Keith&Marichu

New K-1 Visa Filing

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question,

Good Day to all me and my fiancee would like to file our I-29 in Manila USA Embassy i was going to send it all the way to the USA. Can we go to the Embassy and file the K-1 visa and also is it any faster by doing that ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

DCF is for Spouses married couples not for fiancée

Direct Consular Filing In General Pluses Minuses

Direct Consular Filing (DCF) allows a US Consulate to process a IR-1 / CR-1 Visa (for a Non-US Citizen (spouse) married to a US Citizen) without having to wait for the USCIS in the US to process the required paperwork. Instead all paperwork is filed and processed AT THE CONSULATE. This is often a much faster way to get a IR-1 / CR-1 Visa however there is one requirement that must typically be met:

To Qualify: U.S. consulates will typically only do this for US citizens who are Legal Residents of the country (typically for at least six months) in which the US Consulate sits (overseas). You will be required to show proof. This can be any country with a US Consulate (that the US Citizen is a resident) and need not be the country in which the Non-US Citizen Spouse lives.

If the US Citizen qualifies to file using DCF, in most cases it is the quickest route to obtaining a IR-1 / CR-1 Visa. Be sure to contact your respective Consulate to determine if this option is possible. Do not assume it will be. Once the IR-1 / CR-1 Visa is approved their rights of the IR-1 / CR-1 Visa Holder are the same as if they had gone through the USCIS in the US initially. The Non-US Citizen Spouse will upon receiving their visa and entering the US immediately become a Legal Permanent Resident. Their "green card" will be mailed to them shortly after their arrival. As a Legal Permanent Resident they may work and travel to and from the US freely using their "green card" and status as a Legal Permanent Resident.

ball.gif Potentially (if qualified) the quickest route to admission to the US and to Legal Permanent Resident in the US, based on marriage. The process usually takes less than 3 months

ball.gif The IR-1 / CR-1 Visa Holder has the same rights as if they had gone through the USCIS in the US initially.

ball.gif Wait times for the visa interview can be one week to three months, which is still faster than other marriage based visa options!

ball.gif Consular policies can change over time, and one should always confirm with the consulate that they will do this process.

ball.gif US Citizen must show proof of US domicile/intent to reestablish domicile to qualify as a Sponsor for the I-864.

Keep it Real

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Question,

Good Day to all me and my fiancee would like to file our I-29 in Manila USA Embassy i was going to send it all the way to the USA. Can we go to the Embassy and file the K-1 visa and also is it any faster by doing that ?

Nope can't file a K-1 through the embassy, have to go the long way around for the K-1 and file with USCIS in the States.

How long have you been in the Phils? Maybe look into getting married there then do a DCF for the CR-1 spousal visa, you can do everything through the embassy and the USCIS office there. Much faster.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The USC needs to file the I-129F petition first. Once that is approved, you can then apply for a K-1 visa at the consulate in Manila.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.