jonMullick

UK Spouse- visit USA during I-130 in process

11 posts in this topic

When we were going through the I-130, my hubby came to visit several times with no problems. I would advise that she carry strong proofs of her ties to the UK like leases, letters from employers....anything that shows she is only visiting.

Have a nice time!

I-751 Submitted August 2008

RFE Nov. 5, 2008 for incorrect fee

Nov. 6, 2008 Package returned to VSC with correct fee

NO COMMUNICATION FROM USCIS WHATSOEVER!

August 29, 2009 Letter of Intent to start removal proceedings

August 31, 2009 Letter and Phone with Congressman's office

Sept. 3, 2009 Infopass

Sept. 4, 2009 New I-751 submitted with another fee

Sept. 25, 2009 I-797C NOA received with 1 year extention dated Sept. 14, 2009

Oct. 2, 2009 NOA2 Biometrics Letter Appointment received

Oct. 9, 2009 Biometrics

Oct. 12, 2009 Updated on USICS website

Jan. 12, 2010 RFE

Feb. 2, 2010 RFE Returned

Feb. 4, 2010[/b ]RFE Received by USCIS

Feb. 19, 2010 EMAIL, TEXT & WEB UPDATE! CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED! Hallelujah!

Feb. 22, 2010 Second Email and text stating card production ordered.

Feb. 24, 2010 Email and Text stating Approval notice mailed.

Feb. 25, 2010 Approval letter I-797C dated 2/19/2010 received.

Feb. 27, 2010 Green Card arrived!! Envelope postmarked 2/23

Vintage Gifts & Upcycled Art!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Be carefull about this. I know of someone who was in the same boat as you. He's wife came on a number of occasions without any issues while the process was ticking along. The last time she tried to come over, the immigration officals denied her entry because they found out (somehow) that she was in the process of getting an immigrant visa. She was refused entry and had to fly back to London on the next flight out.

She then had to declare on her application that she was refused entry into the USA. During her interview they ask her questions about it.

Thankfully this expereince did not negatively impact her ability to get approved for the immigrant visa, the possiablity was there. My friend and his wife were very concerned about it.

If I was you, I would seriously consider going to see her in London rather than taking the chance of her coming to the States while her immigration process is in the works.

08/06/06 - Married in India 3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_india_2fawm.gif

------------------------------------USCIS - CSS-----------------------------------------

09/09/06 - Submited I-130

09/19/06 - NOA1

11/27/06 - NOA2 - Approval

----------------------------------------NVC------------------------------------------------

12/07/06 - NVC Received and Case # Assigned

12/18/06 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032generated

12/19/06 - E-mail DS-3032 Choice of Agent to NVC

12/20/06 - AOS Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

12/22/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent Accepted (received e-mail conformation from NVC)

12/25/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated by NVC

01/03/07 - ASO Application generated by NVC

01/06/07 - IV Fee Bill Received (snail mail)

01/08/07 - IV Fee Bill sent next day delivery to St. Louis by USPS

01/12/07 - ASO Application received (snail mail)

01/13/07 - ASO I864-EZ application sent to NVC priority mail (3 day delivery)

01/15/07 - DS230 Generated

01/18/07 - DS230 sent to NVC - overnight delivery by USPS

01/26/07 - DS230 finally received 11 days after it was generated.. can anyone say snail mail..

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE AT NVC

02/28/07 - Case left NVC

03/03/07 - Case received at Mumbai Embassy

05/22/07 - Medical Interview Breach Candy Mumbai

05/24/07 - Interview date at Mumbai consulate - APPROVED!

06/02/07 - Mumbai - Paris - Atlanta - Charlotte. Departs June 1st 4.45am EST Arrives June 2nd 4.12pm EST

07/10/07 - Received Conditional Greencard. Still waiting on the SSN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
I filed for my spouse I-130 in Sep, 2006. My wife is UK citizen, can she visit USA as visitor in the mean time. I would apreciate your insight.

