batiatus

Applying for a US Citezenship

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Posting for a friend of mine.

Was married in the Philippines with kids. She moved to the US and filed for divorce. She got married in 2009 and petitioned her two children. She now has a greencard. was able to bring her kids in the US. He 5 years is up to apply for US citizenship, but someone told her she cant apply for US citizenship since she was married in the Philippines. Is this true? She can get a greencard but cant apply for US Citizeship?

Doesn't matter where in the world you marry, as long as it's recognised by the US.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Go to http://www.uscis.gov/n-400 and click on the "Document Checklist, Current Fees, Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet" link, then fill out the eligibility worksheet. There are many factors that influence your eligibility to apply for citizenship, but when you're applying based on the 5-year rule, it doesn't matter whether you're married or single, or where in the world you were married. Especially not if you're now divorced.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Should she apply with option 1 living in the US last 5 years or base on marriage?. She got her green card base on marriage and still married to that person. But she is divorce with her first husband. She filed for divorce here in the US and never filed for annulment in philippines

Oh, I misunderstood. That could be a problem if her first marriage is still current. You said she filed for divorce, but she'll be required to provide evidence that the divorce was granted.

Timeline:

Oh, I misunderstood. That could be a problem if her first marriage is still current. You said she filed for divorce, but she'll be required to provide evidence that the divorce was granted.

Yes she filed for divorce here in the US and it was granted. She got married again to a US citizen and was able to a greencard.

Then it sounds to me like there should be no problem for her to apply for citizenship whenever she is eligible. If she's been a green card holder since 2009 due to her marriage to a US citizen, then she should be able to apply under the 3-year rule.

I would like to hear the other person's rationale for saying she cannot apply because she was married in the Philippines (and that's an ambiguous statement -- do they mean she can't apply because she's been married before, or do they mean she can't apply because she got married in the Philippines)...

Timeline:

Then it sounds to me like there should be no problem for her to apply for citizenship whenever she is eligible. If she's been a green card holder since 2009 due to her marriage to a US citizen, then she should be able to apply under the 3-year rule.

I would like to hear the other person's rationale for saying she cannot apply because she was married in the Philippines (and that's an ambiguous statement -- do they mean she can't apply because she's been married before, or do they mean she can't apply because she got married in the Philippines)...

The question comes down to whether she is still married to the first husband and thus the second marriage is not valid. Due to PI law it gets very complicated as to whether a citizen of the PI can be granted a divorce. So the question becomes if a citizen of the PI gets married in the PI, but later files for divorce in the US, is that person still married until they get a divorce in the PI. I know that if they want to get married and have the PI recognize the second marriage then the first marriage must be annulled in the PI. The US considers her divorced, but as a citizen of the PI is it okay for her to get remarried without filing the proper paperwork in the PI? I leave that up to those that are up on PI marriage laws.

OP: wait for the 5 year mark so the marriage has no bearing on your citizenship, plus you are so close it really does not matter and the amount of paperwork required is much less. All you have to do is show that you have been a LPR for the past 5 years which a copy of the GC will do, the number of days outside the US which a copy of your entire PI passport will do, tax transcripts, and residency in the USCIS district.

Good luck,

Dave

The question comes down to whether she is still married to the first husband and thus the second marriage is not valid. Due to PI law it gets very complicated as to whether a citizen of the PI can be granted a divorce. So the question becomes if a citizen of the PI gets married in the PI, but later files for divorce in the US, is that person still married until they get a divorce in the PI. I know that if they want to get married and have the PI recognize the second marriage then the first marriage must be annulled in the PI. The US considers her divorced, but as a citizen of the PI is it okay for her to get remarried without filing the proper paperwork in the PI? I leave that up to those that are up on PI marriage laws.

OP: wait for the 5 year mark so the marriage has no bearing on your citizenship, plus you are so close it really does not matter and the amount of paperwork required is much less. All you have to do is show that you have been a LPR for the past 5 years which a copy of the GC will do, the number of days outside the US which a copy of your entire PI passport will do, tax transcripts, and residency in the USCIS district.

Good luck,

Dave

Thank you . I will relay this to her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.