lierre

Why did NVC ask to have the Japan police clearance sent?

12 posts in this topic

I'm Filipino, curently based in Japan with my husband, a USC military member. We are here on SOFA status (aka regular Japan immigration laws don't apply to us). We're here because the military sent him here and we're not alien residents of Japan.

So, I'm applying for a CR-1 visa. We've already submitted our AOS and IV packages. Then, we got this email...

Title: *** (CHECKLIST COVER LETTER)

Email itself:

Dear (name):

We have reviewed the documents which you submitted in support of an application for an immigrant visa. Please review the information listed under each applicant's name and provide any documents which are indicated as missing or need additional information. You must submit the required information. Failure to provide the requested information will delay your immigrant visa interview.

(Insert pre-constructed, non-specific words they put in such emails)

(Cover page on 2nd page of pdf, then this...)

______10 - JAPAN POLICE CERTIFICATE:_______________________________

Available. Japanese police certificates will not contain information about criminal convictions when:

1. The period of probation is completed;

2. Ten years have passed after the period of imprisonment is completed or waived, provided the individual has

no further punishments or fines;

3. Five years have passed after paying a fine or after an imposed fine was waived without any further punishments or fines;

4. The conviction was vacated or the offender was subject to a pardon or amnesty;

5. The conviction is for minor traffic violations;

6. The offender is considered a minor under Juvenile Law article 60; or

7. he sentenced punishment was abolished after sentencing.

The headquarters' records section of the Metropolitan or Prefectural police issues certificates which include a nationwide criminal records check.

NOTE: A limited validity Japanese passport may be indicative of a criminal history in Japan, although a police certificate may not show a criminal background.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan: Foreign nationals holding legal resident status and Japanese citizens must apply in person at the Metropolitan or Prefectural police headquarters having jurisdiction over their present place of residence in Japan. Processing time: approximately 3 weeks.

Applicants Outside of Japan: Former legal residents, former illegal aliens, and Japanese citizens, should apply at the nearest Japanese Consulate. Processing time: Two to three months.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan as Illegal Aliens: Officially, the Japanese police will not process requests for police good conduct certificates from illegal aliens while they are physically present in Japan. In some cases, however, the police will issue the appropriate police certificate, provided that the illegal alien submits to deportation proceedings and agrees to leave Japan by a date specified by Japanese Immigration.

U.S. Forces, Japan (USFJ): Criminal records of the Japanese and USFJ police are not cross-indexed. Therefore, a crime that occurred in one jurisdiction may not be reported to the police of the other jurisdiction. USFJ applicants, (civilian employees or military personnel, and family members), who are physically present in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement, (SOFA) must show the results of a check of both Japanese and USFJ criminal records. This type of USFJ police certificate will explicitly state that Japanese as well as USFJ criminal records were both checked and give the results. Processing time: Approximately two months.

Other USFJ police agencies issue a police certificate stating that only USFJ criminal records were checked. Processing time: Approximately two weeks. Such applicants must then obtain a separate Japanese policecertificate, as described above.

USFJ police certificates are unavailable to applicants outside of Japan. However, Defense Department law enforcement agencies may be able to determine if an applicant, who formerly resided in Japan under the SOFA, engaged in criminal activity

So, this was obviously something they copy-pasted off the State Department website cause I read those, word per word, from that site.

I fall under Applicant personally present in Japan and US Forces, Japan. I've gotten what I needed from Security Forces of my husband's base. They had it sealed and instructed me not to open it and was for opening by the consul during my interview. I got clearance from the Japan Prefectural Police. It was also sealed and they specifically instructed me not to open it. Only the consul during my interview can.

So, i believe this email request from NVC was a gross negligence on their part to create an email that was specific to my application. In my paperwork, i clearly stated I live in Japan, with my husband and we are not Japan alien residents.

Has anyone experienced this before? I am tempted to just ignore it and request for an expedite instead. (We have compelling reasons but are choosing not to do it yet because of the government shutdown's effects on the military) In that way, they will just send our paperwork to the consulate and then we won't have to deal wifh NVC anymore. (They've made a huge mistake with my application months prior)

Please guide me.

Edited by Captain Ewok

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Uh oh. Please edit my post so that my case number won't show. Please. Sorry. My bad.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

You will need to get Japan Police clearance. My wife and I was in Japan under SOFA when we process our papers and she was required to get one. http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/foreign/apply/tokoue.htm

ROC
08.11.2014 - Sent I-751
08.13.2014 - NOA
09.12.2014 - Biometric Appt
02.23.2015 - Card on Production (Decision Letter)
03.09.2015 - Greencard received

N-400

07.27.2016 - Sent Application for Citizenship

07.29.2016 - NOA1

08.15.2016 - Fingerprint

02.13.2017 - Interview Date

You will need to get Japan Police clearance. My wife and I was in Japan under SOFA when we process our papers and she was required to get one. http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/foreign/apply/tokoue.htm

I already have a Japan police clearance. And I know I need it and have already gotten it.

In a sealed envelope. Which the police specifically stated for me not to unseal and to give (sealed) to the consul during my interview. So, that is why I asked what I asked.

Did you mail your sealed envelope with the clearance to the NVC?

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

Oh yea forgot about that one I was reading multiple post haha yes we mailed it to the NVC.

ROC
08.11.2014 - Sent I-751
08.13.2014 - NOA

N-400

07.29.2016 - NOA1

08.15.2016 - Fingerprint

Oh yea forgot about that one I was reading multiple post haha yes we mailed it to the NVC.

But the police clearly told me I can only give it to the consulate. Are you sure it was mailed to the NVC? Sealed envelope and all?

Did your spouse get interviewed in Japan? Which embassy/consulate is this?

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

You have two options, mail it or schedule your interview and give your police clearance to the consulate. We mailed ours and they didn't ask about it during the interview. She had her interview in Japan last 2010 at US embassy in Tokyo

ROC
08.11.2014 - Sent I-751
08.13.2014 - NOA

N-400

07.29.2016 - NOA1

08.15.2016 - Fingerprint

I am of the understanding that I can't schedule my own interview. That the NVC does it.

I'm also not comfortable sending in the police clearance and having to wait for them to process it for 10-20 days. My husband and I only have around 45 days before he has to move to the US (with me in tow, hopefully).

Thank you so much for your response. I hope that people who have recently done the process also contribute their answers.

Audre Lorde

Posting to bump the thread.

Hopefully someone can help! :)

Update: I have emailed NVC re: impossibility of sending them a copy

Audre Lorde

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Japanese folks on here hardly ever visit.

Just to update this (in the hopes of helping someone in the future), yes, the NVC does want you to send the closed, sealed envelope.

Audre Lorde

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

hi IvyandDan, do the embassy ask you for the police cert on your interview? because i also sent mine to nvc and my interview in in 3 weeks and in my appointment letter in marked "J" which is means i need to obtain the original on my interview date. i was like "what?" because the police cert i sent to nvc was original and sealed. im confused

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.