ncglenn

DS-230 Question 30 Places Lived

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wondered how accurate they want to know each place I've lived since age 16. I'm 53 now and moved a couple times between my current city and the city next to me. I can't remember exact dates. Is approximate good enough? Is there any way they'd know if I wasn't exactly right?

Thanks

Just my opinion, but if you can approximate the date(s) down to a month and year, you should be ok. What the USCIS is looking for is to see if they can find out if you were any trouble there, legal trouble that is.

Best of luck!

Timeline

Thanks for that info. I know I'm pretty close, but probably off a little. I'll have my police check with me as well to prove I'm a good guy with no record. I also read that the DS-230 has been replaced with the DS-260 which you do online, but I'm sure the questions are similar so I'll refer to my printed DS-230 and study it in case the C.O. asks me questions about any dates etc.

The ds-260 asks for month year but exact address for every place you've lived, no matter how long you were there, since age 16. Do your best. Use google maps and even drive to said places for the address.

You cannot leave any gaps in time or the form will not submit.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

This sure is stressful! How to people remember all that if they moved a number of times when they were young? Is there anyway they would know if you answer wrong and possibly deny you? If that's the case and they can find out, then why do they ask?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just wondered how accurate they want to know each place I've lived since age 16. I'm 53 now and moved a couple times between my current city and the city next to me. I can't remember exact dates. Is approximate good enough? Is there any way they'd know if I wasn't exactly right?

Thanks

Approximate / estimate is good enough as long as your police records from both cities are "clean", you're good to go.

Timeline

They sure make this stressful. We went through all this stuff bringing my wife to Canada after we got married in 2002. I never thought it would be like this after being married over 11 years. Maybe I'm just reading too many negative posts, and maybe the ones I've read about that got denials are not telling us everything or maybe they're younger and there might be more suspicion and need for more evidence.

Most people who get denials are not sharing everything they need to share with the rest of us, but for the sake of their privacy, I cannot blame them.

I moved 18 times from age 16 to 32. I filled it out to the best of my ability using google maps (find the street and zoom in for the house number...), talking to my mom, and making more than few lists of all the addresses. Because I hadn't been out of Canada for more than 3 months, I only needed the one police report. The month/year part made it a lot easier than exact dates, which I had tried to do as well based off of the current information at the time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi NLR

Thanks for the advice and help. I've moved back and forth from Mississauga to Toronto a few times since age 16 and I know the exact addresses. I'll have to give estimated timeframes and can't ask my parents as they are both deceased. I live in Toronto now so would the one police report from here be good enough?

Thanks,

ncglenn

Yes if you haven't live in another country, then just the police report that checks CPIC is fine. if you've never been convicted of a crime you also do not need fingerprints.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.