Peter79

CR1/IR-1 Visa or K3 Visa - we are both living out of USA

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ok, but some said that foreign income doesn't count?!?

They are both correct- foreign income doesn't count for visa sponsorship, but any US citizen needs to file taxes with the IRS, even if living abroad. A visa will not be granted without proof of tax filings.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Ok, but some said that foreign income doesn't count?!?

As a US citizen, your wife is required to file US tax returns on her worldwide income even if nothing is earned in the US. The US taxes based on US citizenship and LPR status, rather then on residency in most other countries.

Your wife could be entitled to a foreign income exclusion. Even if the exclusion results in zero taxes owed, your wife still has to file.

Enough about US tax laws.

Here is how your wife's tax situation will affect you. She needs US tax returns from the last 3 years in order for you to get a visa. Even though her income will not count and a Joint Sponsor is being used, your wife has to fulfill the the requirement to file US tax returns in order for you to get a visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I just have a bit of experience to share. I am a USC, my husband is a Serbian citizen and we are living in Serbia now. In September we filed our I-130, sent it to the Chicago lockbox and now we are waiting. I have contacted USCIS and requested an expedite for two reasons under the expedite criteria but was denied. I also brought up the point of DCF (where a USC living abroad with their foreign spouse/family files with their consulate to get home faster) but wasn't given a straight answer. Our embassy in Serbia, and I believe all central and eastern european US embassies no longer take visa applications (which is why you will send your I-130 to the Chicago lockbox). They will not treat you as a DCF and an expedite is VERY difficult to get because of the volume of peoples needs/requests. It will be a year+ from sending package to entering the US, then you will have more paperwork to do there. Good luck and best wishes!!

USCIS
09/03/2013 - Sent I-130
09/13/2013 - NOA1

04/23/2014 - I-130 Approval/NOA2

NVC

06/02/2014 - DS -261 & AOS invoice Available

06/03/2014 - AOS invoice paid & DS-261 completed
06/04/2014 - DS-261 received by NVC

06/10/2014 - AOS Package sent
​06/16/2014 - AOS received/scanned by NVC
08/01/2014 - AOS checklist via email*
08/04/2014 - AOS checklist packet sent

08/06/2014 - IV Package sent with AOS barcode coversheet
08/07/2014 - DS-261 reviewed by NVC

08/09/2014 - IV Bill invoiced

08/11/2014 - IV Bill paid
08/12/2014 - AOS checklist scanned at NVC

08/13/2014 - DS-260 Completed online

08/13/2014 - IV Package scanned at NVC

09/09/2014 - AOS checklist hard-copy*

09/11/2014 - "Real" AOS checklist packet sent*

09/15/2014 - "Real" AOS checklist scanned at NVC

10/03/2014 - NVC received emailed expedite request, forwarded to Belgrade Embassy (financial)

10/09/2014 - Belgrade Embassy denied expedite (financial)

10/16/2014 - Emailed expedite request to NVC, forwarded to Belgrade Embassy (NVC error)

10/17/2014 - Expedite ACCEPTED!!! (NVC error)

10/23/2014 - NVC shipped case to BLG

11/07/2014 - Called BLG, inquired about case and received interview date, interview packet was mailed 11/6/14, never received any email
11/13/2014 - Received interview packet, postmarked 11/10/14 even though BLG said sent on 11/6/14

Embassy
11/13/2014 - Medical

11/19/2014 - Interview- APPROVED!!

11/21/2014 - BLG posted visa packet through DHL to Čačak (has tracking number)
11/24/2014 - Visa in hand (picked up in Čačak at DHL)

11/28/2014 - Goodbye Serbia!
11/29/2014 - POE in Seattle

*On 08/01/14 I received a checklist via email and responded right away. Over a month later, on 09/09/14, I received the hard-copy in the mail. Upon reading the hard-copy, I found that NVC made a mistake and emailed me the wrong checklist. I contacted a supervisor at NVC and she instructed me to write a letter of explanation to accompany my "real" checklist response. She also told me this may not help me and that we may be back in line. Lord help us!

Hello

I have read a lot of informations about CR1/IR1 and K3 Visas, but I have still some questions.

