Dogwood_Poet

Laguindingan International Airport in Mindanao - Any Reviews?

4 posts in this topic

Anybody had any experience with the newly opened Laguindingan Airport? My wife has been home visiting her family and the new airport has opened since she arrived. Her family lives only about 30 minutes from the new airport, so it should be a lot easier to get there.

I just wonder if there is any growing pains with the new airport or has everything been running pretty smooth? The only hitch I have heard is they still do not have the IFR equipment installed so bad weather can be a problem.

They are promoting it as an international airport, so maybe someday there will be flights direct to there without having to spend a day in Manila waiting on a connecting flight!

Thanks!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

• 8 months later...

Fly in and out of Laguindingan International Airport (LIA) daytime is still safe. Through if there is enough visibility abound before coming of rain/storm the plane will lane just fine. LIA was chosen to be situated by the sea where there is prevailing wind to prevent rolling cloud easily push their way in. Also, because the City of Iligan left without running airport (Maria Reyes Airport closed down mid-2000's) it was ideal location where agreement could pacify all future flyers and passengers coming and going both side of Northern Mindanao.

South Korean Government provided soft loan to Republican of the Philippines brand new navigational aid made in South Korea. Crime to this, everyone thought navigation, all lights, rotating ears, VFT and whistle would be there on opening day. Not true in that case. Even Cagayan de Oro Chamber of Commerce, who first championed of new airport, strongly opposed the opening day of Laguindingan and closing of Lumbia.

Only growing pain is late arrival and leaving of Air Philippines which had made (like my final flight out of CDO on March 14) almost 2 hours late. They were unloading over 2 dozen sari-sari size of Marlboro cigarette billboard in glossy print when my jet arrived. Uh!

Air Philippine Express should be avoid for now because of recent computer glitch (can't locate the article I read after I arrived Ohio). Got big quiet laugh in my plane when I saw Rep. Rufus Rodriguez marched in and going in the rear of the cabin, talking to his cellphone while holding his leather-soft briefcase, without knowing he was going. Not only did this Congressman realized when he had wrong seat but got on wrong plane, my flight, he quickly exit back to the gate! Because of personal frustration he eventually filed congressional inquiry on LIA

Accord to BusinessWeek Mindanao article, written just before I flew away few weeks prior Holy Week 2014, the situation remain true. However, there is control tower erected long before, did this article said it is unmanned. Wow, my plane must'a flying like a bat in sunglass!

Unlike the old Lumbia airport in Cagayan de Oro, the new Laguindingan Airport has no night landing facilities like runway lights, navigational equipment and a control tower. According to the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (Caap), daily flights to Laguindingan have dropped to 17 (Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific) compared to 28 to 32 daily flights at the old Lumbia airport, which was night-rated.

A Wikipedia article on that modern airport, aside older Lumbia Airport (converted to air force base), is now classified as a Principal Domestic Airport Class 1 by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines. For all latest development on expansions and reviews can now be seen in CDO PROGRESS WATCH website here.

I remember seeing a logo of Korean Air and even heard rumor of future South Korea direct connection, bypass Manila. And huge billboard posted up by Cebu Pacific saying direct flight to/fro Arabia region late last year 2013. Apparently that did not materialized, or did it? In Wikipedia via BusinessWeek Mindanao it said

An expansion of the passenger and cargo terminals, and parking lot are also currently being planned. With the large South Korean presence in Cagayan de Oro, the regional Department of Tourism is eyeing flight routes from Busan to Cagayan de Oro via Singapore or a direct route from Busan to Cagayan de Oro to further bolster the tourism industry in the region

Landed in Cagayan de Oro : August 4, 2007 (same Port where General Douglas MacArthur arrived as he escaped Japanese Naval)

Met in Assembly of God church : October 28, 2007

Civil Union Marriage : May 12, 2008

Birth of our son Ryker : November 8, 2010

CRBA interview, result: approval : August 20, 2014

CRBA + US Passport received: Sept. 11, 2014

USCIS DCF accepted @ U.S.E Manila: August 20, 2014

NOA2 via snail mail received, bypass G-1145 request: August 29, 2014 *LATE (Tsk-tsk, did you forgot to e-Notification us, USCIS?)

U.S.E Manila IV Unit assigned case #, notified us with Packet 3 : September 3, 2014

AOS (part for Packet 3) sent and received, from Applicant (me) to Beneficiary (my wife) : Sept 8-10, 2014

Medical examination @ SLEC) : passed : Sept 15, 2014

IV Interview : approved and issued : Sep19, 2014

Visa packet: next stop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark 9:23, 24 ~ Αἴ δύνασαι, The most approved reading in English rendering is, If thou canst! All things are possible to him that believeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

General things in VJ is Do-It-Yourself site which we all would help, giving advices, pointers and tips. I would like to think those law practitioners-for-paid and legal guide (the navigator-for-hired) out there: those who might like us not to perform DIY but letting them do all legal paperworks, pretending s/he know the best route for shortcut or else to apply jurisdiction, e.g. under the table, are merely fable and cannot stop us. This is information age we are living. WE all have same knot to tie, same kind of anxiety, same kind of sweat, of facing judgmental day whether CO grant our visa or not. If you do what we did​ you will achieve nothing less but pride in your accomplishment.

Question for you: will you be willing go through all navigating to learn and study trial and errors of others and then apply toward your pathway to get U.S. visa? Even this means making feedback or giving input from your candid observation.

So far so good. Yes they only have flights at daytime but soon it will be all fine. I think target date will be november this year as businessmen wanted to expedite the completion of the airport as they are losing a lot (according to the local news)

But the airport itself is better than the old one. More accessible from iligan city :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I flew in and out of Laguindingan Airport back in February with Zest Air and it was fine. Long ways from CDO, though. Only issue, the ATM inside the terminal was not working.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.