyfriend, then I would just move to Brazil. But I'm in love with the GUY. What do the two things have to do with one another? Just because a place produces something or someone we love does not mean we have to love that place.

My best friend is from North Dakota. Does that mean I have to like NoDak?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well if you did not like the country, why get a SO from there....

Hmmm, well many people do not choose a country first and subsequently choose an SO from that country.

There are things about Morocco that I'm not too crazy about.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My thoughts:

Well if you did not like the country, why get a SO from there ....and about the in-laws... they married the man/women...and also the family...deal with it... patient people are generally rewared for their patience.

Hi, I'm not ME/NA, but I don't really understand this (the bolded part). If I were in love with Brazil, not my boyfriend, then I would just move to Brazil. But I'm in love with the GUY. What do the two things have to do with one another? Just because a place produces something or someone we love does not mean we have to love that place.

No, what I meant is: If you found a person you want to be with supposely all your life...but you didnt like their country (for the most part) would it not mean you did not like them either? I know peopl are different ...but you cannot change your roots I think.

Also jenn: I know people including me do not pick a country then go looking for their mates...but I am curious to know what everyone thinks. And I myself donnot think I could love my husband and not his country..but some people do.

Edited by Henia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, Wadi and I had been together for more than two years before I got to go to Morocco. Even if I had absolutely hated the country, I can't imagine ending the relationship over that.

I suppose it depends on the level of dislike and how much it bothers your SO.

Maybe it would help to have some examples of people not liking their SO's country. I'm finding it hard to imagine having enough dislike for a country to make that a deal-breaker in a relationship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Although Morocco is very different to anything im used to I enjoyed the time there and can't wait to go back. Live there, not sure of that one, since work is limited and me with the language but at sometime we talk about having houses in both places. The family is great and accepted me from first day as i them.

If you didnt get along with the family feel like that would be putting SO in the middle all the time maybe causing little friction and of course they are going to want to go back for visits and bring you along.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Love my man....love his country...love the people.

Though I would probably die an early death there, it will always be special and magical to me. A beautiful country with a lot of problems.

TIA......one of the roughest places to live. It was on the very bottom of the UN list

a few years ago and is now 3. from the bottom, struggling to rise up after a decade of

brutal war.

His country is part of what has shaped him. How could I not embrace it ?

If someone does not like their SO's country.....look deeper.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I dont think I would live in Morocco also but I would go back for short visits. I get along with my husbands family. I will so they have some customs/traditions that I dont quite understand but hey.

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wouldn't say that I love Morocco. I still love Hicham though and that wouldn't change based on how much or little I enjoy Morocco.

My thoughts:

No, what I meant is: If you found a person you want to be with supposely all your life...but you didnt like their country (for the most part) would it not mean you did not like them either? I know peopl are different ...but you cannot change your roots I think.

Also jenn: I know people including me do not pick a country then go looking for their mates...but I am curious to know what everyone thinks. And I myself donnot think I could love my husband and not his country..but some people do.

I think I understood exactly what you meant. It seems strange to me that some people can be married to someone when they have no desire or appreciation for the SO's country and traditions. I think there are some people who have an expectation that the SO will more likely conform to their way of life.

I met a man who married a woman from Vietnam. They met online, she came here on a fiance visa. He complained to me that everything she cooked had so many vegatables and he wished she would eat meat and potatoes like him. I had to laugh because I thought to myself I would love someone to come and cook this for me everyday. I really think he was execting her Vietnamese culture not be such a dominate part of who she was.

And the in-laws thing I just do not understand how anyone marries someone without understnding they are marrying into the family too.

ETA: I am one of those who fell in love with the country before I met my fiance. I was making plans to move permantly there before we decided to marry. I guess you could say I'm using him to make it easy to move there :P

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am happy to learn and appreciate Moroccan culture. I don't necessarily like a lot of things about Morocco however I respect Hicham and appreciate his upbringing and culture.

Filed: Timeline

I met my husband on my 2nd trip to Egypt . . . so I guess I was fascinated with Egypt before I met him. For awhile after I married him, I thought about the possibility that I'd go to live in Egypt. Now I am having a Love-Hate relationship with it, because of all the things that I have learned . . . so sometimes I want to go and somtimes I dont ever want to go again. He just laughs when I say that . . . but sometimes he also says he hates Egypt and I now understand why.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Henia, you got me thinking...

I could say I love Morocco and almost everything Moroccan, that would be true. Now I cook Moroccan, have Moroccan tapes in my car... what else? Planning to re-do my bedroom, so it looks Moroccan at least a little.... Any advice from anybody?

I wouldn't live there, at least not now. But I could adjust to it - it would be like going back in time, way back in time. I used to live that way (similar way) back where i'm from years ago.

But the funny part is - my husband! He constantly tells me that he doesn't like Moroccans (sometimes the word is 'hate'). And yet he keeps telling me, baby, i'm Moroccan! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know he has his reasons , same as sometimes i'd say, i don't like russians (cause i know what most of them are about). Well, i ended up deffending him, even though he wouldn't even know i'm doing this. Man! I'm a good wife!!! Is there 'pat yourself on the back' smiley? :dance: :dance: :dance: That's the closest I could get! :devil:

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
And the in-laws thing I just do not understand how anyone marries someone without understnding they are marrying into the family too.

ETA: I am one of those who fell in love with the country before I met my fiance. I was making plans to move permantly there before we decided to marry. I guess you could say I'm using him to make it easy to move there :P

But you don't have to like your family (or in-laws) you just have to get along with them. Respecting and actually liking them are two different things.

But you don't have to like your family (or in-laws) you just have to get along with them. Respecting and actually liking them are two different things.

I'll give you that. You are so right. I'm one of those people that the in-laws are an important deciding factor if I would or would not get married. I believe you do not marry a person but you marry a family. My fiance joins my family and I join his and even larger than that my family becomes part of his family and his family becomes part of mine.

I know - not every one thinks about family like us and not everyone wants family relations like us. But for me its important

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.