belenday

Difficulty getting information in time for interview / visa approval window

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We could use some good ideas. After 7 long months our I-129 was approved, then moved through NCS. We just got packet 3 from the Montreal Consulate (12/09/2006) and got an actual rather than a hypothetical verbal one. Since my fiance is from China, it is next to impossible to get the official birth certificate and police records that is being requested - let alone in a couple weeks. Since she has to be in the US by 3/1/07 for our Visa, it seems we need to have all the DS230 and completed checklist sent back to the consulate before the end of the year.

Does anyone have any experience of what we can do? :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
We could use some good ideas. After 7 long months our I-129 was approved, then moved through NCS. We just got packet 3 from the Montreal Consulate (12/09/2006) and got an actual rather than a hypothetical verbal one. Since my fiance is from China, it is next to impossible to get the official birth certificate and police records that is being requested - let alone in a couple weeks. Since she has to be in the US by 3/1/07 for our Visa, it seems we need to have all the DS230 and completed checklist sent back to the consulate before the end of the year.

Does anyone have any experience of what we can do? :help:

Belenday,

I don't understand why she has to be here by March 1, 2007. She has not had the Interview or received the Visa to come th the USA, correct? I think the March 1, 2007 date may be the expiration date on the NOA2, yes or no? If so, this is not the date that she must be in the USA. You'll need to clarify that for us to better understand.

You can always postpone and change the Interview date after notifying the Consulate. In fact, you did not state that you even have an Interview date scheduled. You need more time, so a rescheduling of the Interview would be appropriate for you. Again, I do not understand the March 1, 2007 date. Maybe a better explanation of the situation would help other members provide a more sound solution for you.

Good luck to you both.

JoeyJoey

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

After 7 long months our I-129 was approved, then moved through NCS. Since my fiance is from China, it is next to impossible to get the official birth certificate and police records that is being requested - let alone in a couple weeks.

We can only assume you have not looked at the examples and guidelines for the required forms or you would not have waited 7 month for the packet 3 to tell you what you needed. I do not think China is any slower than any other third world country in obtaining documents. Like the last repsponse, where does the 1 Mar 07 date come from? Her interview will be in China not in US/Canada. She will only be in US/Canada after she is approved for the K1.

I think reading the guidelines and example forms may clear some things up for you. Good luck, Payato

Edited by Ken_Maria

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As far as birth certificates are concerned they are not critical - so if you can get the police clearance you may still be OK. I base it on the fact that I do not have a birth certificate and the US consulate has mechanism for other proof - in my case two relatives swore in front of a judge that they knew me and my date of birth (I had to submit those as proof of my birth for an immigrant visa (green card) to USA - this was in India.) So check out the documents that can be substitutes for the birth certificate on the USCIS website and do not worry about that one - the police clearance hopefully doesn't take that long. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To answer some questions regarding why March 1st is an important date, on the face of the approval notice it states it is only valid from 10/31/2006 to 3/1/2007. I also made an Info Pass appointment for my local USCIS office on 11/3/2006. During the appointment, the immigration officer specifically stated that this approval requires that she enter the US by 3/1/2007 or we have to start over with a new I129. They could not tell me any of the requirements until after she arrives in the US as it is handled by a different government agency.

When I called the NVC, they said Montreal would have to communicate the specific requirements. When I called the Montreal Consulate for the specific requirements a month ago they would only tell me the DS230. They would not tell me any other documents and said we had to wait to find out. They would not even say I could reference any policy on guidelines online other than to go to the USCIS website. When I searched the State Department online, I got conflicting requirements. So now that we have the letter, we found out. According to the letter, she needs documents from both Canada and China and yet she has lived and worked in Canada for several years. China does not issue that type of document and the state department does not give document waivers for China.

Since it takes over a year and a lot of work to get a travel visa for relatives in China, it seems the best option is to try to get her parents to write a letter stating her birth date, location, and parents. Then try to have it notarized and wish big that it can arrive in time. (Thanks motu!)

Sorry, but hypothetical examples that may or may not have been helpful in hind sight aren't exactly helpful right now. Any other ideas?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
To answer some questions regarding why March 1st is an important date, on the face of the approval notice it states it is only valid from 10/31/2006 to 3/1/2007. I also made an Info Pass appointment for my local USCIS office on 11/3/2006. During the appointment, the immigration officer specifically stated that this approval requires that she enter the US by 3/1/2007 or we have to start over with a new I129. They could not tell me any of the requirements until after she arrives in the US as it is handled by a different government agency.

When I called the NVC, they said Montreal would have to communicate the specific requirements. When I called the Montreal Consulate for the specific requirements a month ago they would only tell me the DS230. They would not tell me any other documents and said we had to wait to find out. They would not even say I could reference any policy on guidelines online other than to go to the USCIS website. When I searched the State Department online, I got conflicting requirements. So now that we have the letter, we found out. According to the letter, she needs documents from both Canada and China and yet she has lived and worked in Canada for several years. China does not issue that type of document and the state department does not give document waivers for China.

Since it takes over a year and a lot of work to get a travel visa for relatives in China, it seems the best option is to try to get her parents to write a letter stating her birth date, location, and parents. Then try to have it notarized and wish big that it can arrive in time. (Thanks motu!)

Sorry, but hypothetical examples that may or may not have been helpful in hind sight aren't exactly helpful right now. Any other ideas?

Ok, March 1, 2007 is the expiration date of the NOA2. Your Packet #3 information needs to be returned to the Consulate before that date. But depending on when the Interview occurs, she may or may not enter the US by that date and that is not a problem. Sometimes that actual Interview date is after the expiration of the NOA2 or the Interview is so close to NOA2 expiration that there is no way forr a person to enter the US by that date. However, it is not a problem if the Consulate is slow. It is only a problem if YOU do not get all the Packet #3 docs returned by that date!

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.