hopelesslyinlove1

Domestic Violence Conviction

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all....I hope I am not re-inventing the wheel, however, I have a question that I am desperate need of help with. I was convicted of a domestic violence midemeanor over 20 years ago. Will this hurt my visa application status? And if so, do I need to apply for a waiver?

This is my first Visa application of any kind. I have had a clean record since then and have been gainfully employed since the incident. I am applying for a K-1 Fiance visa for my fiance who lives in Brazil. I have read about IMBRA and did not think this applies to me. If I do need a waiver, I am CLUELESS on what to write, how to write it and what it must contain.

We did not meeting through a dating site or any brokers. I met her 17 years ago when I was working in Brazil and we have "dated" off and on since that time. Once again, if this question has been answered already I apologize.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

The only thing they want is that you have met your fiance the last 2 years.

17 years doesnt count.

Keep in mind the last 2 years.

17 years doesnt count.

17 years doesnt count.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

They dont,see your record 20 yeas ago.

They only check 10 years ago.

How do you know this? Does that mean someone who was convicted of murder 11 years ago won't have a record that shows up? Were do you get your so called information? You really need to stop making things up as you go along, time and time again you give erroneous advice on this site. The OP needs the correct answer, not just some number you pulled out of a hat.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

17 years doesnt count.

17 years doesnt count.

17 years doesnt count.

What this person is trying to say is that you must have met in person within 2 years prior to filing the petition. If you havent met face to face for 17 years you must meet now before you file.

To the OP: although I don't know the specific answer to your question, If you go to the site immigrate2us.net you will most likely be able to get an answer. They deal with complicated immigration issues and questions and will most likely be able to advise you. Good luck.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

What you will have to comply with under IMBRA is providing certified copies of the court and police records that show the charges and disposition for your DV convictions (in your I-129F package).

The embassy will also provide your fiancee with the records of the conviction(s) at the interview, so she should be made aware of them in advance. I don't think you will need a waiver as you are not a multiple filer (i.e. this is your first petition for a foreign fiance).

You also say that you first met your fiancee 17 years ago. Have you met her in person within the last 2 years? That is a requirement for the I-129F petition to be approved.

Edited by kitthekat

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.