domwom3721

Military career just ended! now no current job/income!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

So I have been in the military for 4 years but my last day in the military is FEB 1st 2014 and our interview is on the 10th of FEB in South Korea. The 1st year in the military i made just at the income requirement and the previous 3 years I made about 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000. I am really nervous about not having a job while going to the interview. When I move to the states I will be a college student(the army will pay for my education and give me a monthly stipend for housing). I will look for any part time job while in school and I will be in the army reserves. I do not have much for a bank account, which is approximately $8,000. I am about to ask my parents if they can co-sponsor us. My dad makes more than the minimum needed, but also has 5 children. Does that play into any of this? Also, is there a minimum amount needed in our bank accounts. FINGERS CROSSED FOR US PLEASE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Maybe someone else can chime in on whether you can include the stipend you will receive from the army as 'income'. While you have plans to look for a part-time job to bolster your income, they cannot base their decision on a plan that has not come to fruition, so, you will most likely need a co-sponsor. Your co-sponsor needs to make over 125% for his household own household + your fiancee. How to calculate household size:

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ

So, if your dad has 5 children and all 5 are minors, then his household size is him, his wife, his 5 kids and your fiance = 8. If his kids are over the age of majority and he doesn't claim them as dependents, then it's him, his wife and your fiance = 3.

poverty guidelines are here: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf He can also show his savings but these will be counted at 1/5 their amount (e.g. if he has $20000 in savings, they will count for $4000).

I would also look at the reviews for your embassy to see if they accept co-sponsors for K1, as not all do.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

$8,000 sounds like A LOT to me. It's way, way more than what I'll be able to show in my bank account...

I'm not sure they do any research into your employment beyond what you provide them during the interview. For instance I doubt they will call the Army to see if you are active. Take from that what you will.

11/27/2013 - NOA1

12/12/2013 - ARN Change

03/18/2014 - RFE sent (no email notice or update online!)

03/29/2014 - RFE notice received in the mail

03/31/2014 - RFE response overnighted

04/08/2014 - NOA2! Hooray!!! (132 days)

04/11/2014 - Post Decision Activity: Forwarded to Department of State (NVC)

04/12/2014 - Received NOA2 hardcopy. Fancy!

04/23/2014 - NVC Received

04/28/2014 - NVC forwarded to consulate. GAME ON!

05/19/2014 - Interview date received via email (by request)

06/10/2014 - Interview - Approved, but... in ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING due to incompetence

07/17/2014 - My Congressman's office sends an inquiry on our behalf

07/18/2014 - VISA SUPPOSEDLY ISSUED & MAILED!! Status reads "Ready" but was mailed per email to Congressman's office

07/28/2014 - COMPUTER GLITCH. Still waiting for visa.

08/04/2014 - ISSUED!

08/07/2014 - Visa received!!!!!!!!!!!

08/12/2014 - US ENTRY!!!!!!!

08/13/2014 - Applied for SSN

08/19/2014 - Received Social Security Card

08/22/2014 - Obtained Marriage License

09/08/2014 - We are married!

09/18/2014 - Filed I-485 & I-765

09/26/2014 - NOA 1 / I-485 & I-765

10/23/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11/07/2014 - EAD card ordered to be produced
11/17/2014 - Employment Authorization card received!
02/18/2015 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case received
07/03/2015 - Notice of Permanent Residency Approval / Welcome Notice received! (Issued 06/27/2015)
02/03/2016 - Got him out of my house.
05/27/2016 - Divorce finalized.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

$8,000 sounds like A LOT to me. It's way, way more than what I'll be able to show in my bank account...

I'm not sure they do any research into your employment beyond what you provide them during the interview. For instance I doubt they will call the Army to see if you are active. Take from that what you will.

$8,000 in assets would count for about $1,600 when supporting a fiancee, which means he is $17, 787 short in yearly income for a two-person household.

Do not lie to the embassy. If you are unemployed, say so. Remember that by signing the form, you are certifying under penalty of perjury under US law that the statements you made in the form are true and correct.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.