Mumu

K2 wanting to marry a same nationality non US citizen

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

What happens if a K2 GC holder wants to marry another person of the same nationality, studying in the US, under a student visa?

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Packet 3 received May 25th 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

I'm not a reference between packet 3 and 4. Some papers were missing so things were delayed.

Approved
See Timeline for update

RFE another child to add delays the case

Green Card received 18 July 2014 Almost a year! :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

They live happily ever after? They would file the I-130 and when a visa number becomes current they will continue with the processing. If the intending immigrant is in the country in status they can file the I-485 when the visa number becomes current or they will continue the processing for the visa at the consulate.

Timeline

LOL! Ok so They are both in the US and none of them need to go back in their home country? It's that simple?

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

I'm not a reference between packet 3 and 4. Some papers were missing so things were delayed.

Approved
See Timeline for update

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

no.

pay attention to the F2A Priority Date Calendar in the monthly visa bulletin.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Not only I'm asking if a K2 living in the US can marry someone of the same nationality, who's studying or working in the US with a student or a working visa and then this person can stay in the US or not....

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

Approved
See Timeline for update

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For a green card holder there is a line for a spouse to get a green card. sometimes that line takes years. If your student spouse is legally in the country when they get to the front of the line they can stay if their legal status expires before then they have to leave to wait until they are at the front of the line Google visa bulletin and look at the date for F2A that is the date the the person filed who is currently at the front of the line

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Not easy to understand.. But thank you

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

Approved
See Timeline for update

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

can the foreign student 'stay' in the USA and adjust status after marriage, getting a green card, without leaving the USA?

maybe. all depends one the Visa Bulletin and what's current with F2A visa types.

---

If they had filed the big AOS set in August or September, it would have gotten almost instant attention, as the priority date was 'current', then.

--

Now yer sneaking out of October, and that priority date is slipping. The priority date processing calendars are put out in a monthly visa bulletin, at some point you should study that.

---

now, say they get married. Cool ! they're married ! Can file the big AOS set (we've a guide for that) and see what happens, roll the dice, take yer chance. If'n they are lucky, it'll get in the system quickly and an interview date assigned within 5 months.

---

If they aren't lucky, he'll have to stay on his student status for the duration. If/When she becomes a USCitizen, well, that changes everything, can bump the petitioner designation at USCIS (LPR to USC) and get instant priority.

---

If he finishes his schooling before she becomes a citizen, for example, and the AOS hasn't been processed, he would need to go back to his home country and wait.

---

HTH ! Lots of forks in the path, tis a spaghetti decision-tree matrix, to be certain. Might be confusing, at first blush, also.

If the K-1 person gets USCitizenship, then the K-2 person can get it, as well (I THINK) at the same time - do some research on that, see if that's meaningful to you and yours.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

This is so confusing... Yes they would marry in the US while he'd be on a student visa, or employed somewhere in the US. And doing research is not easy at all.

NOA1 August 6 2012
NOA2 April 16 2013

NVC April 22 2013

Interview July 11th 2013

Approved
See Timeline for update

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.