ilovemilk

Just submitted N400, going abroad to work. Is it OK?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I have been married to the same US citizen for 6 years, and have been a permanent resident for over 5 years. I received a job offer from a large US company to work in Singapore. It's not a temporary assignment, but it was a very good offer so I accepted it.

I didn't want to worry about my green card taken away, so I filed N400 for naturalization a week ago. I just received receipt confirmation email. I plan to leave the US in 17 days, while my husband will stay in our house for a few more months (time undecided yet) before joining me in Singapore. We will still keep our house and bank accounts here in the US.

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to work abroad after filing N400? I plan to fly back for interview and oath. Will it be ok?

2. I would love to have the bio-metrics done before leaving, so it saves me 1 trip back. Is there anyway I can contact USCIS office and ask if I can? I don't know if it's a good idea to let them know I will be working abroad soon, but maybe they will know anyway? I would like to be honest to USCIS about my situation. But I don't know if working abroad permanently makes my case easy to be rejected.

Anyone has been in the similar situation? How should I handle it? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

Hello,

I have been married to the same US citizen for 6 years, and have been a permanent resident for over 5 years. I received a job offer from a large US company to work in Singapore. It's not a temporary assignment, but it was a very good offer so I accepted it.

I didn't want to worry about my green card taken away, so I filed N400 for naturalization a week ago. I just received receipt confirmation email. I plan to leave the US in 17 days, while my husband will stay in our house for a few more months (time undecided yet) before joining me in Singapore. We will still keep our house and bank accounts here in the US.

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to work abroad after filing N400? I plan to fly back for interview and oath. Will it be ok?

2. I would love to have the bio-metrics done before leaving, so it saves me 1 trip back. Is there anyway I can contact USCIS office and ask if I can? I don't know if it's a good idea to let them know I will be working abroad soon, but maybe they will know anyway? I would like to be honest to USCIS about my situation. But I don't know if working abroad permanently makes my case easy to be rejected.

Anyone has been in the similar situation? How should I handle it? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

I think you should get your biometric appointment letter in a week or 2, as soon as you get the letter take the letter and your itinerary go to the application support center and ask them to do a walk-in appointment. Once you get through the biometrics you can travel. When your husband receives your interview/test letter, come back for the interview/test. Once you pass it, explain that you are working abroad and if they can accommodate you for a quick oath (some people got oath same day, some within a week).

Good luck!

Thank you so much windy! So during the interview, should I be honest with them and tell them I work abroad if I am asked? I heard that some may be asked to prove they will come back. I thought I could say I have a house here and my husband is a citizen, so of course I will come back. Will it work? Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

im on the same boat, working for US state department since March out of country in Brazil, my interview is on Oct 22 and i will tell the truth. Im married to US citizen and i haven't been out of US more then 1 year. So i already purchase my ticket to go for interview. So wish us luck :)

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

I am agree with Windy. Just tell them truth and show them financial and house documents. So by that u can prove that u will b e back.

IR-5 for Parents

02-28-14 -> I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.
03-03-14 -> USCIS received. (Priority Date)
03-09-14 -> NOA1 received.
06-04-14 -> NOA2 received. Approved.
06-18-14 -> NVC Received case.
07-03-14 -> NVC Assigned Case#(Got Case# & IIN Over the Phone).
07-22-14 -> DS-261 Completed.
07-25-14 -> AOS fee Payment.
07-29-14 -> AOS fee shows PAID.
07-30-14 -> AOS Package Sent.
07-31-14 -> AOS Package delivered.
09-15-14 -> IV fee Payment.

09-17-14 -> IV fee Shows PAID.

09-18-14 -> IV Package Sent.
09-20-14 -> IV Package Delivered.

10-20-14 -> Case Complete.

10-28-14 -> Case Complete Email Received.

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I think is OK, as long as you make it to the bio appointment, the interview and the oath.

Let's say that you make it to the inteview and oath.

The moment you take the oath, your Green Card is taken away from you, even though you have a certificate, you are greencard-less.

You would need to apply for a passport and wait or you could go with a airplane ticket on hand to your nearest passport office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.