rhirhi

New Passport Once Married?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

This is a question for those who have moved from the UK, married and begun AOS proceedings.

I intend to renew my passport once I am married, to change my surname on the passport and to get a new photo. My current one is from 8 years ago now and usually gets a few suspicious glances whenever I use it as 16-year-old me looks very...different :P

Is there ANYTHING that I will need my current passport for once I have moved out there? Will I need the K1 visa in it for AOS, AP etc? Or can I go ahead and get a new passport?

I did Google this beforehand but couldn't find anything helpful so thought some first-hand experience would be best :)

You will need your passport for--

Photocopy in AOS packet

Get SSN

ID for biometric appt

AOS interview

Get driver license

Get bank acct

Maybe for any lease you are added to

That's all I can think of now. A new passport means your current one is mailed off.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Great...so aside from the photocopy for the AOS packet, I can use my new passport with my married name in it for the other things as it seems the passport is just a form of ID in the other cases.

I will probably use my existing passport for the SSN as I'll get that done before the wedding...will I need a passport as a form of ID when I go back after the wedding to change my SSN into my married name?

So what are you going to do when you get a biometric appointment 3-4 weeks after applying for AOS, but your required passport is in the UK awaiting processing of a replacement passport? What if you wait until after biometrics to send it to the UK and got an AOS interview? Would you want to delay your interview? The timing of everything is unpredictable and a K1 with without a passport between POE and greencard is kinda tricky so plan carefully.

Don't go change your SSN to your married name until you have an EAD card is a better plan. Yes you will need a passport.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Does not apply to me as a bloke but I would be inclined to keep your current passport until you have your GC then re new it. You will have your marriage cert and still have 2 years validity on your passport so why not use it.

Timeline

That is exactly why I am asking whether I will need my current passport, with the visa in it, or if I could use the new passport without the visa in it. I'm still months away from POE so I haven't thoroughly researched the AOS/SSN/etc processes but I'm trying to get a vague idea of how to progress through this next year of paperwork :P seems like it's a case of doing all these little things in the right order so you don't mess up another application down the line.

For the biometrics appointment if it's just photographic ID they need then I thought the MA state ID would suffice, if I did decide to renew my passport and it isn't back in time.

Timeline

Nobbie, that's the other thought running through my head, the fact that I still have 2 years left on it so it'll be a bit of a waste. I think I'm just a bit of a completionist, having an officially document with my married name on will satisfy that sad little part of me! It's just a case of weighing up how much hassle it will be and whether that hassle will be worth it.

That is exactly why I am asking whether I will need my current passport, with the visa in it, or if I could use the new passport without the visa in it. I'm still months away from POE so I haven't thoroughly researched the AOS/SSN/etc processes but I'm trying to get a vague idea of how to progress through this next year of paperwork :P seems like it's a case of doing all these little things in the right order so you don't mess up another application down the line.

For the biometrics appointment if it's just photographic ID they need then I thought the MA state ID would suffice, if I did decide to renew my passport and it isn't back in time.

It isn't the visa really because it is void once you enter at POE. It is having no passport at all for maybe 6 weeks time when you are in a foreign country doing immigration processes that is a worry to me. That is assuming you don't make any mistakes in the application. You know how dealing with a government agency can be.

I don't think you can likely get a state ID until you have something to show legal presence like an EAD card. If you were able to get one on your I-94, it would expire when the I -94 expires (90 days after POE.) Then you have no proof of legal presence until you get the EAD which shows one year of legal presence. Most don't get a state ID or license until they have an EAD card.

You are better off finishing your first round of immigration...greencard in hand...before you send your passport to the UK. Then you would have a state ID and a greencard and be fine for most everything until they return the old and new passports. It will cost around £148 for the new passport.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

It isn't the visa really because it is void once you enter at POE. It is having no passport at all for maybe 6 weeks time when you are in a foreign country doing immigration processes that is a worry to me. That is assuming you don't make any mistakes in the application. You know how dealing with a government agency can be.

I don't think you can likely get a state ID until you have something to show legal presence like an EAD card. If you were able to get one on your I-94, it would expire when the I -94 expires (90 days after POE.) Then you have no proof of legal presence until you get the EAD which shows one year of legal presence. Most don't get a state ID or license until they have an EAD card.

You are better off finishing your first round of immigration...greencard in hand...before you send your passport to the UK. Then you would have a state ID and a greencard and be fine for most everything until they return the old and new passports. It will cost around £148 for the new passport.

Aaah, that does make a lot of sense. I guess I was just thinking of the visa as proof of...I don't know, being allowed to be there I suppose! Silly when I think about it now.

I thought that too but my fiancé brought up the issue the other day as in MA they have two options- the state ID or a liquor ID. I looked into it to see which one I should get and ended up looking at the application process. It looks like to prove residency they'll accept marriage certificate, signed lease etc. They DO ask for a passport and an I-94 but they don't make it clear whether you get the ID based on your proof of residency or on the I-94. Have emailed them for clarification and will post back for anyone curious/in the same situation in the future. Likely you're correct but I remember when my fiancé moved to MA he had to get a state ID ASAP as apparently they're funny about that in MA.

From yours and Nobbie's comments it does seem to make the most sense to wait until the whole process is over to renew it. Might have to put up with the terrible photo for a few years more then! :P

Timeline

For future reference, this was my very blunt reply:

"If you are not a US Citizen you must present a valid and current passport and any supporting documents, such as I-94."

"Many thanks for your reply. I understand that I will need to present my I-94, however could you please tell me whether my MA ID would expire when my I-94 expires?"

"No"

I'm hoping that's a no for the expiration of the ID as opposed to a no in reply to the "could you please tell me..." bit :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.