114 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The main issue is people forgetting to go home and working.

There are about 6 million of the former and I have come across plenty of the latter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Bull. I've been married for 8 years, and spent that time (up until this past year) with him in his country. So I went through the immigration system in his country as well. And waited 2+ years for a residency permit that was supposed to take 6 months, but at least I was allowed to stay with him during the time it took to process my case.

The relationship issues you're describing are your own, and not everyone's experience with marrying someone from another country/culture. My husband doesn't annoy me, nor I him. We dealt with infertility, the deaths of several of my close family members, money issues, systemic racism and sexism in his portion of the country, and a litany of other #######, because that's life. Our relationship is a source of great joy and happiness. Our being from different cultures keeps things interesting. But people have been telling us that we were going to grow out of our honeymoon phase for the better part of a decade. Obviously, we're just delusional.

To call this separation "little" is dismissive and flippant. It's not little to us, nor to our children. This is the longest that we've ever been apart in the 10 years total that we've been together. We like what little skype time we get because mostly we talk on the phone. Because when our children see his face and talk to him on the computer, they spend the next several days moping around and crying hysterically. During this time apart, I've also had to put away most of my pictures of him, because the little one carries them around the house talking to them, kissing them, and playing with them, and the big one sees them and cries. So you go ahead and be flippant because your wait is a blip in your rear-view mirror already. I personally don't forget how much it sucked not being able to work or do anything for 2+ years while we waited for my Verblijfsvergunning over there. Just because you have come to this conclusion and have had this reaction does not mean everyone will or should have the same one.

I don't think missing out on a year (or more) of our lives together is a blip. A year, right now, is half of our youngest daughter's entire life. Just because my family isn't dying of famine, or being ravished by war, it doesn't mean that it's not suffering. Just because there are worse things in this world, it doesn't mean that this is fine and normal. One bad thing doesn't cancel out or negate another.

This entire situation sucks, and if there's something I can work towards to try to improve the system so that people in the future don't have to deal with this kind of anguish, I'm going to do it. The fact that people are stuck in limbo for years with no answers is entirely unacceptable. Positive thinking and just keeping going are great coping mechanisms. But real change is not brought about by positive thinking alone. It requires real world action.

OP, I'm so sorry that you're separated from those that you love. I hope that your process will be over quickly. *hugs*

Kaylara you just rock ! You are one of the few people making it worth going on VJ,Smart helpful and KIND !

People don`t seem to get that systems can changed if people would work together ...I see people posting mean hateful comments and they waited less then 7 month for the entire thing,and i`m sure they do not have kids yet they have huge big mean mouths ...

Thank you.

Izzy

event.png

event.png

event.png

event.png

09/08/2013 - I-130 Priority Date
02/26/2014 - RFE
03/10/2014 - RFE sent
03/26/2014 - NOA2 date

04/08/2014 - NVC received
05/08/2014 - Case number assigned
05/12/2014 - DS-261 Completed
05/13/2014 - AOS paid
05/22/2014 - AOS pack sent
06/13/2014 - IV Paid,Finally!
06/14/2014 - IV pack sent
06/17/2014 - DS-260 completed
06/22/2014 - IV pack scan date
07/01/2014 - AOS checklist
07/02/2014 - Checklist Reply sent
07/09/2014 - Checklist scan date
08/22/2014 - Case Completed!

09/08/2014 - Case left the NVC
09/10/2014 - Case is ready
09/10/2014 - Interview letter received
10/20/2014 - Medical Appointment
10/29/2014 - Interview day ...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would love for you to show me one couple our government denied a marriage to because one of the spouses is foreign. Did you even think about this statement before you made it? Seriously after 9/11 things have changed. Background checks need to be done, it's national security. Would you rather have the government let everyone in and not do background checks so,your case can be adjudicated overnight?

Carolynhotstuff's husband over in Pakistan has, after going through a more than 1 year-long visa process, been put into and held in AP for more than 4 YEARS. That's functionally telling someone that they can't be together. No amount of name checks takes of four years. If you're taking that long to finish such a project, that means that it must be changing hands, which in facts increases the chances of letting a dangerous person in. The only concievable reason for a wait that long is that the government does not want citizens of that country coming to the US. It's a disgrace and a crime against humanity to do that to two people who love each other. It's totally inexcusable.

