kc247

Cell phone plans in the US?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I like the sounds of this! He is already with verizon & really likes the service. I have never bought a phone off ebay... did you just search verizon phones??

Yes, just search Verizon or Page Plus phones and they'll pop up. I've been buying used and refurbished phones off ebay for years. The only Verizon phones that will not work on page plus are blackberries and Verizon's own prepaid phones.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I am planning on dropping our data to 2g. We never get close to the 4g mark, even streaming music. How did you get the added minutes to Canada?! I want that! Because right now im paying the long distance rates if I cant call from google voice and if I can avoid that, I will!

My phone was free on black friday - samsung s4. Hehe

If you have high speed internet, get magic jack or ooma or something similar. You plug a USB device into your computer and into a land line phone and you can call Canada all day long if you want.

FYI Magic jack has an app on Itunes (maybe google market or Android market) that allows you to make long distance calls over your wifi connection. That's what I use when we're in Canada to call home.

Edited by sheeshkabelle

USCIS- 260 Days

8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
CASE COMPLETE!!

08/14/2012~ SSN Received

I have a magic jack, just haven't hooked it up. I use google voice right now to call back to Canada, it just shows some random number from California. (which is annoying) The part that worries me more is GETTING calls.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I have a magic jack, just haven't hooked it up. I use google voice right now to call back to Canada, it just shows some random number from California. (which is annoying) The part that worries me more is GETTING calls.

Magic jack will give you your own phone number, so then you can receive calls too. I used magic jack for a few years and was happy with it.

We finally got fiber optic internet and TV here last year, so switched to AT&T Uverse for internet, phone and cable. I loves it!

USCIS- 260 Days

8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
CASE COMPLETE!!

08/14/2012~ SSN Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We use Google Voice and caller ID always puts us down from Hollywood (we're outside of Seattle). I like texting family free with it. However I do find that the phone quality over wifi suffers a lot with my cell. My brother called to tell us about the birth of our nephew and it took me a few minutes of trying to talk before finding out it was a boy and the name. Ugh.

Edited by VeeNDee

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

We use Google Voice and caller ID always puts us down from Hollywood (we're outside of Seattle). I like texting family free with it. However I do find that the phone quality over wifi suffers a lot with my cell. My brother called to tell us about the birth of our nephew and it took me a few minutes of trying to talk before finding out it was a boy and the name. Ugh.

They aren't even allowing you to do it over the phone anymore. I can only do it on the computer. I can still use hangouts (gtalk) on the cellphon and could do a video call, but have always just used skype or facetime for that. I would just like the minutes on my cell. We were paying about $170 separately (his phone in the USA and mine in Canada) so anything equal to that is fine with me.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I suggest you look at Ting (ting.com). It's a no contract service and any minutes or text messages you don't use this month will carry over for the next month. It runs on Sprint's network, customer service is US-based and they have a nice variety of phones.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

I suggest you look at Ting (ting.com). It's a no contract service and any minutes or text messages you don't use this month will carry over for the next month. It runs on Sprint's network, customer service is US-based and they have a nice variety of phones.

Looks nice do you have any problems internationally texting? I was looking into virgin then they said that they have NO plans for free texting in Canada...I didn't even look more into them..I have to be able to text my Canadian family & friends!

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

Looks nice do you have any problems internationally texting? I was looking into virgin then they said that they have NO plans for free texting in Canada...I didn't even look more into them..I have to be able to text my Canadian family & friends!

Free texting in Canada or to Canada? Big difference. My daughter has Virgin mobile here in the States and she texts her cousins back in Canada all the time. Most often I find folks back in Canada seem to have restrictions on being allowed to text outside their area code or outside Canada. They receive my texts but sometimes cannot respond. Facetime is handy if everyone has an iPhone on both sides.

