PalmTrees

Fainting During Medical

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello.

This may sound strange but hopefully someone here can help me with my query. My fiance suggested asking here as we are not sure about it...

So. Every time I go to the doctors I faint. It all started back in 2005 and I fainted in the waiting room after having a top-up jab for Hepatitis after going to Africa. I remember feeling very hot reading a magazine, and apparently I stood up and fell down but I don't remember. I came to on the floor very confused, had some oxygen and then went home. At the time we thought it was a reaction to the injection.

The only time I visit the doctors between then and now is for repeat prescriptions of the pill and once because I had a problem with my ear. Except for a couple of occasions, every visit has resulted in me fainting. I start to feel hot and then I'm on the floor with a doctor leaning over me. Sometimes I try to stand up (maybe to go get some air) and I immediately go down.

I think it happens most often when they take my blood pressure. I hate the cuff and it probably gets me more worked up than I should be. I'm going to practice lots with my Dad's one at home before my medical. I also feel weird when they talk about side effects etc. The last time I went, the doctor said it was nothing to worry about as some people are just prone to fainting fits (like Victorian ladies used to be), and that my blood pressure drops but then picks right back up again. I also think that psychologically I program myself to believe I'm going to faint as it happens every time, and then I do so. I spend some time on my back afterwards with my legs raised, and then I'm fine to go home. Last time I drove home 15 mins later (after wolfing down 2 chocolate bars for some sugar) so it really doesn't affect me too much.

I'm so so so worried about fainting during my medical in Knightsbridge. We were wondering this:

1) Should I explain to the doctor beforehand that I regularly faint at the doctors because I don't like going but is the only time in life I faint?

2) Or should I bring a letter from my doctor explaining I faint but its nothing to worry about?

3) Or should I not mention anything, hope I don't faint and if I do either shrug it off as a one time thing or explain I have this habit of fainting at the doctors?

Would revealing I faint every time be grounds to fail the medical? I am really worried over this. Sorry for the long post and if you've made it this far thanks for reading! Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance!

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

02/25/14 - Visa Interview - Approved!

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

07/02/14 - NOA1s received for I-485, I-765 and I-131

07/23/14 - Early walk-in for Biometrics

09/04/14 - EAD Card Approved!

09/11/14 - EAD Card Received

02/27/15 - Greencard Approved!
03/12/15 - Greencard Received!
ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
02/15/2018 - Extension Stamp in Passport at Local Office
...currently waiting...

I can't really answer these questions, but I'd vote for option #3 along with #2. Better to be prepared than not. If possible, I'd also bring someone with you to the medical. Someone to help calm you down and be there in case you do faint.

I'm definitely no expert, but I wouldn't think that fainting would result in a visa denial. Fainting isn't all that rare, and if your doctor has had you checked and concluded that all is well, I would think Knightsbridge would agree.

As a person who has a bit of a history of fainting, here are my tips:

- bring another person with you to help calm your nerves.

- focus on breathing deeply throughout the appointment.

- Bring an ice cold water bottle with you - this will help for drinking/hydration/cooling you off internally and externally

- Dress in layers, and don't worry about looking unseasonably dressed - better to be in short sleeves and ballet flats and not pass out than to be in a sweater and warm socks and end up on the floor!

I am the USC, so I can't really speak to fainting history and doing the Knightsbridge medical, but I know my doctors here don't think it's a problem. I have low blood pressure, I'm tall, and I overheat somewhat easily. I've passed out on and off for the last 10 years or so.

I think Knightsbridge is looking for diseases that would cause a potential burden on the US healthcare system. If you've never required medical attention and have been checked out for any more serious issues regarding the fainting (which sounds like its a very isolated event), I can't imagine on what grounds they could deny you.

Best of luck!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have fainted in a Hospital, and needles make me queasy.

Do not like Dentists either.

I see no harm in mentioning beforehand that this makes you queasy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'd go with mentioning it up front. They see dozens of people every day, many of which will be very nervous (and many I'm sure faint at the blood draw - it's not uncommon). They won't be surprised.

Take a note with you from the GP for peace of mind - it might even make you feel so much better that you don't faint! :)

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

I'd sort of say honesty is the best policy throughout the whole process! However, with this , if you tell them then they might want to do further tests. If you faint while you are there, they might want to do further tests anyway. So really there is no right or wrong answer.

I did my medical about two weeks ago there and it was such a pleasant and quick experience. They were all really nice, the waiting room and building is really quite fancy and welcoming. There aren't like people sitting there looking like they are going to die. (I think everyone who was there with me were all for visa medicals!)

Make a day of it and get there in plenty of time. I'd walk versus getting the tube and stuff, just plan your route and take your time. I say walk so you aren't stressing out about which tube line to get etc. and you can get some fresh air. Don't be nervous! Easier said than done if you get nervous often but trust me, it's really quite fun and exciting in a strange way. They all chat to you about general stuff and visa things, and life stuff haha.

