kssette

Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas on what to do?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The tax thing is wrong. Before my husband was living here I filed married filing separately, my tax accountant told me to do it that way.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Get an ITIN (didn't think of that).

Yes, you should ABSOLUTELY be filing married jointly ( the USCIS considers any tax transcripts/returns to be proof of good behavior/favorable immigrant conduct anyway ).

I asked both my tax and immigration lawyer about this - you are ok to go

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

you can open joint bank account with , credit union , like state department federal credit union , pen fed , navy federal . i had open account when my spouse was still overseas , state department federal credit union just asked copy of the passport for joint person .

Filed: Timeline

Where did you get that tax information from? That's not accurate. I spoke with the IRS and was told regardless of my spouse's residence, I have to file married. The difference is filing married seperate or married jointly. You cannot file single if you are not single.

My husband does not live in the US currently, but when he was here visiting, we were able to add him to my checking account. We went into the branch, spoke with the manager and explained our situation. It was no problem, they just made a photo copy of our marriage certificate, his UK driver license and his passport.

Do you have photos together? Phone records, maybe a couple chat logs? Copies of plane tickets when you visited each other, affidavits from family members who can attest that the marriage is bona fide.

OP is speaking of the W-4 to update your allowances. I was going to do this yesterday for 2014 tax year but the W-4 says you must check single status if spouse is a non resident alien. A little off topic but you are not required to file married; If you are married you can file single but odds are you will just pay higher taxes depending on your level of income. If you don't have an SSN for your spouse or don't file for an ITIN for your spouse you can just file single this year and file an amended return after getting an SSN for your spouse to claim the deductions. If filing married but separately you may pay a higher tax rate than single. If your single and file a married joint return that is just blatant tax fraud. You have to look at the limits for your income level to make a decision on which works best for you. When you sign the tax form it asks did you complete to the best of your knowledge. If your involved in a spouse immigration case and you file single because you're confused then you answered to the best of your knowledge and you're fine. If you are filing with intent on sticking it to the man that would be easily proven in an audit.

Not all visa applicant's can travel to the US for a visit. Physical presence is required to open a bank account of both parties.That said can the OP try opening a joint account in the spouse's home country. I was able to do this in my wife's home as I happened to have a of my FBI background check with me on a visit to my wife. I was then able to set up international transfer from my bank in the US and I transfer money into our account in my wife's country once a month as family maintenance which she uses to pay her rent. This at least shows I'm financially supporting my spouse.

A dozen good photos from your wedding or with other members of her family with you. Always make sure you are in the pictures with her. You can add your spouse to your company's health/life insurance. I changed my personal information in my company to married and put my wife in my companies emergency contacts. My companies HR sends you a letter about changes on a company form. I also put her as my emergency contact in my passport; if your married why wouldn't she be the emergency contact. I think many people overlook this but the CO at the embassy pointed this out from my passport when I did my son's CRBA; so they do look. My company has a quarterly news letter for personal announcements; I added my wife to that with a photo of our wedding with the details of our wedding. It comes out once a quarter as a magazine. I thought it would help show employment and relationship. Keep travel records and receipts from your visits. Phone records or text logs are good. Odds are you won't need this stuff but it's better to have it if your asked. Just a few ideas for you.

Edited by Todd&Hanh

you can open joint bank account with , credit union , like state department federal credit union , pen fed , navy federal . i had open account when my spouse was still overseas , state department federal credit union just asked copy of the passport for joint person .

I thought that was only for employees of the state department. They only have 5 branches around Washington DC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

I had to file Married Filing Separately which was more expensive, but at least my husband's name was on my taxes along with his ITIN. One word about getting an ITIN, they are very picky on the documents you submit. Read the instructions closely.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can add him to your life insurance my wife did that before i come to US it was good proof plus you can talk with your bank cus my wife she did put me in her bank account and get me bank card too but after couple months the bank did stop it but they told her that they can send me some papers and need to be signed front notary in morocco. all that proofs you have its good but the most important thing is that you need to write affidavit and your husband too, explaining how you meet how long have you been talk before got married and if your case have been denied they should give you reason why then you need to explain what they was using against you ( sirry idont know what is your case situation but that what did happen for me) you should have the affidavit write one from you one from your husband you can do it by hand or type it but need to be sign you need say all and explain everything. plus if your family and your husband family can do that for you too, so uscis can know that your family accept that marriage i did all of that and hamdolillah did work, our lawyer was surprise of how much proofs we have, what is more imporatnt than all of that is have faith and pray so hard and so much for allah and believe on your prays and inchae allah you will make it.

