ethomps

Montreal Interview on Tuesday - Do I Have Everything? (Checklist)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey again!

I need to make this post for the sake of my sanity-- as my interview in Montreal (K1 visa) is only 3 days away and I'm worried about forgetting/overlooking something I need. Here's what I have:

I. Loomis/CSC Appointment Info

• Appointment confirmation email
  • CSC "Fiance- K1/K2" details print-out
  • CSC "Register for Courier Services Only" details print-out
  • CSC receipt for K1 payment

II. Packet 4 Contents

• Passport & Photocopy of Passport biographic page
  • Sealed medical examination results
  • U.S. style passport photos (x2) (Taken within the past 30 days)
  • DS-230 (Part 1)
  • DS-156 (x2)
  • DS-156K (Unsigned)
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • Original Signed Letter of Intent - Petitioner/Beneficiary (Both signed within the last 30 days)
  • Original Long-Form Birth Certificate (Beneficiary)
  • Original Police/Criminal Record Name Check (Beneficiary)
  • Original I-134 Affidavit of Support
  • Letter from Employer
  • Recent pay-stubs
  • 2012 Federal Tax Return
  • Most recent Bank Statement
  • Photocopy of Birth Certificate (Petitioner)
  • Photocopy of Passport (Petitioner)

III. Proof of Relationship

• Photos of us together
  • Flight intinerary/tickets
  • Written letters to one another
  • Phone records
  • Wedding ring receipts
  • Wedding shower cards from our guests

That's pretty much all I've got, and I've made 2 sets of photocopies of everything (one for the interview, the other for my filing cabinet) Some of our relationship evidence is a little older now since we haven't seen one another for a year and a half now (as we kept under-estimating how long this whole process would take for us).

Does anyone see anything in this list that I'm missing that I'll most likely need? Any tips or advice given is GREATLY appreciated! Sooo close, and sooo nervous haha tongue.png

Edited by ethomps

K-1 Visa

01/26/13 -- I-129F Sent
02/05/13 -- I-129F NOA1
08/28/13 -- I-129F NOA2 (204 days from NOA1 date)
01/21/14 -- Montreal Interview (350 days from NOA1 date)
01/27/14 -- K-1 Visa Received
02/01/14 -- POE at Canada-USA Border Peace Bridge (Buffalo, NY)
02/24/14 -- Private Courthouse Marriage
02/26/14 -- Private 2 Week Honeymoon
04/13/14 -- Wedding with Friends/Family

AOS

04/08/14 -- Filed for AOS/EAD/AP
04/11/14 -- NOA
05/12/14 -- Biometrics Appointment

07/02/14 -- EAD/AP Card Received (84 days from NOA date)
07/10/14 -- NPIW Letter
02/24/15 -- Service Request Filed
03/05/15 -- Filed for EAD/AP Renewal

03/10/15 -- Received email acceptance notification for EAD/AP Renewal
03/20/15 -- Filed for Ombudsman Case Assistance (DHS-7001)
04/03/15 -- Biometrics Appointment (Round 2)
04/08/15 -- RFE (Expired Medical)

04/21/15 -- Medical Appointment (Round 2)
04/24/15 -- RFE Response Sent
04/30/15 -- GC Approved (Card In Production)
05/08/15 -- GC & Welcome Notice Received

Hasta la vista, USCIS B-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

wow, to me it sounds like you are really set! (And as I read your very thorough checklist, it made me second guess what I brought to my interview - ha!).

I am not sure what it is like in Montreal (I interviewed in Vancouver), but the only 'proof of relationship' the officer asked to see were photos of myself and my fiancee together. I brought visa bills, cell phone records, etc. but they didn't look at any of that. That being said, there is nothing wrong with bringing as much as you can. My fiance was unable to attend the interview with me, so I think that is why the officer wanted to see 'proof' - and I suspect, if your fiance is in S.C. and not with you, they will ask to see proof of your relationship as well.

Good luck -- and remember to breathe!

Oh, and one more thing -- again, not sure how it will be in Montreal, but my interview time in Vancouver was 10am, and I arrived at 930am. However, I did not speak to a consular officer until near noon, so I would highly recommend bringing a book to read, etc (cannot bring electronics/cell phone into consulate) to pass the time... I was staring at the wall while I was waiting several hours and time passed by S-L-O-W!!

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Timeline

@ethomps: Do we need DS-156,DS 156K and DS230? Acc to the website it says only DS-160 confirmation is needed?

Check this link:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/visa_news/ds160-100813.html

Good luck on interview,it will go well :) mine is next week...eeeks!!

Hmm, I thought all you needed was DS-156 (2 copies) and DS-156K? & don't they already have those from your packet 3? Or do you have to fill out another copy of each? Also was not aware we needed copy of the petitioner's passport? I have a copy from our i-129f I can bring, but had not read that it was needed. Also, is just a photocopy okay of the petitioner birth certificate? I have read some people saying they brought the original. I don't have the original.. I would need him to mail it now if it is needed!

Edited by kc247

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

wow, to me it sounds like you are really set! (And as I read your very thorough checklist, it made me second guess what I brought to my interview - ha!).

