Paul H

Dual Citizenship - Yay or Nay?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So my wife Jenni, who immigrated from Canada, is now in the process of removal of conditions of her green card. In a year she can apply for Naturalization. Is there any reason for her not to do so?

I am interested in those that chose not to become U.S. Citizens and the reasons why. Please share if you are comfortable doing so.

I am also interested in what benefits she would gain if she does become a citizen. Voting is one. What else?

Thanks!

-Paul & Jenni

Filed: Timeline

So my wife Jenni, who immigrated from Canada, is now in the process of removal of conditions of her green card. In a year she can apply for Naturalization. Is there any reason for her not to do so?

I am interested in those that chose not to become U.S. Citizens and the reasons why. Please share if you are comfortable doing so.

I am also interested in what benefits she would gain if she does become a citizen. Voting is one. What else?

Thanks!

I am replying because I went through a similar situation a number of years ago, only the other way around. I emigrated to Canada from the U.S. to be with my partner, and was deciding whether to become a Canadian citizen. So I researched dual U.S. and Canadian citizenship a lot.

My conclusion was that there are advantages to dual citizenship, and no disadvantages, at least for U.S.-Canadian. The only disadvantage might be a personal, emotional one, on the part of Jenni, if she is uncomfortable swearing the oath to renounce all other citizenships (which is a U.S. requirement). In practical fact, she would not be required to give up her Canadian citizenship but the U.S. still insists that she say so.

The main advantage to becoming a citizen that I thought of, besides voting, is that it freed me forever from visa issues. No matter which country I live in, I never have to worry about losing my status or having to reapply (unless I commit a deportable crime, which obviously I don't plan to do). This is important if circumstances might ever arise in which you might live in Canada again for a period of time. You may not foresee this now, but if it were possible, U.S. citizenship would guarantee your return. Whereas a Green Card can be lost if someone does not live in the U.S. any longer.

I am sure others will have more up-to-date information. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks!

I'll become eligible to apply for citizenship in 5 days. But as of right now, I have zero plans to apply. Two reasons: I can't, in good faith, renounce my Canadian citizenship during the oath (even though, as the member above said, I technically wouldn't be giving it up) and second, as of the current state of this country, I can't see myself being a "proud American" and being supportive of some of the principles of this country. There just seems to be so much wrong with this country (yes, I realize Canada has its own issues as well, but it just seems like so much cr@p is going on here). But, who knows, I might apply for it once my 10 year green card gets closer to expiring, but for right now, no.

There's a plethora of advantages though to becoming a US citizen. I bookmarked this page years ago and you should give a look: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_and_Cons_to_Getting_US_Citizenship It's from a British expat website, but it still pretty much all applies.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Personal decision. More advantages than disadvantages! As others have mentioned, even though you renounce your other citizenship at the oath ceremony it means nothing. I see no reason why to keep giving the USA gov't more $$$ every 10 yrs and the prices for the green card and naturalization just keep going up and up. I'm happy to be a USA citizen and will always be a law abiding citizen, and grateful I am able to live in a free country (many here in Nicaragua would love to have that opportunity) But I will always be Canadian and if any one asks me--I reply Canadian--simple as that.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

One reason for it would be if you are planning to at some point live in Canada for a few years (maybe kids are in the cards and you want to live near Jenni's family for a few years) then it would be easier afterwards for her to come back. I know there is a way to apply for a re-entry permit after a longer absence but as I understand it's not guaranteed and having to go through the visa application process again would be a big pain IMHO.

Disadvantage is that she would need to pay US taxes, no matter where you guys ended up living - there are loads more but that one is less emotional and more practical and might or might not outweigh the cost of the renewal of GC every 10 years.

There are great benefits in becoming a US citizen when it comes to estates and transferring property from one spouse to the other. If both spouses are US citizens, these transactions are exempt from the estate tax. Otherwise it costs big bucks. My wife will more than likely become a US citizen if not for this reason alone.