My wife has visted me 4 times , most of it while our application for the I-130 is being processed (She's actually here visiting now :whistle: ......for the holidays. She has not received the immigrant visa yet.)

She has never had any problems entering, or been asked to show any documents etc.......

But as that previous reply points out, there is always a risk of denial, and your spouse to be turned around. So......you'll have to decide if you feel it's worth the risk. For my wife and I , it was, and thankfully, each visit was smooth and trouble free.

Good luck.

Edited by MPGGPM

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

And whatever you do...DO NOT apply for a visitor visa. As everyone has stated, just bring proof of ties to the UK and remember that there is always the risk of being denied entrance to the U.S. Avoiding words like married to U.S. citizen and husband have cause denial before as reported in other posts.

Filed: Timeline
And whatever you do...DO NOT apply for a visitor visa. As everyone has stated, just bring proof of ties to the UK and remember that there is always the risk of being denied entrance to the U.S. Avoiding words like married to U.S. citizen and husband have cause denial before as reported in other posts.

Thanks for your kind reply.

What you mean by "Avoiding words like married to U.S. citizen and husband have cause denial before as reported in other posts"?

Do mean to tell in the port that she is married to a US citizen? Please clarify.

Thanks.

jonMullick,

Visit, yes. Relocate under the guise of visiting, or visiting so often and for so long that it is effectively relocating no matter what else one might wish to call it, no.

People most often talk about demonstrating ties to the home country, as they have in this thread. Thing is, such ties are in the process of being broken as is evidenced by the petition that you have submitted. Given this circumstance, more important than the ties to home are the reasons for making the visit. There should be a clear purpose for the visit, temporary in nature, such that when the purpose has been accomplished there is no reason to remain.

Yodrak

I filed for my spouse I-130 in Sep, 2006. My wife is UK citizen, can she visit USA as visitor in the mean time. I would apreciate your insight.
Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

This is a tricky one...

For Visa Waiver citizens, it appears to not be illegal, but is at the discretion of the officer at the POE. My wife, who is French, flew CDG --> Heathrow, Heathrow --> Seattle this past Sunday. 2 hours after the plane landed, and the baggage from the flight was no longer in Baggage claim, I was about to cry, when she came out of the arrivals area... Immigration asked her "What are you doing in the USA?" She said "visiting my husband" they said "does he live here?" She said yes. They asked, why don't you live here, she said "Because I am still working in Paris". He said "welcome to the USA".....

Now, my wife said she picked the guy who seemed to be scruitinizing people less, and she was the last person in line outside of the plane's crew, so perhaps he was ready to get finished....

Best of luck!

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

adelaarsvaren,

What you say applies to B visa holders as well, not just to VWP people.

Nicely done by your wife, very nicely done. The best evidence of all is the individual and how they conduct and express themself. And I particularly like the way that your wife observed the CBP officers and based her choice of line on their conduct.

Yodrak

This is a tricky one...

For Visa Waiver citizens, it appears to not be illegal, but is at the discretion of the officer at the POE. My wife, who is French, flew CDG --> Heathrow, Heathrow --> Seattle this past Sunday. 2 hours after the plane landed, and the baggage from the flight was no longer in Baggage claim, I was about to cry, when she came out of the arrivals area... Immigration asked her "What are you doing in the USA?" She said "visiting my husband" they said "does he live here?" She said yes. They asked, why don't you live here, she said "Because I am still working in Paris". He said "welcome to the USA".....

Now, my wife said she picked the guy who seemed to be scruitinizing people less, and she was the last person in line outside of the plane's crew, so perhaps he was ready to get finished....

Best of luck!

Our I-130 has been approved for a while and my wife is waiting for her IR1 interview dates getting arranged. She entered the US today on her old visitor visa without any problems.

The officer asked the usual questions (duration, purpose of this visit, return ticket proof, duration/date of previous visit) and she's been stamped for a six month stay (as usual..)

So it seems to be decided on a case-by-case basis - good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.