ed990

NVC Case Status for an Old Case?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Please pardon my ignorance as I'm new here. Anyway, here goes:

My uncle (mother's brother), who is a US citizen for over 30 years, submitted the I-130 petition for my mother back in 1988. Thereafter, in May 1994, my mother got a letter from the Transitional Immigrant Visa Processing Centre - later named as NVC. The letter had a Case Number, and it was mentioned that, if need be, all future correspondence should be directed to the NVC. There has been no contact from NVC since.

Unfortunately, the letter got misplaced when my parents moved to a new address 4 years back. Having found it recently, she is keenly interested in following up on this case. As such, I emailed NVC 3 days back with the necessary details: case number, applicant DOB, petitioner DOB etc.

Is there any chance that this case can still be pursued? I do realise it is a very old one, and it might have been scrapped by USCIS, but you never know. Any suggestions will be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well if no contact with NVC for a year they close the case.

But your uncle or mom need to be calling NVC to see what's up. But I am sure its closed.

They would have to start all over.

Why no follow up on their part? Especially with these cases being decades to wait.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Well if no contact with NVC for a year they close the case.

But your uncle or mom need to be calling NVC to see what's up. But I am sure its closed.

They would have to start all over.

Why no follow up on their part? Especially with these cases being decades to wait.

Yes, I am following up on their part. But I'm still not sure what is the best way to go about with this case.

Starting over doesn't seem like a wise option; as the current wait time for F4 visas is in excess of 11 or 12 years! That is just way too long!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, I am following up on their part. But I'm still not sure what is the best way to go about with this case.

Starting over doesn't seem like a wise option; as the current wait time for F4 visas is in excess of 11 or 12 years! That is just way too long!

Your mother should have contacted NVC and followed the process as required by NVC because if you do not respond for 1 yr they will terminate your case. Try contacting an experience immigration attorney to discuss your options. Also you can post your question to a forum called AVVO for free and they have excellent immigration attorney's who maybe able to tell you your options good luck.

Edited by Delboy

Timeline

Your mother should have contacted NVC and followed the process as required by NVC because if you do not respond for 1 yr they will terminate your case. Try contacting an experience immigration attorney to discuss your options. Also you can post your question to a forum called AVVO for free and they have excellent immigration attorney's who maybe able to tell you your options good luck.

Thanks for the great advice, Delboy! I posted the question on Avvo and have already received a few helpful responses.

Timeline

Thanks for the great advice, Delboy! I posted the question on Avvo and have already received a few helpful responses.

I wish you all the best of luck( Ameen)and keep the forum posted.

Timeline

I've received a response from NVC. According to their email, they approved the petition a long while back and sent it to the relevant US Embassy for expeditious processing. So they've asked my mother to contact the Embassy for further update. I've checked the case number on the CEAC website: The petition was cancelled quite recently. But the good news is that the case has not been rendered invalid yet, and can be reactivated if there's sound justification as to why she was unable to pursue the case with the Embassy!

As such, my mother has contacted them. Let's see what they say.

Edited by ed990

Timeline

I've received a response from NVC. According to their email, they approved the petition a long while back and sent it to the relevant US Embassy for expeditious processing. So they've asked my mother to contact the Embassy for further update. I've checked the case number on the CEAC website: The petition was cancelled quite recently. But the good news is that the case has not been rendered invalid yet, and can be reactivated if there's sound justification as to why she was unable to pursue the case with the Embassy!

As such, my mother has contacted them. Let's see what they say.

Good luck!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.