I-130 Sent: 11 November 2013

I-130 1st i-797(NOA-1): 12 November 2013, Vermont (Dis-)Service Center (1 day in transit)

I-130 2nd i-797(NOA-2): 30 May 2014, Vermont (Total Dis-)Service Center (199 days in USCIS hell)

I-30 Received at NVC: 11 June 2014 (11 days in transit)

NVC Case # Assigned: 27 June 2014 (15 days to case number assigned)

DS-261 Completed: 15 July 2014 (18 days to DS-261 available)

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 17 July 2014

AOS Fee Bill Shows "Paid": 22 July 2014

AOS Package Sent Out:23 July 2014

AOS Package Recieved: 28 July 2014

DS-260 Completed: ?

IV Fee Bill Paid: ?

November 2014 USCIS Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgp_fafY_R6dFI3cDREc2tNWV9qV09mMzN3WXR2dEE&usp=sharing#gid=3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Carolynhotstuff's husband over in Pakistan has, after going through a more than 1 year-long visa process, been put into and held in AP for more than 4 YEARS. That's functionally telling someone that they can't be together. No amount of name checks takes of four years. If you're taking that long to finish such a project, that means that it must be changing hands, which in facts increases the chances of letting a dangerous person in. The only concievable reason for a wait that long is that the government does not want citizens of that country coming to the US. It's a disgrace and a crime against humanity to do that to two people who love each other. It's totally inexcusable.

She could always move there.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

She could always move there.

People who think like this should be kicked out of the country and then told that they can always make a life somewhere else.

I-130 Sent: 11 November 2013

I-130 1st i-797(NOA-1): 12 November 2013, Vermont (Dis-)Service Center (1 day in transit)

I-130 2nd i-797(NOA-2): 30 May 2014, Vermont (Total Dis-)Service Center (199 days in USCIS hell)

I-30 Received at NVC: 11 June 2014 (11 days in transit)

NVC Case # Assigned: 27 June 2014 (15 days to case number assigned)

DS-261 Completed: 15 July 2014 (18 days to DS-261 available)

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 17 July 2014

AOS Fee Bill Shows "Paid": 22 July 2014

AOS Package Sent Out:23 July 2014

AOS Package Recieved: 28 July 2014

DS-260 Completed: ?

IV Fee Bill Paid: ?

November 2014 USCIS Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgp_fafY_R6dFI3cDREc2tNWV9qV09mMzN3WXR2dEE&usp=sharing#gid=3

Timeline

People who think like this should be kicked out of the country and then told that they can always make a life somewhere else.

Now you're just being absurd.

However, after 5 years, I'd start seriously considering other options.

6gai.jpg

It's totally inhumane. I remember my major mental breakdown I had around the 7 month mark. It involved a lot of wine, crying and screaming, throwing phones, and more wine.

Do you have anyone you can talk to that you trust? A therapist? It's really helpful to get all your feelings on the table to an unbiased party. And it will end! Don't worry. Hugs.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Timeline

It's totally inhumane.

People keep using that word, but I don't think they know what it means.

6gai.jpg

People keep using that word, but I don't think they know what it means.

Shall I define it for you?

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Posts that do nothing more than to stir up drama end here. Either address the OP or do not post, thread bans will come if this warning is ignored.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Now you're just being absurd.

However, after 5 years, I'd start seriously considering other options.

I would tend to agree that it might be time for Plan B.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Often there are no alternatives or options to move to the beneficiary's country.
If someone has children and their father will not agree to let them move then there is nothing you can do.
If a child is chronically ill and needs good medical care then you don't want to take it out of the country !
Having spend a financial mountain of dollar bills already on the process and running out of resources while one or the other loses their job
makes moving and starting over in another country just as hard. Debt incurred here does not pay itself when leaving the US.
If ill parents are dependent on your care you can't leave. There can be multiple reasons and just because you can does not mean everyone
else can up and move because our immigration system is broken. The focus needs to be on fixing the system not how to by pass it by moving.
It is just silly to say move to his country.
It is absolutely ridiculous to have people waiting for unreasonably long times, especially the way it is done, a non transparent

process shrouded in mystery, teased with multiple requests to re submit fresh medicals and forms, losing documents, not responding

to the petitioner and informing them of what the heck is going on....there is no excuse for that.
This process needs improvement and more transparency and less power trips by agencies and individual CO's.
There need to be clear limits to how long this can be dragging on and on. I am all for security but not at the expense of waiting years and years

for no apparent reason.
People like Carolynhotstuff and many others need to either be approved or told why they aren't approved. Period.
Floating in the unknown like many of us have been, causes anxiety and stress and is just not an exemplary process that is
befitting a world leader like the USA. It is a remnant of something resembling the 1800. Only then immigration was easier.
A year waiting ...fine, I have no problem with that. Two to three years ? Hell no. That is NOT ok.

