paddington_bear

I-134 question--leaping ahead!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just submitted the I-129F yesterday and it will be delivered Thursday! (YAY! Wish the weather wasn't so terrible in the Midwest, otherwise it would arrive on Wednesday...). While I know kinks can more than likely develop with the forms, we have all of our evidence--bank statements tagging me at ATMs right around the corner from his addresses, his own bank statements showing that he was in a holiday location the same time I have bank statements proving I bought reservations there, passport stamps, pictures with time stamps, confirmation booking e-mails, the LOT! Plus we've never been married :) Hopefully this will be a smooth ride.

Now I have a new question:

I know it's leaping ahead, but it's something I need to consider and get ready for, financially. I am a doctoral candidate (previously a student, now finishing my dissertation and teaching at university) and for the past two years I've made a little over $20k with just myself (1) in the household because I get tuition waivers for over $30k. My stipend is limited..... that said, $20K (with the W-2s to prove it) is still above the 100% and 125% poverty guidelines for two people (even though I only needed to support one)...I've got a little in savings, though it's a newer account, and I have some big ticket items of value plus a small life insurance policy ($15k), and proof that my fiance--when we are married--can be added to my university Aetna health insurance and supported quite well on it.

Will I be OK as a support for my fiance in the I-134 form? I am concerned that, after an albeit small amount of taxes, I make only a little over the 125% guideline. Will they undoubtedly accept ANY form as long as it is over the poverty guideline? Or are they more discerning/picky? I can also show them how much money I get in tuition waivers....I have a 1099TT for that.

Or should I get a parent to co-sponsor with me just in case (have the form filled out and ready, but not submit it unless I need to)? I also can get a letter from my employer saying I am guaranteed work for 5-6 years as a teaching fellow at my university--and it's only 5-6 years to give me employment while I am on the job market looking for tenure-track jobs. I'll make even more as a fellow than I do right now....

I would just like to know this sooner rather than later so I can have all the appropriate things lined up... THANK YOU

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

London is not picky. Follow household of 2 poverty guidelines. They issue new guidelines usually in February so check for those numbers when they come out.

It is your gross income so forget about after taxes. They won't ask about any debt you have or if he will have health insurance. If you have some proper documentation with the I-134 showing your income the interviewer will likely glance at it and never ask you anything about it. He may ask your fiancé what you are studying or teaching, but that would be to find out if your fiancé knows anything about you. No pile of proofs of your relationship. Really that easy in London. A little conversation and done.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yay! Thank you :)

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.