southernchic

African male culture...

148 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Okay what is meant by "snubbing" (sp?) I want to make sure that I'm doing it right whatever it is....lol Seriously what is meant by that??

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

As I mentioned before, my fiance is from Lagos, Nigeria. I remember talking to him about the different Nigerian tribes. There was a long explanation, but the short of it is he's from an "Edo state".

09/11/06 (09/12 GMT): Introduced.

12/08-12/14/06: Had a wonderful time visiting Kessington in Senegal.

12/11/06: We became engaged!!!

12/26/06: Mailed I-129F to USCIS TSC. Petition forwarded to CSC.

01/08/07: Receipt date per USCIS.

01/09/07: Check cashed.

01/10/07: Touched.

01/16?/07: Received NOA1 in the mail.

02/20/07: Finally a second touch.

02/21/07: Touched two days in a row!

03/28/07: Touched.

03/29/07: Received an e-mail that USCIS mailed our approval notice on 03/28/07!!

03/31/07: Received NOA2 in the mail.

04/16/07: NVC received approved petition. (Finally!)

04/18/07: Case transferred to embassy in Senegal, according to NVC.

04/21/07: Received snail mail notice from NVC dated 04/19/07 that they recently received our

petition & it would be forwarded w/in a week.

04/24/07: Embassy received approved petition. Signed for by Luc Badiane.

04/25/07: Received e-mail from embassy, in reply to my e-mail from 04/20, stating they've

received our petition & have attached instructions & forms necessary for the interview.

04/26/07: Embassy hadn't contacted my fiance, so I forwarded the e-mail I received from them to him.

06/21/07: INTERVIEW --embassy "confirming my fiance's eligibility for a visa" ???

10/16/07: 2ND INTERVIEW(Please let his visa be granted this time Lord). APPROVED!!!

• 1 year later...
I thought this old thread has some real good discussions on adjustment advice and is sprinkled with humor here and there.

Maybe someone can get something out of it even though it is ancient. :P

Good thread :thumbs:

Yes, awesome thread. I'm reading some of the posts and i can't stop cracking up. :lol: I can relate so much. Being a Sierra Leonean myself isn't much help either, my fiance and I still have those "communication differences".

My AOS Timeline

I-751

01/17/12: Mailed priority with delivery conf.

01/20/12: Arrived Vermont service center

01/24/12: Check Cashed.....yippeee

01/26/12: Received NOA in the mail

02/14/12: ASC APPOINTMENT NOTICE

03/08/12: Biometrics appointment date

01/10/12: 10 year green card in the mail!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I thought this old thread has some real good discussions on adjustment advice and is sprinkled with humor here and there.

Yes, awesome thread. I'm reading some of the posts and i can't stop cracking up. :lol: I can relate so much. Being a Sierra Leonean myself isn't much help either, my fiance and I still have those "communication differences".

I agree, this is a great thread!

You know one of the things that drives me nuts about my SO's culture is that they are so laid back and take things as they come. Here's a perfect example... my SO lives with his family, well they are moving and he will be rooming with a friend of his. We know that the Embassy was/is planning on doing a home visit (feels like scan or something, lol) and it's stressing me out that he doesn't know the address to where his family will be moving to. I ask him about it a couple of times a day and he keeps saying his mom doesn't know yet. She's moving today and I want him to go to the Embassy in the morning to give them the new address info just in case they plan on visiting this week and he's determined to do it on Monday. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

We're actually a great contrast to each other because he can settle me down and I can try to inspire him to hurry the hell up, lol.

Maybe it's men in general and not a cultural thing. Time just doesn't really seem to be an issue over there from what I can tell :whistle:

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You know one of the things that drives me nuts about my SO's culture is that they are so laid back and take things as they come. Here's a perfect example... my SO lives with his family, well they are moving and he will be rooming with a friend of his. We know that the Embassy was/is planning on doing a home visit (feels like scan or something, lol) and it's stressing me out that he doesn't know the address to where his family will be moving to. I ask him about it a couple of times a day and he keeps saying his mom doesn't know yet. She's moving today and I want him to go to the Embassy in the morning to give them the new address info just in case they plan on visiting this week and he's determined to do it on Monday. GRRRRRRRRRRRR

We're actually a great contrast to each other because he can settle me down and I can try to inspire him to hurry the hell up, lol.

Maybe it's men in general and not a cultural thing. Time just doesn't really seem to be an issue over there from what I can tell :whistle:

Bassi is the same way, but I HAVE to share this because it was a great moment for me. I've been nutty about some work Bassi has been doing on mom's house in Amasaman. (his mom) Well, I kept telling him to hurry up and get it done. Make a list of everything he'll need, get it all and then go and do it. I was basically the foreman from across the Atlantic. Needless to say he told me not to worry and it drove me crazy. Some of you will remember my torment as I did have a small venting moment here about how long it was taking him to get this work done. Well, last week, he was talking about something about this project that wasn't yet done and he was worried about finishing it and wanted it to be done already so he could concentrate on the interview. He actually said, quite casually, I should have listened to you and organized myself and gotten this finished earlier so I wouldn't be thinking about it now. I nearly choked on my own saliva. I MADE him repeat it and had a moment of nirvana. But I know it's not gonna change a thing.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline

Bassi is the same way, but I HAVE to share this because it was a great moment for me. I've been nutty about some work Bassi has been doing on mom's house in Amasaman. (his mom) Well, I kept telling him to hurry up and get it done. Make a list of everything he'll need, get it all and then go and do it. I was basically the foreman from across the Atlantic. Needless to say he told me not to worry and it drove me crazy. Some of you will remember my torment as I did have a small venting moment here about how long it was taking him to get this work done. Well, last week, he was talking about something about this project that wasn't yet done and he was worried about finishing it and wanted it to be done already so he could concentrate on the interview. He actually said, quite casually, I should have listened to you and organized myself and gotten this finished earlier so I wouldn't be thinking about it now. I nearly choked on my own saliva. I MADE him repeat it and had a moment of nirvana. But I know it's not gonna change a thing.

I remember reading your vent about this and remember chuckling about it because it reminded me of Tony and I and foreman across the Atlantic is a good way to put it. He always gets things done and everything always ends up being just fine it just doesn't end up always going according to my perfectly layed out plan :P

You should have recorded him saying that girl.... may not hear it again for a while, lol.

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

Girl, that ain't nothing but African Time. Booker used to (and still does :angry::rolleyes: ) live on Liberian Time. It's really frustrating to an #######, time-based American person. His relaxed behavior makes me very nervous at times. His cousin in Liberia asked us to make her some invitiations for her son's b-day party. I bugged my SO about those forever. He finally decided to Fedex them a week before the party and now they arrived there FOUR days before the party. I was so mad that he cut it that close. We worked too hard on those invitations to have them show up a. too late or b. only FOUR days before the party.

Timeline

Girl, that ain't nothing but African Time. Booker used to (and still does :angry::rolleyes: ) live on Liberian Time. It's really frustrating to an #######, time-based American person. His relaxed behavior makes me very nervous at times. His cousin in Liberia asked us to make her some invitiations for her son's b-day party. I bugged my SO about those forever. He finally decided to Fedex them a week before the party and now they arrived there FOUR days before the party. I was so mad that he cut it that close. We worked too hard on those invitations to have them show up a. too late or b. only FOUR days before the party.

Oh I bet.... nervous is a good description. It doesn't make me angry, it just stresses me out!

And when they say they're on their way...... later that same day (like 3 hours later)! LOL

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.