Canadian Bacon

Taxes Question

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I (petitioner) resided in Canada with my husband as a student this whole past year while we waited for him(beneficiary) to be approved for PR. I didn't make any income(illegal to work under my permit). We're going to POE next week and I was thinking on how we were going to file taxes. Has any one had any experience with this?

He was a student this past year as well, he worked part time at the beginning of the year but was laid off in Feburary and had to claim EI, his employer(s) refused to give him his income(t4?) form to file income this past year - they got in trouble. I doubt they'll give it to us for this coming tax season. After EI was up, he finally managed to find another crappy job to hold us over until we could move but they fired him after he hurt his back working there. So it's my understanding, he files taxes in Canada and then....how does the filing for US work? I doubt we'll be able to find jobs in the US in December(end of tax year) as in my town it's the firing season - everyone gets laid off and companies cut back.

So say he claims on his Canadian tax roughly 10k. We file this as soon as possible when tax season starts, right? After that we file married-jointly and state what? I had no income (father is co-sponsor), do we just put the income he made and file by hand with a copy of his canadian tax forms or?? It's my understanding they cannot tax us if the money has already been taxed.

P.S. do you know if I need to include any left over federal student loan $$? I know a get a tax break from having paid interest on it but I don't see how I'd get a tax break for $0 income haha.

So confused, thanks for your help!

-Crystal

S56Lm8.png
rFeXm8.png
ItOPm8.png

tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto1_400.png
tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto2_1280.png
tumblr_msyxny883n1rhdguto1_1280.png
19/09/13 - 3rd checklist for Police Record, claiming nothing was attached to the email. Checked sent email- it was attached (downloaded to make sure the file wasn't corrupt, it was fine.)
01/10/13 - Case complete- finally!
03/10/13 - "The National Visa Center has forwarded your file to the US Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for an immigrant visa."- recieved P4.
22/10/13 - Medical exam - Montreal @ Medisys - Time: 1h 50m Cost: $290 for exam, $20 for flu shot, $45 dtap. Total: $355. Score 6/10 - bad/insufficient office management.

04/11/13 - Medical papers in hand. Becareful, our package was in cheap envelopes stapled together...
20-11-13 - Interview - APPROVED!

20-11-13 - ISSUED but in AP.

22-11-13 - Issued - PRINTED.

25-11-13 - shipped.

29-11-13 - picked up. smile.png

03-12-13 - Flight to Vancouver to pickup the rest of our stuff from storage. Also our first wedding anniversary. <3

04-12-13 - POE Peace Arch - Pacific Highway

06/12/13 - Home

10/01/14 - SAVE contacted SSA office on our behalf and SSA accepted the SSN application

18/01/14 - SSN arrived

22/01/14 - Received driver's license.

24/01/14 - Green card received in mail!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.