keysjangle

I miss Canada a lot lately. I've started hoarding all the Canadiana I can to bring to the U.S. How do you commemorate your homeland?

39 posts in this topic

I'm from BC and it's beautiful there but to be honest all I miss is the weather (summer is Alabama is disgusting humid) but more importantly, my friends. I've lived there all my life, but I mean, I didn't have many ties to the city let alone the country. And yes of course, can't forget Timmy's!

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I bought a $15 (tiny) bag of Tim Horton's coffee last time I was at Epcot!! The silliest part is that my sister was coming to visit the next week, and I could've just asked her to bring me a much cheaper, bigger tin of Tim's, but I was just SO DARN EXCITED that I could buy it myself, in Florida! LOL

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

can buy tim hortons coffee on Amazon at decent prices. Back in Saskatoon tried the Timmys Keurig cups--wasnt too bad!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Snow has started in Ontario. Hot, humid, and voggy (volcanic smog) here in Hawaii... would rather be in the cold.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Timeline

Voggy? Interesting.

Haven't left yet...still here.

We've had snow here for...hmm...two weeks or so now? (South/central Alberta...I'm living kind of on the borderline lol)

I think even though it'll be nice not to have to commute and spend all the money on winter tires...I'll miss the snow.

I remember one visit where I went down and on the radio, there was a promotion/contest where they'd bring in a snow maker and you could play in REAL SNOW!!!!! OMG!!!!

I laughed.

(Yep he's in SoCal)

What else will I miss? Okay Calgary area specific here but spolumbos sausages. Sooo yummy. Local company, organic gluten free goodness!!!

Easily available maple syrup. I may move down with a crate of the stuff to keep me going and beg family to send regular shipments (they're all in the Ottawa area in Ontario)

I have a friend who now lives in Arizona. She's pregnant and craving m&ms (meat shop) peach juice. So I packed her up a massive care package lol.

The dog will miss the snow. She's such a snow puppy...

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Someone at work asked me if the snow stays all the time. They then hung their head and realized what they said and clarified they meant during the winter. I said sometimes it takes a month and sometimes it doesn't melt off at all. Where my mom lives is different as it's a ski hill. Denver is almost as high as the base elevation for Big White too. lol

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

We live in igloos. Peach is my lead sled dog.

Sigh. More snow tonight I think. Dang.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We fly also both flags out front of the house - its a conversation piece in the neighbourhood smile.png

As do we and my neighbors are well aware that there is a Canuck amongst them.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

I'm lucky. I still work in Canada and live just outside of Detroit. It's a hour long commute to and from work but I love the fact that I get to go back to Canada 6 days a week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.