JillWill

Medical Records Necessary for Medical Appointment?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all. My fiance will have his medical appointment in a couple weeks and he thought he needed to gather all his medical records from his previous GPs to take with him to the medical, but I can't remember reading that anywhere. I know that vaccination records are required, but I haven't seen anything about full medical records. Are they necessary? Also, is there a quick answer about how to obtain one's vaccination record? Thanks!

October 22, 2013: Mailed I-129F Packet

November 1, 2013: NOA1 email and text

November 4, 2013: Alien registration number changed

November 20, 2013: NOA2

December 19, 2013: Case forwarded to London Embassy

January 2, 2014: Packet 3 Received

February 7, 2014: Medical

March 13, 2014: Interview

Records aren't required, they just make things easier. Do get a copy of those, and if he's missing anything, it's very worthwhile to get them done at his GP before the medical.

If he don't have any vaccine records, they're probably going to suggest he get all the required vaccines again (even if he's had them). K1s don't have to have any vaccines at all to get the visa, but he'll have to be vaccine complete to adjust his status after you marry.

It's *very* encouraged that he get all your vaccines up to date for the K1 (since you can usually get them done in advance of the medical for free via your GP), though, otherwise he'll have to find a civil surgeon in the US to do them for him and they may insist on another full medical ($$$).

He doesn't need any other records unless he's had TB or he's had/has something significant like depression, high blood pressure, that sort of thing. In those cases, a letter from his doctor detailing what ails him, his treatment and prognosis should be sufficient.

Oh, and quick answer for how to get vaccine records: Drop into the GP office and ask them to print a copy.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Great, thanks! That makes it easier.

Timeline

We're also finding it a bit hard to track down all his vaccination records since he's moved a lot within the UK and has been to several different GPs. Apparently it could take several weeks for a comprehensive vaccination record to be returned to him. Would it be easier to just go to the medical without the vaccination record, explain the situation, and just get all the required vaccines? From what I can tell for someone in their midtwenties there are only three required, so that wouldn't be too difficult.

Get them at your GP probably for free and take proof to medical.

MMR

Tdap (tetanus, Diptheria, pertussis) not polio

Influenza

Varicella--say you had chickenpox to get shot waived. they mark the sheet VH

If GP won't give a flu jab to a young person, go to Boots, Tesco, or a place like that with a clinic. Take that proof too.

When he goes to the medical, if four weeks has not passed since his MMR, he will get a waiver marked "insufficient time interval" for the 2nd MMR. The nurse will say he needs another and tell him to get it at his GP when 4 weeks have passed and send that with AOS. She's wrong. USCIS will not accept anything from his GP. But USCIS will accept that he got a waiver for the second shot if it is ticked on his DS-3025 immunization sheet they fill out. If his sheet is as complete as medically appropriate on the date it is signed, it works for AOS. It would be inappropriate to have dose 2 of MMR if 4 weeks hasn't passed. He never has to get dose 2 for immigration purposes of he has the "insufficient time interval" marked.

The trick to this is get everything done (or waived) by the time the Knightsbridge form is signed. If for example, you totally skipped Tdap, then that sheet is incomplete and you will pay a civil surgeon in the US to do another form for AOS.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Ok, great. That all makes sense. One thing I was wondering about though is whether the influenza vaccine is really required? I got the impression from the list of required ones on the medical info sheet that the influenza one is only required if you're over 50 or if you're a young child. Is that incorrect? Thanks very much for your help!

I think you need the flu jab if it's the flu season, which it is now. It's nuts really, i have never has either the flu or a flu jab. Luckily for me my medical was in Aug so did not need it. I believe the rule is you are supposed to have whatever jabs are needed at the time of your medical. Thing is by the time your fiance gets to the US and files for AoS it most likely wont be the flu season so I am not sure where you stand there if he did not have it in the UK. As a K1 you do not need to have all the jabs before arrival but you will need them for AoS. Maybe Nich Nick will know.

Ok, great. That all makes sense. One thing I was wondering about though is whether the influenza vaccine is really required? I got the impression from the list of required ones on the medical info sheet that the influenza one is only required if you're over 50 or if you're a young child. Is that incorrect? Thanks very much for your help!

The London website failed to update their immunization schedule since changes in 2009. More changes in November 2010 added flu shot for anybody over 6 months of age, not just over 50.

Wheatley and I have posted the K1 London guide we have been working on. Shots are in post 1. More on the medical in post 3. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.