Here are the facts:

- my wife has USA and Croatian citizenship (has US passport)

- we live together in Croatia (Europe)

- she is working in Croatia, I am working in Slovenia (Slovenian citizenship)

- we are married less than 2 years

- we want to move to the USA where her 14 years old son (from first marriage) lives, and her aunt lives.

Now as I understanding:

1. option:

- I can apply for K3 visa (I-130 and I129F)

- to work in USA I must immediately apply (when I'll be there) for I-485 and then for I-765 ?

or

2. option:

- I can apply for CR1/IR-1 visa ( I-130 and I-864 )

QUESTIONS:

=> Here I have question about filling form I-864 - Affidavit of Support. Because my wife (my sponsor) is not working in the USA but here in Croatia where we are living, what we have to do? Fill this form with incomes from Croatia or what? Or the sponsor should be some one else (like her aunt)?

=> In my case...which is better and faster...apply for K3 (with I-129F form) or IR1 visa (just I-130)?

PS> sorry for a little bit longer post and for my grammar mistakes:)

The IR-1 visa sounds like the best for you, however you must have been married for a MINIMUM of 2 years. If you wait until you have been legally married for 2 years then file for IR-1 you will be allowed to work in the USA technically upon landing. There are advantages to the IR-1 over the CR-1. See guides at the top of the home page. Good luck and God Bless.

Filed: Timeline

Hi every1

Now I was talking with my wife about taxes. She has US and Croatian citizenship. As she work in Croatia for last 10 years she is paying taxes here as all croatian do.

At the embassy they never told her that she must file tax report. Now she is confused.

What to do now with I-864?

I know there is still some time to get to this point, but anyway...

Edited by Peter79

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The US Embassy processes the immigration petition. Their job is not to advise you about all the requirements. That's why there are immigration lawyers to give advice. Don't expect the US Embassy to walk you through the process by telling you what you need to do. You are expected to know the requirements for what you apply for.

This is a Do-It-Yourself forum so there are lots of requirements you must learn on your own unless you use a lawyer. The US Embassy will not tell what you need to pass their process - they don't advise on individual cases.

Your wife needs to file her US tax returns. Filing her Croatian rax returns does not excuse her from filing US tax returns.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#31

Edited by aaron2020

Hi every1

Now I was talking with my wife about taxes. She has US and Croatian citizenship. As she work in Croatia for last 10 years she is paying taxes here as all croatian do.

At the embassy they never told her that she must file tax report. Now she is confused.

What to do now with I-864?

I know there is still some time to get to this point, but anyway...

You do not need to worry about sending the I-864 with the I-130. It's not needed until the I-130 is approved and the case moves to the national visa center. That is why I suggested concentrating on the I-130 and read up on the rest after step 1 is done.

Your wife will need to file back returns. Unless she made over the foreign exclusion amount though she wont have to pay any taxes. I believe that is around $90k.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

There is no DCF in the Balkans due to there being no USCIS field offices at the US embassies in those countries.

You can find a list of international USCIS field offices here: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices and if your country isn't on that list then you cannot file DCF.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Penguine is very accurat on the amount of time, but to me at least a year for I-130.,.,.,,maybe more, but I have seen it in 6-7 months, but most are a year or longer!

Here you will find info about filing back taxes: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-International-Individual-Tax-Matters

I think filing back taxes for the last 3 years will be required for your wife.

More info is here: http://americansabroad.org/issues/taxation/us-taxes-while-living-abroad-faq/

02/2005 - We met

09/2013 - Got married

12/16/2013 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

12/18/2013 - Fee charged to credit card

12/23/2013 - Received NOA1

01/27/2014 - I-130 approved

01/29/2014 - I-130 Approval letter received

02/24/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

02/27/2014 - Package 3 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/11/2014 - Interview letter received (interview in mid-April)

04/15/2014 - Visa approved

04/19/2014 - Visa received

09/10/2014 - U.S. entry (became permanent resident)

06/27/2016 - Filed  I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

07/08/2016 - Notice for biometrics appointment received

07/18/2016 - Biometrics appointment

10/27/2017 - Notice: New green card is being produced

Filed: Timeline

Have some more questions. I know that marriage certificat,birth cert have to be translated to English.

For evidence we also have:

- joint bank account here in my country

- both names are on the car insurance policiy

- etc,....

Are these paper have to be transleted to English for I-130 too, or is it enaugh just to append copys.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.