jessicatran05

passport renewal

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiancee went back to her village to get her passport renewal for fiancee visa process. However, they told her they only issue that for marriage or buying home. We are going for fiancee visa. Anyone experienced this in Vietnam? If so how do you resolve this?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Vietnam Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My fiancee went back to her village to get her passport renewal for fiancee visa process. However, they told her they only issue that for marriage or buying home. We are going for fiancee visa. Anyone experienced this in Vietnam? If so how do you resolve this?

Oh Vietnam.

Why would anyone need a passport to get marry or buy a home?

Passports are for traveling abroad and using a passport to get a visa is probably the primary reason to get a passport.

Time to cough up some coffee money to grease the wheels.

My fiancee lost her passport during the K1 process. She made the new passport with different number and you just need to give them money to do it. There is no such thing that requires marriage or buying the home to make passport. They just make it difficult so that they can ask " coffee money ".

New Journey AOS:

My fiancee came to US on the 8th of March, 2014 under K-1 visa at Newark, NJ Airport for POE.

Applied Social Security Number on the 10 of March, 2014.

Married on the 13th of March, 2014.

Sent I-485, I-765, and I-131 on the 15th of March, 2014.

Received EAD on June 7, 2014.

Received Notice of Potential Interview Waiver on July 1, 2014 date 6/27

Contacted Ombudsman on 01/12/2015.

Ombudsman contacted USCIS on 02/20/2015.

Ombudsman sent a follow up to USCIS on 03/18/2015.

I-485 approved on 03/31/2015 ( we ordered your card).

Welcome notice was mailed on 04/01/2015.

Received Welcome Notice on 04/08/2015.

Card was mailed to me/picked up by USPS on 04/08/2015.

Received GC on 4/10/2015.

Prediction 04/08/2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

they try to twist and turn you,,,, which mean they want to some coffee money envelope GL

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

Filed: Timeline

How well do you know Vietnam customs? Coffee money is almost always expected to get any government service done. You can do it without it but it will take 10 visits, a lot of false starts and 3 months to complete something that should take one day. In HCMC I've never had to do this but in wife's village it's just the way things get done.

Did she tell them that she wanted to renew her passport to be with her US fiancee? If so they just stalled the process to get coffee money. Don't supply too much information to the local authority. Never give coffee money yourself; always let your fiancee handle that. She should know how it works.

Timeline

How well do you know Vietnam customs? Coffee money is almost always expected to get any government service done. You can do it without it but it will take 10 visits, a lot of false starts and 3 months to complete something that should take one day. In HCMC I've never had to do this but in wife's village it's just the way things get done.

Did she tell them that she wanted to renew her passport to be with her US fiancee? If so they just stalled the process to get coffee money. Don't supply too much information to the local authority. Never give coffee money yourself; always let your fiancee handle that. She should know how it works.

The price of the passport goes up when there's a US fiancé.

Sad but a true fact about Vietnam.

The rich American always has a bottomless pocket of cash.

Edited by aaron2020

Ask your loved VNese one to report these kinda "extortion" activities to the appropriate authority!

You need to stop the "common" thinking (that everyone has become used to it) that unless coffee money is offered, things won't go the normal way it's supposed to be.

Vietnam has to change and it starts with its own people!

The moment you or your loved one offers bribe (coffe) money, you've encouraged the system to remain its status quo! Be proud to be a Vietnamese and don't let the world laugh at your country and its system.

Timeline

Ask your loved VNese one to report these kinda "extortion" activities to the appropriate authority!

You need to stop the "common" thinking (that everyone has become used to it) that unless coffee money is offered, things won't go the normal way it's supposed to be.

Vietnam has to change and it starts with its own people!

The moment you or your loved one offers bribe (coffe) money, you've encouraged the system to remain its status quo! Be proud to be a Vietnamese and don't let the world laugh at your country and its system.

Report then to the proper authority that's equally corrupt?

Standing up against corruption has a cost. If they are willing to forgo the passport or wait for unending months with countless trips back and forth to te passport office and endure putting the immigration case at risk for lack of a passport, then by all means don't pay the coffee money and report the office to the proper authority.

You can't use US logic in Vietnam. It doesn't work that way there.

