jastabell

Where to start?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone, I am somewhat like the "Screwed up bigtime" dude, except not as screwed up....That thread stopped making sense to me so I decided I was worthy of a new thread....

So I am Canadian, and met and married my husband while he was going to school there. So, 1) we were married in Canada. Then, I easily slipped through the border with him, already knowing that we had avoided something important, but everyone in our family was telling us to do something different in regards to the immigration process. We were dumb and didn't do research ourselves, we just listened to his father. so 2) we are now living in an apartment here in the USofA. I have done NOTHING in regards to this immigration process but am desperate to do it legally and to be able to work in this country. I feel helpless and hopeless, not able to bring any money into our household...craigslist jobs aren't good enough, I have a degree and I want to use it. Anyways, unlike "Screwed up big time", I have been in the country for less than 6 months which I think is the tourist visa cut-off...so I have not overstayed in the country or worked in the country. But I don't want to be seperated from my husband, what do you suggest we do? What is our first step, everything seems so complicated, but the longer we procrastinate the bigger the Visa monster grows....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The ideal situation would be to adjust status - but I know the best advice is generally to at least consult with an attorney to make sure that there aren't any barriers to you doing that.

My understanding is generally that it's okay if you enter and then decide to stay, because you didn't have immigrant intent when you entered. I guess it would be helpful to know if you lied at the border, because that would probably make it alot harder to adjust status.

I know it sucks, but believe me - NONE of us want to be separated form our spouses. My husband and I have been living apart for well over a year now, and it looks like it will be close to two years before we are finally together.

If you search the boards, I'm sure you will find someone recommending a free or cheap consulation with a lawyer.

Hey everyone, I am somewhat like the "Screwed up bigtime" dude, except not as screwed up....That thread stopped making sense to me so I decided I was worthy of a new thread....

So I am Canadian, and met and married my husband while he was going to school there. So, 1) we were married in Canada. Then, I easily slipped through the border with him, already knowing that we had avoided something important, but everyone in our family was telling us to do something different in regards to the immigration process. We were dumb and didn't do research ourselves, we just listened to his father. so 2) we are now living in an apartment here in the USofA. I have done NOTHING in regards to this immigration process but am desperate to do it legally and to be able to work in this country. I feel helpless and hopeless, not able to bring any money into our household...craigslist jobs aren't good enough, I have a degree and I want to use it. Anyways, unlike "Screwed up big time", I have been in the country for less than 6 months which I think is the tourist visa cut-off...so I have not overstayed in the country or worked in the country. But I don't want to be seperated from my husband, what do you suggest we do? What is our first step, everything seems so complicated, but the longer we procrastinate the bigger the Visa monster grows....

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Take a chance and see if you can adjust in country, you will need to lie about your entry.

or see here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.