IF you faint, they will maybe/probably want to run extra tests. However, by NOT telling them, you can just blow it off and say you just felt really warm and haven't had much to drink today and had to rush over here on an empty stomach. So yeah pretty much the opposite to what I said you should do above. By doing the above though, you should relax yourself and minimise the chance of fainting. If you do though you can say all that and then they will most likely buy it! Because they take some little blood tests and stuff anyway so anything sinister would show up on that.

So it's really up to you. Everything else, full honesty. With that though I would consider doing what I've just said but ONLY if you KNOW that it is just a doctor thing. People who actually go as far as to fainting in situations usually do have something that is triggering this. So I would go and see you OWN doctor first and see what they say. You might have something really minor that is triggering them. Low blood sugar, iron, you name it! It's best to find out what though.

If you KNOW there is t anything, then I would keep shhtum and just go for it, enjoy the experience and you might just surprise yourself once you are there at how relaxed you are.

By the way! I'm not just saying this, but the blood pressure cuff felt nowhere near as tight as they do at other places. So it's quite funny that you mention that because it's something I though when they did it. Just felt like a tight t-shirt :/ but she said I had good BP so winner!

Hope that helps! It really will be ok though :)

Timeline

I can't really answer these questions, but I'd vote for option #3 along with #2. Better to be prepared than not. If possible, I'd also bring someone with you to the medical. Someone to help calm you down and be there in case you do faint.

I'm definitely no expert, but I wouldn't think that fainting would result in a visa denial. Fainting isn't all that rare, and if your doctor has had you checked and concluded that all is well, I would think Knightsbridge would agree.

As a person who has a bit of a history of fainting, here are my tips:

- bring another person with you to help calm your nerves.

- focus on breathing deeply throughout the appointment.

- Bring an ice cold water bottle with you - this will help for drinking/hydration/cooling you off internally and externally

- Dress in layers, and don't worry about looking unseasonably dressed - better to be in short sleeves and ballet flats and not pass out than to be in a sweater and warm socks and end up on the floor!

I am the USC, so I can't really speak to fainting history and doing the Knightsbridge medical, but I know my doctors here don't think it's a problem. I have low blood pressure, I'm tall, and I overheat somewhat easily. I've passed out on and off for the last 10 years or so.

I think Knightsbridge is looking for diseases that would cause a potential burden on the US healthcare system. If you've never required medical attention and have been checked out for any more serious issues regarding the fainting (which sounds like its a very isolated event), I can't imagine on what grounds they could deny you.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for replying! Your advice is good, especially with the layers. Knowing how overheated I get, I will probably need to sit there in summer clothes.

I wasn't aware that I could take anyone into the interview with me? My Mum has offered to come down to London with me and wait in the waiting room but having her in the exam room would be helpful.

I think I might get the doctor to write a letter but keep it in my pocket unless absolutely needed. I just wish we didn't have to do a medical!!

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
...currently waiting...

I'd sort of say honesty is the best policy throughout the whole process! However, with this , if you tell them then they might want to do further tests. If you faint while you are there, they might want to do further tests anyway. So really there is no right or wrong answer.

I did my medical about two weeks ago there and it was such a pleasant and quick experience. They were all really nice, the waiting room and building is really quite fancy and welcoming. There aren't like people sitting there looking like they are going to die. (I think everyone who was there with me were all for visa medicals!)

Make a day of it and get there in plenty of time. I'd walk versus getting the tube and stuff, just plan your route and take your time. I say walk so you aren't stressing out about which tube line to get etc. and you can get some fresh air. Don't be nervous! Easier said than done if you get nervous often but trust me, it's really quite fun and exciting in a strange way. They all chat to you about general stuff and visa things, and life stuff haha.

IF you faint, they will maybe/probably want to run extra tests. However, by NOT telling them, you can just blow it off and say you just felt really warm and haven't had much to drink today and had to rush over here on an empty stomach. So yeah pretty much the opposite to what I said you should do above. By doing the above though, you should relax yourself and minimise the chance of fainting. If you do though you can say all that and then they will most likely buy it! Because they take some little blood tests and stuff anyway so anything sinister would show up on that.

So it's really up to you. Everything else, full honesty. With that though I would consider doing what I've just said but ONLY if you KNOW that it is just a doctor thing. People who actually go as far as to fainting in situations usually do have something that is triggering this. So I would go and see you OWN doctor first and see what they say. You might have something really minor that is triggering them. Low blood sugar, iron, you name it! It's best to find out what though.

If you KNOW there is t anything, then I would keep shhtum and just go for it, enjoy the experience and you might just surprise yourself once you are there at how relaxed you are.

By the way! I'm not just saying this, but the blood pressure cuff felt nowhere near as tight as they do at other places. So it's quite funny that you mention that because it's something I though when they did it. Just felt like a tight t-shirt :/ but she said I had good BP so winner!

Hope that helps! It really will be ok though smile.png

I definitely agree with not taking the tube. All those people, stations, and potential transfers could add anxiety to the day before you're even there! Or, take the tube, but go really early with the plan to walk and grab breakfast somewhere nearby. Take a walk in the brisk air and just relax.

Just take your time and think about why you're doing this! Focusing on the positives might help take your mind off the appointment itself a bit!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

Oh wow, thank you all for the replies!