Report then to the proper authority that's equally corrupt?

Standing up against corruption has a cost. If they are willing to forgo the passport or wait for unending months with countless trips back and forth to te passport office and endure putting the immigration case at risk for lack of a passport, then by all means don't pay the coffee money and report the office to the proper authority.

You can't use US logic in Vietnam. It doesn't work that way there.

I didn't ask the OP nor her relative in VN to go protest on the streets or blogging in the web and might be thrown in jail as result. I asked her to help to put an end to a bad rep about Vietnam. That is "No bribe money, nothing will be achieved."

People with thinking like you is THE REASON why corruption and bribe money is prevalent in VN.

Where there's smoke, there should be fire. I'ts understandable to have some people just to ignore whenever there's fire. They would act like nothing is happenning. But please, don't provide ammunition to start a fire.

If everyone thinks like you, no society would ever head into the better direction.

By the way, I just said the above comment because it is the internet. I just wanna feel good. In reality, I'm not childish and not knowing that would NEVER be the case. If the Vietnamese do what's morally right, that country would be in a MUCH better shape in what it is right now.

I didn't ask the OP nor her relative in VN to go protest on the streets or blogging in the web and might be thrown in jail as result. I asked her to help to put an end to a bad rep about Vietnam. That is "No bribe money, nothing will be achieved."

People with thinking like you is THE REASON why corruption and bribe money is prevalent in VN.

Where there's smoke, there should be fire. I'ts understandable to have some people just to ignore whenever there's fire. They would act like nothing is happenning. But please, don't provide ammunition to start a fire.

If everyone thinks like you, no society would ever head into the better direction.

By the way, I just said the above comment because it is the internet. I just wanna feel good. In reality, I'm not childish and not knowing that would NEVER be the case. If the Vietnamese do what's morally right, that country would be in a MUCH better shape in what it is right now.

Boy, you have gotten alot to learn about how the communists run the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, you have gotten alot to learn about how the communists run the country.

Not much really. Everything about Vietnam can be narrowed down to one point:

"Don't get involved with it if you're smart."

Now for those who choose to ignore that advice, ENJOY all the fun the communist gonna shove down your throat.

Life is all about making choices, some are smart, some are the exact opposite. Noone forces you have to find your love in that region of the world. Most people already KNEW exactly what they were getting into at the start of the game.

Edited by DreamNHope

Not much really. Everything about Vietnam can be narrowed down to one point:

"Don't get involved with it if you're smart."

Now for those who choose to ignore that advice, ENJOY all the fun the communist gonna shove down your throat.

Life is all about making choices, some are smart, some are the exact opposite. Noone forces you have to find your love in that region of the world. Most people already KNEW exactly what they were getting into at the start of the game.

Whoa, whoa, are you butt hurt or something? Did you forget to take your meds last night? Who are you to tell us what we should and should not do? I betcha you have nothing else better to do than coming here and giving us advice, which we never asked for in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

dont marry Vietnamese chick which is fix the problem......just kidding, if you want anything done right and one trip visit then you have the envelope otherwise they will make come back and forth until you get it, if you have alot of times waiting then it doesnt matter much, but for those doesnt have times time wait, sometimes you travel from US to VN time is short and beside if you go too long your job at risk.

Marriage : 07/22/2012

USCIS Process

09/16/2012: I-130 Sent

09/20/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Receipt txt)

09/24/2012: I-130 NOA1 (Hard copy)

09/25/2012: I-130 Case Transfer to (MSC)

11/08/2012: I-130 NOA2 in 44 days after NOA1

NVC:11/19/2012: I-130 @ NVC

12/05/2012: Case & IID asign

12/19/2012: AoS paid n send

12/20/2012: AoS received

02/18/2012: IV Paid

04/15/2013: IV send

04/16/2013: IV received

04/25/2013: NVC case complete

06/26/2013: NVC send email notification for interview

07/11/2013: Interview approved

09/06/2013: POE @ JFK

CRBA: 05/20/2013: Approved

6/8/2015 - Removal of conditions - sent off packet to VSC
6/9/20015 - I-751 received in VSC

6/12/2015 - NOA1

pe80i6s.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.