Any US plan is going to roam 10 miles over the border into Canada unless you get an international plan as well. We actually bought a Cdn smartphone to use just when we're back home visiting in ON because we feel naked without a phone...mind you its quiet ;)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After this discussion I looked into pages plus cellular. Found kitty wireless and her forums. Dh and I have now switched over. We will pay $60 instead of $170. We had to have our 4g smartphones flashed which we paid to have remotely done via computer. The Kitty wireless forum was really helpful. Nice to keep our verizon phones but not keep the huge fees.

Free texting in Canada or to Canada? Big difference. My daughter has Virgin mobile here in the States and she texts her cousins back in Canada all the time. Most often I find folks back in Canada seem to have restrictions on being allowed to text outside their area code or outside Canada. They receive my texts but sometimes cannot respond. Facetime is handy if everyone has an iPhone on both sides.

Any US plan is going to roam 10 miles over the border into Canada unless you get an international plan as well. We actually bought a Cdn smartphone to use just when we're back home visiting in ON because we feel naked without a phone...mind you its quiet wink.png

Nonono sorry, free texting TO Canada haha. That is strange, I talked to a virgin representative person and they told me at the moment they have no texting plans to Canada, it costs something like 20 cents a text or something. I told them I couldn't go with them if that was the case! :S

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

Ugh - good to know they're consistent

Daughter has a smart phone - unlimited data, texting and voice for $55/month. Hers is the Beyond Talk and not the Paylo & Text plan - maybe that makes a difference?

Nonono sorry, free texting TO Canada haha. That is strange, I talked to a virgin representative person and they told me at the moment they have no texting plans to Canada, it costs something like 20 cents a text or something. I told them I couldn't go with them if that was the case! :S

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think im going to go with T-Mobiles $30 a month plan, 100 mins talk, unlimited text and 5gb of lte, then 3g unlimited. If I go over on the voice, I'll use skype which I subscribe to at $3 a month.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally I think the plans here are very expensive. We have verizon. It's 180 a month for two people but im sure we could knock it down a bit because we dont use that much data. The non-contract plans have ####### for service in my area but they do have a good price. But it doesn't do me any good when I cant be understood and cant understand what is being said. Sprint offers unlimited data but doesn't have 4g if thats important to you. Without a smart phone you could get a good deal tho, but the same is true up north. Lol

I completely agree! I always thought cell phone plans were cheaper in the states... Gimmie my Canadian plan back!

I agree Niki, any good plan with minutes to Canada is expensive. We have a Verizon Share everything Plan with 2GB of data and 1000minutes to Canada for $163 per month. But we never have shaky reception or dropped calls, I think it's worth the extra money for the coverage.

We have the same plan, but ours is a little cheaper... When I was added to the plan, we got to talking to the Verizon rep and found out that he was dating a Canadian, and considering a K-1; he ended up giving us a discount on our plan! We pay $123 a month.

I am planning on dropping our data to 2g. We never get close to the 4g mark, even streaming music. How did you get the added minutes to Canada?! I want that! Because right now im paying the long distance rates if I cant call from google voice and if I can avoid that, I will!

We just asked if they had a Canadian minutes add on package...

I have an iphone, so I'm able to use iMessage; but for other friends; I use GroupMe (made by Skype), it’s a messaging app that works for me atm. I haven’t looked into anything else yet.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2013-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-02-26

I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-06-17

RFE Reply(s) : 2013-07-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-07-08

Interview Date : 2013-08-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2013-08-15

US Entry : 2013-08-17

Marriage : 2013-09-13

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Approved Date : 2013-01-10

Date Card Received : 2014-01-17

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2013-11-04

NOA Date : 2013-11-06

Bio. Appt. : 2013-12-24

Interview Date : 2014-02-06

Approved : Yes

Greencard Received: 2014-02-13

• 1 month later...
Timeline

when my hubby moved from canada - he had his bell phone unlocked (he had to pay $75 for this) and then we bought tmobile prepaid sim card and used that.

that was his iphone 3gs, now he has an iphone 5 that was also from canada - which he had unlocked.

he has tried tmobile prepaid, spot mobile and is not using 35orless - they all use tmobile towers.

we've liked 35orless the best - it's all unlimited and literally $35 or less per month.

great deal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.