Estate/ Taxes

All property left to a spouse is exempt from estate tax, as long as the spouse is a U.S. citizen. In general, the U.S. gift tax and estate tax laws permit unlimited tax-free transfers of property between spouses if the transferee spouse (i.e., the spouse receiving property) is a U.S. citizen. This "marital deduction" often is said to reflect the view that a husband and wife represent a single economic unit. But the marital deduction is not allowed if the transferee spouse is not a U.S. citizen, even if the non-citizen spouse is a permanent resident of the United States.

Timeline

i never looked into it that hard to see if this is true or not but I was told that Arkansas has some weird law that if my husband passed his family if they wanted could take everything from me. So that was a bit more motivation as just in case their is truth to it I didn't want to take chances. The tax issue is not an issue for me as if we moved to Canada we would still have to file US taxes as he would still be a USC. I like the freedom it gives us, also I'm very much in the train of thought like Flames I see myself as a Canadian first regardless.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll be applying for American citizenship the moment I'm able. I see no downsides whatsoever as it will let me be a productive member of society in the place I chose to live.

Timeline

I applied as soon as I was able and I've been Dual for a couple years now. I don;t see any negatves to being Dual and some of the reasons above were motivators. I don't see myself moving back to Canada anytime soon if ever, but who knows in my old age. I wanted to be able to vote in the country I resided in and in some cases in my career, citizenship is also required. I didn't want the hassle of carrying my GC, worrying about losing it and being an immigrant forever.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

What do you guys mean by technically, it means nothing? At the Oath Ceremony they will ask you to promise not to have other citizenship, but you don't actually have to go to the Canadian Gov't to renounce your passport and citizenship from Canada?

I've always thought, when I got to that stage, that I would become a dual citizen. I would like to bring my parents over, years from now, when they retire so I can take care of them in their old age. But I can't be 1000% sure that I won't ever want to live in Canada again. Plus, don't you still need citizenship in order to collect your retirement? I have contributed to a locked RRSP account through an employer for many many years. I believe giving up your citizenship to Canada would also mean losing part of my retirement savings for the last 10+ years?

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

What do you guys mean by technically, it means nothing? At the Oath Ceremony they will ask you to promise not to have other citizenship, but you don't actually have to go to the Canadian Gov't to renounce your passport and citizenship from Canada?

I've always thought, when I got to that stage, that I would become a dual citizen. I would like to bring my parents over, years from now, when they retire so I can take care of them in their old age. But I can't be 1000% sure that I won't ever want to live in Canada again. Plus, don't you still need citizenship in order to collect your retirement? I have contributed to a locked RRSP account through an employer for many many years. I believe giving up your citizenship to Canada would also mean losing part of my retirement savings for the last 10+ years?

Even though you say during the oath ceremony you denounce all citizenships, it doesn't mean you have to go and renounce it in Canada. You can absolutely keep your Canadian citizenship!

Timeline

Even though you say during the oath ceremony you denounce all citizenships, it doesn't mean you have to go and renounce it in Canada. You can absolutely keep your Canadian citizenship!

Ahh, OK. I can see why it would be tough, personally, for some people to do that then. Since they're being required to take an oath and they know they want to remain dual.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Ahh, OK. I can see why it would be tough, personally, for some people to do that then. Since they're being required to take an oath and they know they want to remain dual.

Yeah, that's part of my issue with not applying for it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Way I look at it---Politicians lie all the time--and they are suppose to be the leaders of the country!! :-) I don't believe in forking over more $$$$ to the gov't than I have to! Lose ur greencard, more $$$ thrown out! Just my 2 cents and thats the great thing about Free countries, its my opinion--and no one else to care,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Way I look at it---Politicians lie all the time--and they are suppose to be the leaders of the country!! :-) I don't believe in forking over more $$$$ to the gov't than I have to! Lose ur greencard, more $$$ thrown out! Just my 2 cents and thats the great thing about Free countries, its my opinion--and no one else to care,lol

No kidding! rofl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.