XXoverwhelmedXX

Not living together, will it cause a problem?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Ok so on the I 130 app they ask if we lived together...we didn't because of culture. They don't want people living together there if they didn't actually do a wedding or a ceremony even tho they're legally married so how should I answer this question?

Is anybody in the same situation?

I'm planning to explain why we haven't lived with each other is that a bad or good idea?

Its been a year since submitting I-130 and were still in two different countries :sleepy:

Filed: Other Timeline

Where do you live now? And where is your spouse? Just explain more please.

Where would your interview take place? If your interview will be in your country of origin then im sure they know of this culture and they wouldnt be surprised. However, since you are married, they expect you to be together under the same roof unless there is a reasonable reason like working in different cities or something like that.

I would say, they will also ask for wedding pictures. Do you have any? If the wedding is so private and you guys are not living together then they might suspect fraud ( wedding for the sake of GC). Good luck

11/16/2013 - AOS Package sent via UPS ground shipping (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765)
11/20/2013 (DAY01) Package delivered to Chicago and signed by CHYBA
11/26/2013 (DAY06) NOA Text messages and emails received

12/05/2013 (DAY16) Biometrics letter recieved for 12-19-2013

12/09/2013 (DAY20) Biometrics done in Buffalo (early walk in)

12/18/2013 (DAY29) I-485 status changed to testing and interview

01/06/2014 (DAY 48)- Interview notice for February 10

01/24/2014 ( DAY 66)- EAD AND AP approved

01/30/2014 ( Day 72)- EAD combo card arrived

02/10/2014 (Day 83) Interview date : APPROVED on the spot!! Passport stamped and card production ordered.

February 18 : GC received. Free until November 2016

Timeline

We'll I'm in the USA he's in Iraq. I went there at the beginning of August n got married at the end of August. I went to his house for visits but we didn't technically live together yet cuz Obvoiusly I'm in the USA now.... I have only two pictures. I wanna have my wedding in the USA with my family ... So what do I do now?

Its been a year since submitting I-130 and were still in two different countries :sleepy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok so on the I 130 app they ask if we lived together...we didn't because of culture. They don't want people living together there if they didn't actually do a wedding or a ceremony even tho they're legally married so how should I answer this question?

Is anybody in the same situation?

I'm planning to explain why we haven't lived with each other is that a bad or good idea?

Living together is not required or even expected. Visiting spending time together is required. They know most of us live apart thus the reason for all this petitioning. It will not create any issue nor do you have to explain your culture to the CO or write an explanation.

Showing you have a bonafide relationship is what you do and many do it with great success without every living with one another. face time is the most powerful evidence you have in your arsenal.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Ok so not living together at the moment is not a problem...in my situation we have NEvER lived together... I don't know if you guys understood my question or I'm just over analyzing this :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Your over-analyzing this.... Practically EVERYONE here lives apart from their spouse... That is why they are petitioning the government to bring their spouse over.... So they can live together... The certainly do not expect that everyone gives up their jobs to go live with their spouses while they wait... Nothing to do with cultural issues, but just with practicality.. Don't worry!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

There is no requirement to live together.

What you should be researching is how your husband's consulate will view it; what the cultural norms are for his country. If you haven't gone against what is traditionally acceptable is his country it shouldn't be an issue. If you have then you will need to figure out how to overcome it.

Knowledge is power in this process .

you may prove ur bonafide relationship in many ways. your visit to ur spouse is one ( you may cite your stay period even u didn't really lived together), pictures, converstions, phone calls,legal papers declaring that ur married couples etc.

Timeline

you may prove ur bonafide relationship in many ways. your visit to ur spouse is one ( you may cite your stay period even u didn't really lived together), pictures, converstions, phone calls,legal papers declaring that ur married couples etc.

Do you think they'll ask for conversation, phone calls, ect. before the NOa2 or after? Should I just put a couple of emails or texts with the application before I send it?

I have airline tickets and marraige cert...

Do you think they'll ask for conversation, phone calls, ect. before the NOa2 or after? Should I just put a couple of emails or texts with the application before I send it?

yes do it before NOA2. You need to send bona fide marriage evidence with the I-130. You are coming from a MENA country (Middle East North Africa) and will be highly scrutinized at all stages. It's important to put as much evidence as possible at each stage and to bring more to the interview. They do understand that you haven't lived together yet, that's not a problem, but you need to show that you've visited, talk regularly, and communicate.

Read this wiki link at the bottom for an idea of items you can send:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

why not include that stuff in the I-130 submittal, instead ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

you have to provide as much evidence as u can to prove your relationship.In my case, We submitted all the proof with the I-130...until now we are still waiting for approval. We haven't received any RFE up to this point .(hopefully we won't anymore.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.