If they can't figure out if security is an issue with someone after a year then something is very wrong with the entities/agencies/individuals that handle the cases. That needs to be addressed through congress.

Congress will not move unless complaints are voiced continuously by everyone affected.

Edited by Ebunoluwa
Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thousands of families are separated every day Most deployed service members are separated from their family and many in high risk situations. You are lucky to be able to visit almost at will. Probably half the VJ couples are not from VWP countries and even when they are it is sometimes a full day of expensive flight time to spend time together. No the process isn't perfect but you just need to suck it up because it is only temporary.

Suck it up??? Are you serious? That's such a cruel and heartless thing to say. Are you one of those people who adjusted status so you're incapable of understanding?

Being deployed is by choice.... one doesn't have to be in the military.

Wow... suck it up.... SMH If it weren't for the fact that moderators are here, I'd have some pretty colorful things to say to you, witch

Shame on all of the people who "upped" that comment, too... you have no clue whatsoever.

Edited by skysofialila

NOA1 received: July 30, 2013

Transferred: Jan 22, 2014 (time from NOA1 to Transfer: 5 months 3 weeks 2 days)

Touched: Jan 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Alien reg. # changed: Jan 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Filed for expedite: Feb 5, 2014

s-event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Being a member of this website has offered me great support and knowledge while going through this process. I have recently returned from visiting my husband and step children over the holidays. I helped my husband through a hospital procedure, celebrated his birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. I made new curtains for our apartment that we secured during my last visit, drove the kids to school, made lunches and was able to be a wife and step mother. I have now returned to my apartment in Canada, returned to my job and feeling complete emptiness and heartbreak. My mental health is being greatly challenged and at times I am feeling so depressed that I wonder how much longer I can endure the wait. The process is inhumane. I would love to ask any of those in power over our cases to be separated from their children, husbands for over a year and hear how they react and see how many of them end up physically and mentally ill from the stress.

Stress is the number one cause of life threatening disease! Cancers, heart problems, raised cholesterol, suicide are all affected or caused by severe stress!

This treatment is inhumane. We are being tortured.

I do try and think of the positive...that everyday is one day closer....that I am happy to have spent some time together....to continue to do the things I have enjoyed in the past to protect myself. I work in the field of health!

So....thank you for letting me vent! Thank you for being strong and being there for me and others. Only those of us going through this can understand the pain and torment.

Wishing that we stay strong together and that our strength and love will make this world a better place one day!

Dear snowflakepr,

I am sorry about the pain you're going through and for many of the cruel, heartless, and ignorant comments made by people who have no idea what you're going through. I don't know anyone in real life (outside of visa journey) who is going through this journey because everyone else I know has adjusted their status.

I suffer from depression and anxiety, too. I have been apart from my husband for 2 1/2 years. If more people knew what we were going through, laws would be changed quickly.

I try to stay positive but it is very, very difficult. No one understands my pain except for my visa journey family... and by that I mean people who've had to endure staying away.. not AOSers. The stress and pain is very difficult.

I do tend to take my aggression out here on some members who post asinine comments. One day I will be banned from these forums because I will say the wrong thing to the trolls and insensitive people, I know. But for now, at least I get virtually meet a great group of people who have been my only source of support.

Vent away, my friend! This will not be over soon nor will it be easy.

NOA1 received: July 30, 2013

Transferred: Jan 22, 2014 (time from NOA1 to Transfer: 5 months 3 weeks 2 days)

Touched: Jan 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Alien reg. # changed: Jan 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Filed for expedite: Feb 5, 2014

s-event.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Suck it up??? Are you serious? That's such a cruel and heartless thing to say. Are you one of those people who adjusted status so you're incapable of understanding?

Being deployed is by choice.... one doesn't have to be in the military.

Wow... suck it up.... SMH If it weren't for the fact that moderators are here, I'd have some pretty colorful things to say to you, witch

Shame on all of the people who "upped" that comment, too... you have no clue whatsoever.

Shame on you.

What is the alternative to dealing with the immigration system?

and moan and create stress?

It's not about being heartless. It's about how to deal with the separation.

Isn't it better to be prepared for and accept the separation than to and moan about it when the OP can not do anything to change it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.