You can also get affidavits from people who know you as a couple. Get people to write statements talking about your relationship history, etc. You may want to get them (the statements) notarized, too, although for the purpose of the interview maybe just have them handwritten (in English or get them translated, signed, and with contact info for the people who wrote them.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

They also understand that when couples are not yet living together in the same country there won't be a lot of co-mingling of finances. Before my husband lived here we really had nothing to show as far as that goes. After our petition was approved we opened a joint bank account in Amman when I was on a trip to Jordan, we were going to give proof of the account the day of the interview, but the CO never asked to see any of our additional evidence. What did you send for evidence with the petition?

OP is speaking of the W-4 to update your allowances. I was going to do this yesterday for 2014 tax year but the W-4 says you must check single status if spouse is a non resident alien. A little off topic but you are not required to file married; If you are married you can file single but odds are you will just pay higher taxes depending on your level of income. If you don't have an SSN for your spouse or don't file for an ITIN for your spouse you can just file single this year and file an amended return after getting an SSN for your spouse to claim the deductions. If filing married but separately you may pay a higher tax rate than single. If your single and file a married joint return that is just blatant tax fraud. You have to look at the limits for your income level to make a decision on which works best for you. When you sign the tax form it asks did you complete to the best of your knowledge. If your involved in a spouse immigration case and you file single because you're confused then you answered to the best of your knowledge and you're fine. If you are filing with intent on sticking it to the man that would be easily proven in an audit.

Not all visa applicant's can travel to the US for a visit. Physical presence is required to open a bank account of both parties.That said can the OP try opening a joint account in the spouse's home country. I was able to do this in my wife's home as I happened to have a of my FBI background check with me on a visit to my wife. I was then able to set up international transfer from my bank in the US and I transfer money into our account in my wife's country once a month as family maintenance which she uses to pay her rent. This at least shows I'm financially supporting my spouse.

A dozen good photos from your wedding or with other members of her family with you. Always make sure you are in the pictures with her. You can add your spouse to your company's health/life insurance. I changed my personal information in my company to married and put my wife in my companies emergency contacts. My companies HR sends you a letter about changes on a company form. I also put her as my emergency contact in my passport; if your married why wouldn't she be the emergency contact. I think many people overlook this but the CO at the embassy pointed this out from my passport when I did my son's CRBA; so they do look. My company has a quarterly news letter for personal announcements; I added my wife to that with a photo of our wedding with the details of our wedding. It comes out once a quarter as a magazine. I thought it would help show employment and relationship. Keep travel records and receipts from your visits. Phone records or text logs are good. Odds are you won't need this stuff but it's better to have it if your asked. Just a few ideas for you.

if there was "LIKE" button for this post I'd be clicking it !

I'm reading all the advice given about not being able to file single if your spouse is out of the country.... Come one guys. You can file single if your spouse lives outside of the country. I did this year. And I went through his years and years ago and the USCIS NEVER EVER questioned my filing status. They were only concerned with the BOTTOM LINE figure of how much I made that year ! When my husband finally gets to live here , then I will file as Married.

Do what you feel is right for your situation. You can always go back and amend it.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

if there was "LIKE" button for this post I'd be clicking it !

I'm reading all the advice given about not being able to file single if your spouse is out of the country.... Come one guys. You can file single if your spouse lives outside of the country. I did this year. And I went through his years and years ago and the USCIS NEVER EVER questioned my filing status. They were only concerned with the BOTTOM LINE figure of how much I made that year ! When my husband finally gets to live here , then I will file as Married.

Do what you feel is right for your situation. You can always go back and amend it.

Thanks

I got into an argument on another post about this. The guy claimed if your married and check single you committed perjury, you'll go to prison and you just told the USCIS your not married and the visa will be rejected. WHAT THE HELL??? It's a tax form!!! There's a thousand legal reasons to check single if married when filing taxes. It's OK as you probably paid too much money and your allowed to file an amended return later. In a spouse immigration case H&R Block will tell you to file single as that's whats on your W-4. Tax law is complex but flexible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.