Canerican

Doing exiting Taxes for Canada, but doing first taxes for USA

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I know that I posted something somewhere, but am not able to find it now. I entered the US on a K-1 visa and was wondering how I would do both my Canadian and American taxes this coming tax year?

I worked in Canada from January-March 2013 and will have worked in America end of September to December. Is there any special way that I have to do my tax on either side of the border?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

I can't give you advice, but can share my own experiences from last year. The Canadian taxes for your terminal year will have to be calculated and filed manually. I had my terminal taxes to file last year and asked both CRA and Intuit if I could use Turbotax. They both answered yes. The real answer was no. In my case, I was able to prepare most of it via software, but the extra forms had to be done manually and you can't file electronically. I filed on time, spoke with CRA, who tell me it was received on time and is being processed, but have yet to see the notice of assessment. It was an ugly package. Don't forget your deemed dispositions.

I was hoping someoe would have some information too.. I have to wait for the T4 from my old company as I understand it right? (Great I won't get it until end of Feb or later... /facepalm)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://forums.serbinski.com/viewforum.php?f=2 free cdn/usa tax forum!! Back in 2005 (for my 2004 taxes) I did use a online software program to do my exit return from Canada, but can't recall the name of it, wasn't 1 of the big named ones. Just ask//or do a saearch on serbinski

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I can't give you advice, but can share my own experiences from last year. The Canadian taxes for your terminal year will have to be calculated and filed manually. I had my terminal taxes to file last year and asked both CRA and Intuit if I could use Turbotax. They both answered yes. The real answer was no. In my case, I was able to prepare most of it via software, but the extra forms had to be done manually and you can't file electronically. I filed on time, spoke with CRA, who tell me it was received on time and is being processed, but have yet to see the notice of assessment. It was an ugly package. Don't forget your deemed dispositions.

What do you mean by deemed dispositions?

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

What do you mean by deemed dispositions?

I was wondering this as well.

I do not have any RESPs or RRSPs. I have closed all but 2 bank accounts in Canada and neither have enough money to make any interest. I also no longer have an active Canadian credit card as it came up for renewal and I didn't activate the new card.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Deemed disposition means you crystalize the value of your Canadian assets which remain in Canada as of when you left. This means things like real property, RRSPs, mutual funds and so on which remain in Canada. The CRA has some guides on their web site that cover the forms required to report the value of those assets on departure so as to avoid or minimize or defer taxation to the date of actual disposition and report the income [if any] to the correct jurisdiction.

Oh if you don't have any then this isn't a problem I bet. Guess I should be glad I never did those things.

Timeline

Will I need to add my now wife to my exiting taxes for Canada and file as married, or do I file as a single as I entered the US engaged on a K-1.

If you were married by the end of the year, you have to file as married.

Timeline

So if I file as married do I have to add my USC wife to my taxes, put N/A for Social Insurance Number and add her USA income to the taxes as foreign income?

I put all zeros on the SIN (actually the tax preparer did that) and figured out his foreign income as converted into CDN $$. At least that's what I did last year when I was still in Canada.

Timeline

I will be seeing a professional for advice, and yes paying a pretty penny for it, but it's wayyyy too complicated for me to understand and consider filing forms on my own.

I'll be retaining my Canadian account with RRSP's, investments and pension incomes, etc through this Can. account. My head swims even after many hours on the prior suggested Serbinski website, and I've taken notes for when I eventually book an appointment to see the experts ( I prefer to have at least an inkling of what the discussion will cover, and questions ready ).

A few basic starters I've found include -and these are mostly copied from threads on the Serbinski forums:

Re: selling House and having that $ in Can acct and moving that money to the US

- US (like Canada) does not tax wealth. It taxes income. Transferring money from one bank to another or one country to another is not income.

Now, selling your home in Canada in the year you moved to US means that you will need to be careful how you do your taxes in US this year, since unlike Canada, your gains are not unlimited tax-free (it's $500K gain per couple tax-free, and only if you lived in the house 3 years). But this has nothing to do with where the proceeds are sitting, or if you transfer them to US.

Re RRSP's: your RRSP account is exempt from Canadian departure tax. What is departure tax? On the departure date, the CRA deems that you sold all of your assets at its market value and any positive difference between the market value and the original cost of the asset will be taxed as capital gain. Some assets, such as your RRSP and TFSA accounts, and principal residence are exempted from the deemed sale.

the US-Canada tax treaty allows non-residents to maintain growth within the RRSP tax free in the United States. This is done by filing a Form 8891 -(US Information Return for Beneficiaries of Certain Canadian Registered Retirement Plans) and attaching it to your US tax return each year. This form will allow you to defer paying tax on your RRSP income until you begin your withdrawal.

8891 is filed with your 1st US return. But you need to keep track of the BOOK value of your RRSP on date you arrived (or, if you elect to file full year 1040, which is likely), Jan 01, 2013.

As a non-resident with a RRSP account, you will only be responsible for 25% withholding tax on all of your withdrawals. If you turn your RRSP into RRIF or other annuity payments, the withholding tax will be reduced to 15%. You may also be able to claim a Foreign Tax Credit in the US for the withholding taxes paid to the CRA.

A company RRSP contribution IS deductible on your US taxes, by the way. It is private RRSP contributions which are not deductible.

For someone who was never a US taxpayer, The cost basis for determining future US taxation of an RRSP is the book value on the date one became a US taxpayer, plus any non-deductible contributions made thereafter.. For RRIFs, there is no cost basis, the RRIF is 100% taxable in US, regardless of when it was formed.

(Canadian RRSP is deductible -When it is part of an employer-sponsored RRSP).

There is no way to transfer RRSP to an IRA in the US.

re FBAR:

There is a box on the bottom of schedule B, which needs to be filed every year with any return, that specifically alerts one of the need to file special forms if one has any foreign accounts. Eg FBAR

-----------

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

If u keep ur RRSP's--one has to fill out form 8891 to uncle sam every year.........http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8891.pdf

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone, I know this forum has been inactive for some time but it seems to be addressing the questions I have about finances and investments before moving to the US.

@Lakehouse thanks for your thorough review of this. It's really helpful. I too will be moving to MA, and hope to get my finances sorted before my departure, which I expect to be in a few weeks. 

I have a moderate amount of RRSPs, TFSAs and savings at a Canadian bank. I may use some of my savings for a downpayment for a house in the US - hopefully when the exchange is more favourable - but I do still hope to keep some money in my Canadian bank account for now especially given the current terrible exchange rate.

Just wondering a few things:

1. For your Exit Taxes, would keeping my investments in RRSPs ONLY be a safe way to avoid being taxed on my assets? Are any other forms of investments possible without taxation as we resettle in the US?

2. When we exit and declare our assets, would we have to continue reporting yearly - ie. if I decide to exchange CAD to USD over time, therefore causing my Canadian assets to decrease, would this be reported? Would there be any benefit or detriment of having more/less Canadian assets to report?

Trying to plan the most financially wise way of doing this! Thank you all.

Edited by Jenn&Matt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.