I'm a little confused whether to say something or not but maybe I'll just go with the flow and see how I feel? I'm definitely going to have a long walk beforehand and a big meal. I hate the tube so will definitely avoid it, its so hot down there!

I never knew there was a thing called white coat syndrome! Crazy but I guess it makes sense.

Honestly, thank you all for such quick replies, there is a lot of useful info and I'm grateful for it :)

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
...currently waiting...

Timeline

I definitely agree with not taking the tube. All those people, stations, and potential transfers could add anxiety to the day before you're even there! Or, take the tube, but go really early with the plan to walk and grab breakfast somewhere nearby. Take a walk in the brisk air and just relax.

Just take your time and think about why you're doing this! Focusing on the positives might help take your mind off the appointment itself a bit!

Yep! That's the one! If you are going on the train as well, it's really close. Like less than 2 miles! So I was there within half an hour of Euston Station. Got there mega early and went and had a cheeky cake in costa! :P then after, had a wander down oxford street and then over to the embassy just to have a look.

I was there for my student visa back in 2009 but had time so thought I'd refresh on how far from the station that was too. Was about 40 mins walk :)

Timeline

I'm a little confused whether to say something or not but maybe I'll just go with the flow and see how I feel? I'm definitely going to have a long walk beforehand and a big meal. I hate the tube so will definitely avoid it, its so hot down there!

I never knew there was a thing called white coat syndrome! Crazy but I guess it makes sense.

Honestly, thank you all for such quick replies, there is a lot of useful info and I'm grateful for it :)

You're welcome! It's pretty cool this site isn't it, I've been using it a lot recently for little things here and there.

One thing I'd say if you take someone with you... The doctor will want to check the goods! So might wanna tell mother dear to turn away before you drop trow! :D haha

Timeline

You're welcome! It's pretty cool this site isn't it, I've been using it a lot recently for little things here and there.

One thing I'd say if you take someone with you... The doctor will want to check the goods! So might wanna tell mother dear to turn away before you drop trow! biggrin.png haha

It is so helpful! I'm sure I have annoyed some people with little questions or being silly and panicking over time but everyone here is so nice to me and I know I'm in the best possible hands for great answers.

And haha I didn't know that! If Mum comes, I'll be sure to give her advance warning!

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
...currently waiting...

Honestly, thank you all for such quick replies, there is a lot of useful info and I'm grateful for it smile.png

I get 'white coat hypertension'. That is, any time a doctor takes my blood pressure, it's elevated. When I take it, it's fine. I've taken my own blood pressure monitor into the doctors to show that it works correctly. My blood pressure was elevated at my medical and she was going to tell me to go back to my doctor for more tests. I asked her to allow me 30 minutes to calm down and I knew that my blood pressure would reduce. She reluctantly allowed me that time and it did reduce to an acceptable level.

I agree with the layers and the no tube (if you can). You probably won't be able to bring someone into the actual medical (and it would raise questions as why you wanted someone with you). they will be able to stay with you in the waiting are a - there were a few people who had brought someone with them when I was there. So they will be able to keep chatting to you to keep you calm.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Hello.

This may sound strange but hopefully someone here can help me with my query. My fiance suggested asking here as we are not sure about it...

So. Every time I go to the doctors I faint. It all started back in 2005 and I fainted in the waiting room after having a top-up jab for Hepatitis after going to Africa. I remember feeling very hot reading a magazine, and apparently I stood up and fell down but I don't remember. I came to on the floor very confused, had some oxygen and then went home. At the time we thought it was a reaction to the injection.

The only time I visit the doctors between then and now is for repeat prescriptions of the pill and once because I had a problem with my ear. Except for a couple of occasions, every visit has resulted in me fainting. I start to feel hot and then I'm on the floor with a doctor leaning over me. Sometimes I try to stand up (maybe to go get some air) and I immediately go down.

I think it happens most often when they take my blood pressure. I hate the cuff and it probably gets me more worked up than I should be. I'm going to practice lots with my Dad's one at home before my medical. I also feel weird when they talk about side effects etc. The last time I went, the doctor said it was nothing to worry about as some people are just prone to fainting fits (like Victorian ladies used to be), and that my blood pressure drops but then picks right back up again. I also think that psychologically I program myself to believe I'm going to faint as it happens every time, and then I do so. I spend some time on my back afterwards with my legs raised, and then I'm fine to go home. Last time I drove home 15 mins later (after wolfing down 2 chocolate bars for some sugar) so it really doesn't affect me too much.

I'm so so so worried about fainting during my medical in Knightsbridge. We were wondering this:

1) Should I explain to the doctor beforehand that I regularly faint at the doctors because I don't like going but is the only time in life I faint?

2) Or should I bring a letter from my doctor explaining I faint but its nothing to worry about?

3) Or should I not mention anything, hope I don't faint and if I do either shrug it off as a one time thing or explain I have this habit of fainting at the doctors?

Would revealing I faint every time be grounds to fail the medical? I am really worried over this. Sorry for the long post and if you've made it this far thanks for reading! Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, you poor thing :( I'm the same at theme parks. I'd definitely make the doctors at Knightsbridge aware so they don't freak out.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.