Phoenyx

I'm lost about the procedure with IR-1 PLEASE HELP

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I really need some help with the visa process. My husband is an American citizen and I am from Spain. We got married in UK. We have been married for 2 and half years now. He recently moved out to New York for work and I want to join him there. We are completely lost about the procedure.

It seems we have to file for petition 130 and wait for approval. Meanwhile, there is the option of k3 visa while we wait but it seems this visa is obsolete. So what happens then? Do I have to wait til the petition is approved for me to get the IR-1 visa? How long can this take? Can I travel to the USA to see my husband while the petition is being processed? We have been apart for 2 months now, trying to save up money for all this, and I want to see my husband. Can someone guide me a little bit please? Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Do I have to wait til the petition is approved for me to get the IR-1 visa? How long can this take?

That is exactly how it is. It will take anywhere from 6-18 months, sometimes less, but most times you're more on the longer side. Since the goverment shutdown, it doesn't look like petitions are beeing processed anywhere under 12 months.

Can I travel to the USA to see my husband while the petition is being processed?

If you have a valid visitor visa, or can travel under VWP you can visit him.

Can someone guide me a little bit please?

If you would live in the UK, you could have done DCF. This way the visa would be issued anwhere from 6 weeks to 3 months.

Read the guides: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

That is exactly how it is. It will take anywhere from 6-18 months, sometimes less, but most times you're more on the longer side. Since the goverment shutdown, it doesn't look like petitions are beeing processed anywhere under 12 months.

Really? This is horrible!!! The government expects families to be apart for a year? #######? (Excuse my language)

If you have a valid visitor visa, or can travel under VWP you can visit him.

In Spain, we just need to fill out the ESTA visitor visa in order to travel to the US. I am asking this because if it's going to take this long, at least I need to be able to visit him.

If you would live in the UK, you could have done DCF. This way the visa would be issued anwhere from 6 weeks to 3 months.

Read the guides: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

Oh we didnt know this. Shame :( I no longer live in the UK. I am in Spain now :(

Is there any other way for me to join him faster? It seems I cant adjust status if I am on a visitor visa....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not clear on details, but I suppose if you were to obtain a working visa, and then adjust status while working in the US, at least you could be together.

If it's anything like Canada, there are certain occupations for which working visas are achievable faster than other lines of work.

Unfortunately, I don't know the system nor the timelines for such visas in the US, but perhaps it's an option.

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

I'm not clear on details, but I suppose if you were to obtain a working visa, and then adjust status while working in the US, at least you could be together.

If it's anything like Canada, there are certain occupations for which working visas are achievable faster than other lines of work.

Unfortunately, I don't know the system nor the timelines for such visas in the US, but perhaps it's an option.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it as well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Yes.. unfortunately it does take that long and longer. My husband and I filed in Aug and we arent expecting anything to happen any time soon. We are resigned to the fact that my visa will be issued somewhere in summer of 2014... god forbid if not longer!

There is no fast or easy way of doing this.

Another poster mentioned a work visa. It is an avenue you can look into, but work visas are hard to come by. You'll have to find a company that is willin to sponsor your work visa and then get lucky that a work visa is available.

As for visiting your husband while you are waiting, you can, just make sure you have ties to spain eg. a job, an apartment/house etc.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

unfortunately there will be a wait no matter what---> at least if you can travel under VWP you can visit, there are some people who can't even do that! Once you get past all the waiting it will be worth it!

Good luck !

Timeline

I can travel under VWP but still the trip to the US from Spain costs a lot of money. I cannot believe they do this to families! The work visa is not an option. I have looked and it's difficult to get since I dont have a job offer from the US. What if my husband was with me in Spain? Could we apply from here?

I can travel under VWP but still the trip to the US from Spain costs a lot of money. I cannot believe they do this to families! The work visa is not an option. I have looked and it's difficult to get since I dont have a job offer from the US. What if my husband was with me in Spain? Could we apply from here?

