Fatty

Wow what a crazy few days

14 posts in this topic

Thanks again everyone for the support in my last post.

We'll we went to London. Got to the hotel ok. The underground was a nightmare again, but we coped this time and no one had ice cream!

Got to our interview the next day. Kids were really hyper but otherwise things were going smoothly.

We were at the inteview bit, handing over our documents etc, when he asked us if we had a travel date. We told him probably April May time, but that we needed the visas beofre our baby is born in Feb, so the baby can travel with us. It says on the embassy website the baby can travel if it has a passport and long form birth certificate, provided the baby is born after the visas has been issued.

Well turns out that's not entirely true. That would have worked out if it was ME applying for the visa, not the father. But since I'm a US citizen and my husband is the one getting the visa, the baby can't derive status from his visa or whatever.

So our only options were, to hold off the whole process and go through it all again when the baby is born....which would drive me nuts after the expenses time and energy we've poured into this. To leave that place without a yes or a no would drive me crazy. Or to go ahead with this and then have the baby in America.

So we had two minutes to make the decision while he went to the bathroom! I was almost crying, my kids were literally rolling around on the floor meowing like cats, and totally misbehaving, and I could not think straight.

But we decided to go ahead with it and have the baby in the states.

We got approved! yay.

I am already 30 weeks pregnant, so I only have about 5 weeks left which I can travel before the airlines will stop me flying. So 5 weeks now to sell the house, pack up and leave. We need to tell my mum, and husband's parents that they won't get to see this baby, and they're going to hate us. need to tell all the friends and family we're leaving MUCh sooner than we had planned. Plus I have no health insurance, so I'm going to be paying a lot of money to have this baby over there!

Then stupid me, I forgot that Ryan air need photo ID and the embassy retain the passport. So this morning, after 3 hours of sleep (because of staying up all night talking about how we're going to do all this in 4-5 weeks!) we get the taxi (not underground! yay) from Kings cross to liverpool st, then the stansted express to stansted, just to be told by Ryan air that photocopies of passports are not acceptable, and they can't let us on the flight. I seriously by this point couldn't take any more.

So we had to spend another £200 getting the train all the way to Glasgow, which was 1.5 hrs to petersborough, then 5 hrs to Glasgow central, then 45 mins to prestwick, then the bus to the car park, then the hour drive back home. Kids have been exhausted, they haven't eaten a proper meal all day and we didn't get home until 11pm. As soon as we walked in the door (hadn't stepped foot out of the hallway yet or taken off our shoes) my husband got a phone call from his sister saying his granny died while we were away.

So now we have to tell the family we're leaving at such an aweful time. man everyone is going to hate us!

But I guess this is good right? We got approved. I haven't had much time to just revel in that bit.

I'm looking forward to having the visas in hand. I won't believe it til I see them I think.

July 30th - sent off I-130s

August 7th - I-130s filed with USCIS and we receive our notification postcard a few days later

Nov 5th - sent in the DS-2001 part 1 and the DS 2001

Nov 6th - received our packet 3 stuff, which I took as I-130 approvals

Nov 13th - received packet 4 - interview scheduled for Dec 14th

Nov 20th - had medicals

Nov 24-ish - received our actual I-130 approvals, I have no idea why they took so long to arrive!

Dec 14th - interviews - approved!

Dec 16th - visas delivered

Jan 13th - leaving party :( I will miss so many people!

Jan 19th - our travel date

Feb 20th - our baby's due date

Oh and also, I wanted to note, on a positive note, how friendly the guy at the embassy was. In fact, veryone was really friendly, at security and everything. We expected it to be a bit sterile and strict, but people were joking with us and laughing, and the guy was so compassionate about the dilema with the baby being born and needing a visa etc. He gave us his name and a contact number for him incase we need more help with anything. I was very pleasantly surprised by that.

Oh and also, in the actual interview question bit, my husband got our wedding date wrong! Argh. The guy just laughed at him and corrected him.

August 7th - I-130s filed with USCIS and we receive our notification postcard a few days later

Nov 20th - had medicals

Nov 24-ish - received our actual I-130 approvals, I have no idea why they took so long to arrive!

Well Good News....Congratulations on your approval. Now go and get your stuff packed!!!!!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

My GOSH! I was exhausted just READING your post! You have been through an incredible few days and now you have to pack :wacko:

Congratulations on getting the visa, I hope your move goes smoothly as well. So sorry to hear about your husband's granny.

What a journey!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Congratulations and good luck with the move and everything

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sheesh, what a story!!! And typical of a man to forget his anniversary date....that's hysterical!

I suppose if things aren't completely wrapped up within five weeks, you and the kids could come on ahead to the states and leave Mr. Forgetful to finish up the details?

Nope we don't have a purchaser for the house. It was going on the market Jan 2nd anyway (provided we got the visas, which we did), and that's still in place. It's not going to sell in time now, so I guess we'll be paying our mortgage from the states for the first few months. Which really sucks.

We discussed my husband staying back while I go on, but I really want him to be there when I have the baby, and to spend the time with us. We lost a 3 months old baby in 2001 and those first few days/weeks/months are really precious and nervous for us, and I really need him to be there. So we're sticking together, wherever that may be. And just have to hope our family are going to be understanding of it all.

I dreamt all night last night about telling people how soon we're going and people getting cross with me. I hate to be the one breaking hearts. But I have to do what's right for us, right?

Nov 20th - had medicals

wow!! What an adventure! You are going to be one tired momma when this is all over! Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your story. And yes I do believe you have to do what is right for you. But be sympathetic to the parents (grandparents) in England because their frustration is really just sadness that you are leaving. They will come around!

Again good luck! I am excited for you!!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Other Timeline

I'd go ahead and get the house on the market now - just my 2 cents. You never know when some potential buyer, dreaming of Christmas in their own place next year, might be ready to give up the hunt and sign now. January 2 is 2.5 weeks on - personally I wouldn't want to lose the time.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'd go ahead and get the house on the market now - just my 2 cents. You never know when some potential buyer, dreaming of Christmas in their own place next year, might be ready to give up the hunt and sign now. January 2 is 2.5 weeks on - personally I wouldn't want to lose the time.

I agree with Rebecca. I got a buyer for my house as soon as it came on the market...but it still took 10 weeks for the conveyancing to go through. That was without a chain too.

Nope, the baby is not entitled to citizenship, as I don't meet the residency requirement.

The house is soooo not ready for viewing/surveying yet. We've been fixing it up like crazy and still have a lot to do in these next couple of weeks. Been painting today, and we have plastering to do, and fixing and gutting and cleaning etc, in order to get the full value out of it. It's going to be a push to just have it done in 2 weeks. It is in a good location, and hopefully won't take too long to sell. Houses out here tend to sell quickly, but I guress you can never be certain of these things, and you never know which way it could go. I just have to hope and pray.

Nov 20th - had medicals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.