I am not sure what it is like in Montreal (I interviewed in Vancouver), but the only 'proof of relationship' the officer asked to see were photos of myself and my fiancee together. I brought visa bills, cell phone records, etc. but they didn't look at any of that. That being said, there is nothing wrong with bringing as much as you can. My fiance was unable to attend the interview with me, so I think that is why the officer wanted to see 'proof' - and I suspect, if your fiance is in S.C. and not with you, they will ask to see proof of your relationship as well.

Good luck -- and remember to breathe!

Oh, and one more thing -- again, not sure how it will be in Montreal, but my interview time in Vancouver was 10am, and I arrived at 930am. However, I did not speak to a consular officer until near noon, so I would highly recommend bringing a book to read, etc (cannot bring electronics/cell phone into consulate) to pass the time... I was staring at the wall while I was waiting several hours and time passed by S-L-O-W!!

Thanks for your comforting words! I'm in my hotel room now (after 8 hours of driving) and am super nervous! Only 12 hours till my interview.. blink.png

@ethomps: Do we need DS-156,DS 156K and DS230? Acc to the website it says only DS-160 confirmation is needed?

Check this link:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/visa_news/ds160-100813.html

Good luck on interview,it will go well smile.png mine is next week...eeeks!!

I'm not 100% sure to be honest-- I just followed the Packet 4 guidelines, with the K-1 Visa checklist (there's both a spousal checklist, and a K1 checklist in the packet 4-- so be careful to be reading the right one). I completed all 3 (the 156, 156K and 230) just to be sure. As kc247 just said, those forms should have been sent in with Packet 3 anyways. So if you didn't send those in, I'd definitely make sure you have them with you for the interview just to be on the safe side! But someone here might tell you otherwise *shrugs*. Here's a link to packet 4 for any future readers haha.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet4-MTL.pdf

Hmm, I thought all you needed was DS-156 (2 copies) and DS-156K? & don't they already have those from your packet 3? Or do you have to fill out another copy of each? Also was not aware we needed copy of the petitioner's passport? I have a copy from our i-129f I can bring, but had not read that it was needed. Also, is just a photocopy okay of the petitioner birth certificate? I have read some people saying they brought the original. I don't have the original.. I would need him to mail it now if it is needed!

I'm not entirely sure, I'm just bringing them to be on the extra safe side! I sent them in with Packet 3 as you've just said. Also, the petitioner's passport is just extra for the part where it says "Copy of the U.S. petitioner status in the USA". I'm pretty sure I read you can use the petitioner's passport or birth certificate for this part. I decided to bring both to be on the safe side.

Edited by ethomps

K-1 Visa

01/26/13 -- I-129F Sent
02/05/13 -- I-129F NOA1
08/28/13 -- I-129F NOA2 (204 days from NOA1 date)
01/21/14 -- Montreal Interview (350 days from NOA1 date)
01/27/14 -- K-1 Visa Received
02/01/14 -- POE at Canada-USA Border Peace Bridge (Buffalo, NY)
02/24/14 -- Private Courthouse Marriage
02/26/14 -- Private 2 Week Honeymoon
04/13/14 -- Wedding with Friends/Family

AOS

04/08/14 -- Filed for AOS/EAD/AP
04/11/14 -- NOA
05/12/14 -- Biometrics Appointment

07/02/14 -- EAD/AP Card Received (84 days from NOA date)
07/10/14 -- NPIW Letter
02/24/15 -- Service Request Filed
03/05/15 -- Filed for EAD/AP Renewal

03/10/15 -- Received email acceptance notification for EAD/AP Renewal
03/20/15 -- Filed for Ombudsman Case Assistance (DHS-7001)
04/03/15 -- Biometrics Appointment (Round 2)
04/08/15 -- RFE (Expired Medical)

04/21/15 -- Medical Appointment (Round 2)
04/24/15 -- RFE Response Sent
04/30/15 -- GC Approved (Card In Production)
05/08/15 -- GC & Welcome Notice Received

Hasta la vista, USCIS B-)

Timeline

@ethomps: I did send those forms in with Packet 3, but that was before they changed their guidelines to replacing forms with DS-160 only. I sent them Packet 3 mailed in and by email as well as they had requested.

Anyhow I will keep the forms with me just in case.

my interview is on 24th and I am stressed out!!

Good luck for tomorrow, do post the experience whenever you can. Wishing you both all the very best :)

Timeline

you're talking about your fiance's tax return, letter of employment etc.... right? sorry just wanted to clarify. because i have my interview coming up and the thought never struck me that i may need to provide my own financial info (even though it's my fiance and his father that are doing the co-sponsoring for that part).

you're talking about your fiance's tax return, letter of employment etc.... right? sorry just wanted to clarify. because i have my interview coming up and the thought never struck me that i may need to provide my own financial info (even though it's my fiance and his father that are doing the co-sponsoring for that part).

The beneficiary doesn't need to provide any tax information, just the sponsor and joint sponsor.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

The beneficiary doesn't need to provide any tax information, just the sponsor and joint sponsor.

so i don't have to bring ANY documents about my employment etc, right? i mean it's not on the list. thanks for the response :)

No you're immigrating, they dont care if the beneficiary works etc... lol. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.