Angela256z

Pending I-130 | Preparing UK Husband for US visit

6 posts in this topic

My husband and I are still waiting on his I-130. Since the big delay with NBC we have decided to putting off me going there until his interview. Instead we are going to have him come to the US to visit me for six weeks since I can't take time off twice. Should he be prepared any differently when he arrives at the officer checking his passport? It will again just to visit family and friends. He will be returning home and will have his return ticket. He still has a current ESTA.

So basically all is the same as his other three visits just now we have a pending I-130.

Edited by Angela256z

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

I would only advise that he bring very strong ties. It is different with him coming into the US, rather than you trying to get into the UK.. He is eventually wanting to live permanently in the country, so a customs officer might see his visit as him assuming your visa will be approved while he is there. That could be an issue. Have his employer write a letter stating he will be returning to work, as proof of ties. You might also think to show the NOA1, so that he can show he is trying to enter the country, but is taking the necessary steps to do so in a legal manner.

Met in 2006 through a pen pal website for school-aged kids when we were 15!
Kept in touch a bit for 4.5 years
02-2011 -Started talking about how to make a relationship work
06-06-2011- Met in Chicago and became a couple, finally!
07-18-2011- I flew back with him to England to meet his family
11-23-2011- He stays with my family and me for three months!
05-16-2012- I flew to England to be with him for a month.
07-15-2012- He flies back to me for another 3 months
12-17-2012- I fly over to England to be with him for 5 months
04-05-2013- We took a trip to Rome, and he asks me to marry him in St. Peter's Square!!!
04-25-2013- I-129F Sent to Dallas Lockbox
05-09-2013- He comes back to visit me for nearly 2 months
07-03-2013- I go back ONE last time, while our I-129F is processing
07-17-2013- Our petition is approved only 79 days later!! kicking.gif
07-25-2013- I fly home, and we are now apart for an indefinite amount of time. cray5ol.gif
08-09-2013- Packet 3 received
08-13-2013- Packet 3 sent back
08-15-2013- Medical Exam
09-24-2013- Jake's mom flies me to England by surprise AND short notice
09-26-2013- Packet 4 Arrives
10-02-2013- Interview- Approved!! dancin5hr.gif
10-11-2013- Visa arrives
11-04-2013- POE Chicago O'Hare
11-27-2013- Wedding day!!!
01-25-2014- Filed AOS

02-25-2014- Biometrics Appointment

I came over to the US several times whilst waiting on a K1. Never had any issues at all, I did not really think about it. I was asked once "are you visiting your fiancee". I just said yes, that was it. So they knew i had a petition pending without my mentioning it.

Ok Great to know. I just didn't know if I should prepare him with more info or anything.

I would only advise that he bring very strong ties. It is different with him coming into the US, rather than you trying to get into the UK.. He is eventually wanting to live permanently in the country, so a customs officer might see his visit as him assuming your visa will be approved while he is there. That could be an issue. Have his employer write a letter stating he will be returning to work, as proof of ties. You might also think to show the NOA1, so that he can show he is trying to enter the country, but is taking the necessary steps to do so in a legal manner.

Thank you. He works for his dads company so I will get him to write him a letter just in case he is asked about it.

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

I visited 4 times after the petition went in, the last time was while waiting for an interview date. Had NO issues, at POE Newark, Houston or Dallas. No one seemed to know that there was a Petition in for me, i was not asked any leading questions about who I was visiting.

Check out this long running thread about visiting the US whilst going through the immigration process (it is under the K1 area but is still relevant to I-130):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

And here is a checklist of things to show their ties to the UK:

http://www.visajourn...content/k1visit

Most trips to the US go without a hitch but it is best to be prepared - people have been denied entry to the US because they could not demonstrate that they had to go back to the UK (i.e. it looked like they had immediate immigrant intent).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.