Yellowhead

Separation and Taxation (US and Canada)

4 posts in this topic

My husband and I separated on February 3, 2013. I was living in California and worked for 3 weeks before moving back to Canada. We have not yet divorced but plan to file for that shortly.

I got a call from him today in California and he is doing his taxes and wants to include me on his taxes in California. I worked a lot in Canada in 2013 and paid a lot of taxes in Canada. I am listed as separated for taxation purposes, however he never changed his status in California. After filing as married by separated, and not claiming me as a dependent, he is noticing he owes money on taxes rather than getting a refund. He is frustrated and called me saying he may have to include me on his taxes for 2013 as a result.

My issues are as follows:

- I am not claiming him on my Canadian taxes as I am listed as separated.

- I am not filing US taxes as I know there is a tax treaty and was simply going to include out of country income on my Canadian return.

- I am fearing he will file for both of us in California and have it mess up my taxes and return here in Canada. He insists on "asking someone to see" even though I told him to absolutely NOT file for me there.

Could someone shed light on what will happen in either situation and what my best option is with this? I thought you could only file in one country due to the tax treaty but I want to provide him with this information so he leaves me out of it all. I don't want his slacking off on changing his status and wanting to pay his taxes owed to affect my taxes in Canada and cause headaches for me. Please help :S

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Look out for numero uno!!!! Great forum here for taxes http://forums.serbinski.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

It seems to me that if he claims you without your permission, that he should be in the wrong and should face any penalties - especially since you two were separated so early in 2013. It may also be significant as to which of you files first.

He should have changed his withholding once you two separated....not your fault that he didn't.

You might want to push ahead quickly for the divorce since, even though separated, you may (or may not, IANAL) still face some liability for debts that he incurs, possibly including tax debts...

Also....if he does file for "both of you" I think that he somehow needs to get your signature on the forms....if he forges it then I think he'll be in for a whole lot more trouble than missing a refund.

Edited by bob.sansmal

The tax treaty doesn't mean you don't have to file taxes, it prevents you from being double taxed. If you had any money withheld by the state or IRS, you would want to file to try and get that back. If he's going to get a refund by filing jointly, make him split the refund with you. It can't hurt to run the numbers and see how things will turn out.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.