6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We're about 10 months out and I'm already thinking ahead. We definitely have a loving and bonafide marriage and I want our ROC to go as smoothly as our AOS.

We have been back to see her family 3 times (spent Christmas with them last year) and have all the boarding passes, photos etc. A ton of cards from my parents to us. Photos from trips we've taken since my wife's been here.

For primary evidence we have the following:

1. 2 joint savings accounts

2. 2 joint checking accounts

3. Gas bill in both names

4. Home phone bill in both names

5. Cell phone bill in both names

6. Electric bill in both names

7. California drivers license

8. Added wife to AMEX account and she has her own card

9. Added wife to my health insurance right when she got here

10. She is on the auto insurance policy

11. Water delivery bill in both names

We opened up the first bank accounts right when she got here. Unfortunately they were grouped in on my bank statement which is why we opened additional ones last year that have just our names on it. Most of the joint utility/phone accounts were changed at the end of last year because I hadn't given it much thought and I pay the bills anyway. I bought my wife a car in October however, if I wanted her on the loan/registration we would have gotten a ridiculous interest rate because she has no credit off her SSN which apparently translates to bad credit. I own our home with a mortgage. The lender will not agree to change in title due to the credit issue. Our water/trash can only have one name on the account for whatever reason. My wife starts school next week with a view towards getting a job and has not worked since she got here. I can of course get plenty off affidavits it they would be helpful.

Our K-1 and AOS went so smoothly as we prepared so dilligently and I want the same for the ROC so just looking for any comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I've been doing the same and I've got til 2015. :) Preparedness, yay!

Do you have 401k plans or life insurance? Having those is good, since you can show the payout beneficiary is your partner. Your list is actually already pretty great. :)

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Filing your taxes as "married" will also be excellent primary evidence (and including tax return transcripts since your AOS).

With your wife not working, filing "married filing jointly" will more than likely give you a nice tax reduction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I do have a 401K and hadn't even thought of making her the beneficiary, good idea! Also have a life insurance policy through our credit union.

We filed "married filing jointly" for 2012 and will do the same for 2013.

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.