evilmonkey

UK Baby Passport - US Citizen Father British Mother

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

We would like to get our 4 months daughter a UK passport and I am really lost as to what I need to do

Some background facts for you:

Father is a US citizen

Mother is a British citizen by birth (have a british passport) - also have a 10 year Permenant Resident card

We have been married for last 3.5 years

Both of us live in San Francisco, CA

Baby currently has a US passport

Couple of questions for you guys

1) Do I need to register the child's birth or can I apply for a passport directly?

2) If I can apply for the passport directly, can I do so in person at my San Fran British consulate? What forms do I need to fill and approximately how long does it take?

3) What supporting documents do I need for the passport and/or registering the birth?

I apologize if this has been asked before but any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I just noticed the fee to apply for a UK passport from US is near double than what it is to apply from within UK

We will be travelling to the UK in the next 2 weeks, can our daughter travel with us on her US passport? We will then apply for her UK passport from within London

Should I be carrying any extra piece of evidence? or anticipating questions at Immigration?

Thanks!

I just noticed the fee to apply for a UK passport from US is near double than what it is to apply from within UK

We will be travelling to the UK in the next 2 weeks, can our daughter travel with us on her US passport? We will then apply for her UK passport from within London

Should I be carrying any extra piece of evidence? or anticipating questions at Immigration?

The baby is American with a passport. Yes she can enter the UK as a visitor on her US passport. Do you mean will they question why a British woman is traveling alone with an American baby? Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I should have explained the situation better

My company has gotten me an Intra Company Transfer Visa - Long Term Staff and I plan to move my family to UK for atleast 3 years. We all will travel together

With that in mind, will they question, why is the baby coming in on an American passport? I can explain to them simply that applying for a british passport was much more expensive from US so we plan to get it in UK

Thoughts?

I have no experience travelling with a baby but I honestly do not think they will care. Your baby is American also. She is entitled to both passports and can use either one as she chooses.

.... why is the baby coming in on an American passport?

Because the baby is an American.

On another note, have you done all the arrangements to make sure you don't lose your greencard by being out of the US for 3+ years? Does hubby have all the papers allowing him to stay in the UK that long?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

The hubby is a US citizen so it should not be a problem for him to stay out for 3+ years

Additionally, we leave for the UK, I should receive my naturalization certificate (fingers crossed) so it should be all fine

Thanks for all your help - I greatly appreciate it!

The hubby is a US citizen so it should not be a problem for him to stay out for 3+ years

Additionally, we leave for the UK, I should receive my naturalization certificate (fingers crossed) so it should be all fine

Aha. I didn't know you were getting citizenship. I just read in the post that you had a greencard. What I meant about your husband was not about staying out of the US. Does he have authorization from the UK government to remain in the UK that long?

Next time your baby enters the UK, she can enter as American or British because she will have both passports by the next trip. All of you are required to re-enter the US as Americans (once you get your citizenship).

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

As your hubby is a US Citizen, its not a problem for him to stay out of the US for 3+ years but is he allowed to STAY IN the UK for that amount of time. If the proper documents/route hasn't been taken by either yourself or your company then you may find that your hubby will have to leave and go back to the US while you stay behind and work. If you receive your naturalization certificate, being a UK Born Citizen you will be fine for both countries I believe but he may not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.