BattleAxe

Will a DWI prevent me from getting a work visa in the Phillipines?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Not even sure if I should be asking this here, but it seems like a good place to start. I searched google and didn't find anything.

Anyway, I met a filipina girl last year, she lives in Manila. And we've been talking a lot about me coming to see her and possibly moving there next year. I work with a company right now in NY that has offices in Manila so I might look at a transfer, hopefully. The thing is I got a DWI in 2011, I had prescription sleep medicine from the night before in my system when I happened to wreck my car and it showed up in my blood at the hospital so the cop charged me with a DWAI. I don't know anything about how visa stuff works in the Phillipines. The only country I have experience with is China and that was a piece of cake. But I know with Japan and Korea they're real strict about it, so can anyone tell me what my odds are of getting a work visa in Manila? Perhaps summarize the process, give me some links, etc.? I really appreciate it. And is marrying this girl the easiest way to get residence over there? That's definitely in the cards if we fall in love. Thanks everyone.

This is what I found out by just doing a google search. First, I found out what you are going to need is a Philippine Alien Employment Permit (AEP), I then did a google search for "how do I apply for a Philippine Alien Employment Permit (AEP). A website I found contained the following information:

Alien Employment Permit

It is not enough to secure an employment visa before moving to the Philippines. The government requires non-resident foreign nationals to apply for an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) if they plan on working in the Philippines. The department responsible for this permit is the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)

You can try to apply for an AEP at your nearest consulate or embassy. However, an application will be more successful if it is done through your prospective employer at one of the regional offices of the DOLE. The period of validity of your AEP depends on the duration of your work contract and the nature of your position in your company in the Philippines.

Website: http://www.internations.org/philippines-expats/guide/moving-to-the-philippines-15355/philippines-visa-types-and-requirements-2

You may also need an ACR-1 card. This website also contains information for this.

If you check out this website, you will need to scroll down until you see the heading, "Alien Employment Permit."

Best of luck!

If you get married to her, you can file for a 13a visa which will allow you to work. And no, they won't care about your DWI

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.