Shanny

weird topic but: bringing christmas gifts to canada

30 posts in this topic

I wrapped all of our gifts before flying to Vancouver last year and didn't have any problems in Nashville or Vancouver.

My aunt visits from Spokane each year and always pre-cuts the paper for each gift to the right size and has the tags pre-written. She carries the bows and ribbons in a box. It doesn't take long for her to put things together once she arrives. :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

well, the box is all packed and taped up but it is still sitting on our floor...

I was going to mail it off yesterday after hubby came home from work but he got home a bit later then usual and was too tired and I didn't feel like going out....

hubby says he will pick me up after work today to go mail it off but now I really doubt it will get there before Christmas.... my own fault, I guess... :whistle:

I hate not having my own car....:P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
well, the box is all packed and taped up but it is still sitting on our floor...

I was going to mail it off yesterday after hubby came home from work but he got home a bit later then usual and was too tired and I didn't feel like going out....

hubby says he will pick me up after work today to go mail it off but now I really doubt it will get there before Christmas.... my own fault, I guess... :whistle:

I hate not having my own car....:P

Marilyn,

:) I was watching American TV in preparation of my upcoming departure to the US (ha ha!! wouldn't that be funny!!).. but I do remember a US Postal Service commercial where they were saying they would pick up parcels at residences. I assume you'd have to go to their website and pre-pay the postage, but I know i saw the ad!! (and it's not like Canada Post to do anything so progressive ).. Anyway just a thought!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

well, we finally sent off the package....

we ended up sending it UPS because the regular post office was closed by the time hubby got home from work....

it ended up costing about 45 bucks to send :o by regular ground post.... I figured it out online and it came to about 30 dollars, so I am not sure where the extra 15 came from :huh: ...

they said it would take about a week to get there... here's hoping...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
well, we finally sent off the package....

we ended up sending it UPS because the regular post office was closed by the time hubby got home from work....

it ended up costing about 45 bucks to send :o by regular ground post.... I figured it out online and it came to about 30 dollars, so I am not sure where the extra 15 came from :huh: ...

they said it would take about a week to get there... here's hoping...

after we left the UPS place we realized the guy didn't give us any kind of paperwork with a tracking number etc... all my hubby got was a receipt saying he paid :blink: so we went back and I asked the guy if we could get a tracking number ... all he did was print me up a label with the tracking number on it and told me that the other smaller packet I mailed off didn't have a tracking number... :blink: so how am I supposed to know if that smaller package gets there and if it doesn't I have no way to follow up and find out what happened to it.... :blink:

I was just sitting here thinking that it is kind of odd that we didn't get any kind of paperwork....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

That's just wrong. If it has a UPS label on it, it has a tracking number. Were they both going to the same place? If so, then it should be the same tracking number, and will show up at Box 1 of 2 and Box 2 of 2. If they're going to different places, the UPS guy is stupid, and should have a tracking number for it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
That's just wrong. If it has a UPS label on it, it has a tracking number. Were they both going to the same place? If so, then it should be the same tracking number, and will show up at Box 1 of 2 and Box 2 of 2. If they're going to different places, the UPS guy is stupid, and should have a tracking number for it.

they both were going to different places.... :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Check the receipt.. I dont usually ship UPS, but FedEx puts the tracking numbers right ont he receipt...

the receipt was just one of those you get from a cash register ..... no tracking number on it...

i have shipped parcels/boxes before and I always get a paper with the tracking number on it... I should have said something but I was still in shock about how much it cost and I just didn't think of it.... :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

well, the one package that I had a tracking number arrived in Canada this morning...

my brother said that customs went though the box... they put a sticker on the box saying so.... so the box is probably a mess right now... I hope they didn't tear open the presents that I wrapped.... :unsure:

I don't know why I should bother making sure I pack the box up all nice to make sure nothing moves etc... if they are just going to look through the box and not put things back the same way :angry:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

just letting you all know that we had no problem at all.

i decided to chance it and wrap all the gifts.

the border officer didn't say a thing about it.

all he wanted to know was how much money we had in gifts and what was the most expensive gift.

he didn't say a word about them being wrapped up.

:)

our timeline:

I-130:

sent 3/30/2006

noa1 4/6/2006

touched 4/8/2006

APPROVED!!! - noa2 7/10/2006

I-129F:

sent 4/25/2006

noa1 5/2/2006

touched 5/13/2006

touched 7/3/2006 - IMBRA RFE

APPROVED!!! - noa2 7/31/2006

received package 3 - 8/31/2006

faxed package 3 to vancouver - 9/5/2006

received package 4 - 9/12/2006 with an interview date of 9/25/2006

called for a specific interview date and got it!

INTERVIEW!!!!! - 10/16/2006

GOT K-3 VISA - 10/16/2006

WOOT DEE WOOT!

EAD:

sent 11/3/2006

noa1 11/13/2006

biometrics appt 11/28/2006

touched 11/29/2006

touched 11/30/2006

touched 1/20/2007

touched 1/23/2007

touched 1/24/2007

approved 2/12/2007

card received 2/17/2007

SSN:

applied 2/20/2007

card received 3/5/2007

AOS:

sent 04/08/2008

check cashed 04/17/2008

noa1 04/19/2008

biometrics appt 05/02/2008

case status appears online 05/02/2008

touched 05/05/2008

touched 05/06/2008

touched 05/16/2008

received interview letter 06/20/2008

interview 09/04/2008 - APPROVED!!!

card received 09/29/2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

An update here too . . . we sent two large boxes to two different addresses in Canada (the 19 1/2 lb one cost $35.05 to send, the 10 lb 8 oz one cost $24.60) via US Post Office using priority post. We mailed them December 8 and both were received, without incident and without brokerage fees required or anything like that, on December 13. We were told 4 to 6 days and it was 5 days. The presents inside were wrapped and the custom forms filled out on the front. The boxes were not opened or inspected by customs. I have used USPS a number of times to deliver parcels and have always been satisfied with the service.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Myself as well Kathryn. we've always sent our Christmas boxes through USPS using Global Priority or Priority Post and everything has gotten to Canada on time and intact. we sent five boxes to three different locations this year and they all arrived when promised. No complaints from us! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.