CaizLurol

Affidavit of support... letter of employment?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

On the travel.state.gov site, it says:

• Evidence of financial support (e.g. Affidavit of Support, a notarized offer of employment, or evidence of assets)

Is the notarized offer of employment for people already in the country? If I am filing for an IR-1/CR-1 for my spouse who lives out of the country, could a company here in the US still offer him a job and may this offer of employment letter be used in the affidavit of support?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

On the travel.state.gov site, it says:

• Evidence of financial support (e.g. Affidavit of Support, a notarized offer of employment, or evidence of assets)

Is the notarized offer of employment for people already in the country? If I am filing for an IR-1/CR-1 for my spouse who lives out of the country, could a company here in the US still offer him a job and may this offer of employment letter be used in the affidavit of support?

Thanks

The Affidavit of Support is for the sponsor of the beneficiary (which is usually the petitioner). You (the petitioner) would have to declare your assets and income and fill out your information on the I-864 in order to sponsor your spouse (the beneficiary). If you are unable to declare enough assets and income to support your spouse and rest of your dependents (if any) at 125% of the federal poverty line, then you will need a cosponsor to file the Affidavit of Support with you. You can see the Federal Poverty Line in form I-864P.

The beneficiary's assets and employment is not taken into consideration for the Affidavit of Support as they are neither a US Resident, nor a Citizen.

The Affidavit of Support is something you submit after the I-130 has been cleared through the USCIS and your case is at the NVC. I would suggest using one of the many guides on this site to help you through the many stages of this process. I personally like this one the most: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_bring_your_foreign_spouse_to_live_in_the_US#TRACK_1_-_I-864

Hope this helps!

Spoiler

5994d2f5ec3b4_OurStory.jpg.4a7b1c95cdc55c357b8ae1d0d480a5f8.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.