sarah86

QUESTIONS ABOUT RELIGIOUS (ISLAMIC) AND CIVIL MARRIAGE AT ONCE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Heyooo smile.png)

Umm so I have a question. We are both muslim, and will need to have both civil and religious marriage done. I want the Imam to do it. We want to get the ceremony done within the next two weeks. So what do I need. We are in NJ by the way. I think the same laws apply to all counties so Im not specifying the county.

From my research, we need a marriage license and I read we both have to go together to apply for this. Can I go myself with his info, passport copy and stuff and get the license? i want to surprise him with it. THE IMAM CANT GET US MARRIED WITHOUT THIS LICENSE, RIGHT?

second, after getting the license, do we need to do any medical stuff? In my country you do, thats why im asking, although I didnt read anything as such in my research, so I assume no, but wanted to double check.

What else (paperwork wise) do we need to bring to the mosque with us other than the license?

third, for those who were married by the imam, did you guys have to make an appointment, or did you just walk in whenever you were ready with witnesses, and he did it right away. Also, how long does the whole thing take, both legal and religious?

fourth, I read that if the Imam files the paperwork for us it takes longer for it to process and that we should take the signed stuff to where ever it needs to go to at least eliminate the time loss in the mail. Is that posssible that we can take it our selves? and if so, where do we take it?

fifth, I want to get a confidential certificate as I don't want neither of our infos to be reachable/searchable by all and especially by certain people that have been a pain in my life for the last several years. anyway, will that adversely affect our AOS process? and during when do I ask for this, when we apply for the license, or when we sign the certificate?

lastly, how soon after can we go get the certs?

too many questions, i know, but i searched the site for answers as well with no luck and I need answers. Thank you all in advance.

I posted in the wrong area, only realized after posting, and there is no delete :( sorry admins :(

Edited by sarah86

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to Middle East/North Africa regional subforum for highest concentration of potential advice regarding Muslim marriage in the U.S.; OP is past the K-1 stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I can only say that to get marriage licence in NY state you both need to appear at the clerks office together, in person, at the same time. Licence costs $35 and is valid for 60 days. You must then wait 24hrs before ceremony can happen unless you obtain judicial waiver.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml

http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/reg-d30.doc

Religiously--do you attend a masjid in your area? Often, no, you can't just walk into a masjid and say "hi, marry us today, please".

Either of you will need to contact an imam and make arrangements with him. Those arrangements will vary, per the imam. You will need to find out if in NJ the imam needs to be certified to perform legal weddings there. If so, then you'll need to get married by an imam who is certified to do that. It sounds like a call to your local registrar would be helpful, for some of the specifics.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This was my instructions-- I called the Mufti of the largest Islamic center in our area. He said he needs an official license before he marries us, He said just give him a call and we can set a time to do the nikah. We had to appear together to get our license, which we did the day before we got married. We set up the day for the nikah with the imam about a week before. It took all of 15 minutes to do the nikah and have the imam sign the legal documents and the Islamic legal document. There were no blood tests required or any other medical requirements.

As Sandi said, not all imams can do perform legal US marriages. our marriage certificate from the US was satisfactory to personnel in Egypt to verify we are married-- actually think we used the Nikah certificate when we registered at the hotel in Egypt.

Edited by RFQ

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some Imams can officiate for both legal and civil ceremonies. You'll want to call around I guess. The imam who married my ex husband and I could do both. I believe we had to make an appointment. My ex took care of the arrangements so not sure of those details. No medical stuff needed. This was in MI.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Heyooo smile.png)

Umm so I have a question. We are both muslim, and will need to have both civil and religious marriage done. I want the Imam to do it. We want to get the ceremony done within the next two weeks. So what do I need. We are in NJ by the way. I think the same laws apply to all counties so Im not specifying the county.

From my research, we need a marriage license and I read we both have to go together to apply for this. Can I go myself with his info, passport copy and stuff and get the license? i want to surprise him with it. THE IMAM CANT GET US MARRIED WITHOUT THIS LICENSE, RIGHT?

second, after getting the license, do we need to do any medical stuff? In my country you do, thats why im asking, although I didnt read anything as such in my research, so I assume no, but wanted to double check.

What else (paperwork wise) do we need to bring to the mosque with us other than the license?

third, for those who were married by the imam, did you guys have to make an appointment, or did you just walk in whenever you were ready with witnesses, and he did it right away. Also, how long does the whole thing take, both legal and religious?

fourth, I read that if the Imam files the paperwork for us it takes longer for it to process and that we should take the signed stuff to where ever it needs to go to at least eliminate the time loss in the mail. Is that posssible that we can take it our selves? and if so, where do we take it?

fifth, I want to get a confidential certificate as I don't want neither of our infos to be reachable/searchable by all and especially by certain people that have been a pain in my life for the last several years. anyway, will that adversely affect our AOS process? and during when do I ask for this, when we apply for the license, or when we sign the certificate?

lastly, how soon after can we go get the certs?

too many questions, i know, but i searched the site for answers as well with no luck and I need answers. Thank you all in advance.

I posted in the wrong area, only realized after posting, and there is no delete sad.png sorry admins sad.png

There may be some way to petition the court for privacy, but you'd have to have a compelling reason to have the marriage unpublished and sealed.

Marriages, like divorces, etc., are public records.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.