Yes. If he can reside in Spain with you, that's fine. He doesn't have to be living in the US to file.

Later, when completing the I-864, he'll need to show he has a US domicile (or is intending to reestablish one or that his stay outside the US was temporary) if he is still outside the US at that stage.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Yes. If he can reside in Spain with you, that's fine. He doesn't have to be living in the US to file.

Later, when completing the I-864, he'll need to show he has a US domicile (or is intending to reestablish one or that his stay outside the US was temporary) if he is still outside the US at that stage.

We dont own a house in the US so how do we do that? I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I am just trying to see what our best option is. Thanks

We dont own a house in the US so how do we do that? I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I am just trying to see what our best option is. Thanks

Domicile doesn't mean, like, literally the house that you live in. You don't have to own a house! You have to show you have a life there, or one you're going back to/starting. People use evidence like a job in the US, voting records, car insurance/driving licence, rental/mortgage agreements.

If he has a job in the US he's started, can he put that job on hold and plan to go back to it? Do it temporarily from abroad? He must be living somewhere while he's in NY - what do you plan to do with that place if he comes back to Spain to wait?

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Domicile doesn't mean, like, literally the house that you live in. You don't have to own a house! You have to show you have a life there, or one you're going back to/starting. People use evidence like a job in the US, voting records, car insurance/driving licence, rental/mortgage agreements.

If he has a job in the US he's started, can he put that job on hold and plan to go back to it? Do it temporarily from abroad? He must be living somewhere while he's in NY - what do you plan to do with that place if he comes back to Spain to wait?

He is renting a room right now. He's taking a master degree that can be taken online as well (thats why he can travel), would that be something considered "a life in the US? he can go back to finish his studies,

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

It might be a tad easier for Canadians, but even if she would qualify for a work visa, it will take anywhere from 5 months to over a year to get (plus $1K's in fees). And since you are married to a USC, your visa is most likley to be denied.

Is there any other way for me to join him faster? It seems I cant adjust status if I am on a visitor visa....

No, and anything short of the timeframe I mentioned above would be unrealistic. It's better to prepare yourself, that you will be spending around a year waiting to join him. Adjusting on a visitor Visa would lead most likely to deportation, since you must proof that you entered the US with no intention to immigrate.

I cannot believe they do this to families!

Get use to it, that's just USCIS for you.

What if my husband was with me in Spain? Could we apply from here?

Your husband ofcourse can move to Spain and wait with you there. A petition can be filed anywhere in the world. If you however live in a country (i.e. UK, Germany) where DCF is offered, you can get the IR-1/CR-1 done in as fast as just 6 weeks!

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

He is renting a room right now. He's taking a master degree that can be taken online as well (thats why he can travel), would that be something considered "a life in the US? he can go back to finish his studies,

Yes. Also, paying his taxes, and other things I mentioned above. It's actually not too bad to prove. It's just something to keep in mind if you decide to file from abroad - folks who file with the USC in the States don't have to think about it.

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

It might be a tad easier for Canadians, but even if she would qualify for a work visa, it will take anywhere from 5 months to over a year to get (plus $1K's in fees). And since you are married to a USC, your visa is most likley to be denied.

No, and anything short of the timeframe I mentioned above would be unrealistic. It's better to prepare yourself, that you will be spending around a year waiting to join him. Adjusting on a visitor Visa would lead most likely to deportation, since you must proof that you entered the US with no intention to immigrate.

Get use to it, that's just USCIS for you.

Your husband ofcourse can move to Spain and wait with you there. A petition can be filed anywhere in the world. If you however live in a country (i.e. UK, Germany) where DCF is offered, you can get the IR-1/CR-1 done in as fast as just 6 weeks!

Thank you for the info. I wish I knew about the DCF when I was in the UK!

Yes. Also, paying his taxes, and other things I mentioned above. It's actually not too bad to prove. It's just something to keep in mind if you decide to file from abroad - folks who file with the USC in the States don't have to think about it.

I will explain all this to my husband. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.