worrywart2013

Am I supposed to be or need to be in my wife's N-400 interview?

10 posts in this topic

Wife has her N-400 interview at the Memphis Office on 10/29. We filed the papers under "3 years married to a US citizen". As the spouse do I have to be/need to be in the interview as well? Do they interview me about the details of our marriage? Or do they only interview her?

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

No. The interview is only for her.

IR-5 for Parents

02-28-14 -> I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.
03-03-14 -> USCIS received. (Priority Date)
03-09-14 -> NOA1 received.
06-04-14 -> NOA2 received. Approved.
06-18-14 -> NVC Received case.
07-03-14 -> NVC Assigned Case#(Got Case# & IIN Over the Phone).
07-22-14 -> DS-261 Completed.
07-25-14 -> AOS fee Payment.
07-29-14 -> AOS fee shows PAID.
07-30-14 -> AOS Package Sent.
07-31-14 -> AOS Package delivered.
09-15-14 -> IV fee Payment.

09-17-14 -> IV fee Shows PAID.

09-18-14 -> IV Package Sent.
09-20-14 -> IV Package Delivered.

10-20-14 -> Case Complete.

10-28-14 -> Case Complete Email Received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It shows that you support her petition if you show up , if the letter of invitation didn't mention you being there you are not required to attend.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

The plan has always been for me to be there. I just didn't know what was expected of me. Sit in the waiting area or be ready to be questioned.

You being with your wife the day of her interview shows the office that you care about your wife I'm important stuff as citizenship and other things. You don't have to be interviewed by the office as this step is for her to prove that sheis worthy of being a citizen of this country. Good luck to your wife as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sure didn't want to see me, but sure wanted to see my papers. Yes, I wanted to be with my wife, first off, these interviews are tense, and it would be a 450 mile drive for her in a strange city and what affects her, affects me as well. Yes, I had to sit in the waiting room, seemed like she was in there forever.

Not only did she have her original documents, but our documents, and my documents as well, wanted to make sure we got all of those back, its not that I don't trust her, but do know the stress she is undergoing. Then she kind of goes brain dead with fear when walking into a office loaded with armed guards. Still had to file that AR-11 and was responsible for that crazy I-864. She was relatively new here, been here all my life.

We did spend time together going through all of our evidence, still says, she would never begin to understand our IRS. Never had that in her home country. Ha, even when buying a new toaster oven, we do this together, I for the technical features, her for the color, we are a team.

When we got into the car, what a memory she has, could go step by step through the entire interview, even the six questions she was asked for the civics test we studied together for. Then she fell asleep for the rest of the drive home, Poor thing, she was exhausted.

Oh, when we drove there, a major intersection was closed, I knew how to bypass it, she would have been dead lost.

Did I feel I had the right to be there, least to explain our and my evidence, but the USCIS has their own crazy rules. And they sure had there share of foreigners working there that barely could speak English. Was wondering what country I was in.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I plan to be there on my wife's interview along with my 5 year old and 2 year old . ;) and when her name will be called we will all go up and say hello to IO, as a family. like we are.

I am sure IO will tell us to go away and pound sand. but atleast IO will have atleast 1% confidence that our marriage is real. BUT i also know this can go both ways, some IO are so negative in assuming, that IO will think we trying to stage our situation. i am open to all outcomes. lets see....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.