shikarnov

MIL Freaking Out - Tourist Visa Employment Check

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

After many false starts, we're hoping to get my MIL here for Thanksgiving -- to celebrate the holiday and meet her first grand child.

We're most of the way through her visa process, but she's afraid to provide us with information about her work. The reason: it's under the table, and she's concerned about getting people in trouble.

They're willing to put her on the books officially, but only back-logged for a few months (she's been with the company for five years) and only for a salary of $200 per month (although she really makes closer to $200 per week).

So she's not sure -- and neither am I -- which will be better.

On the one hand, a new job with a small salary isn't going to win any points at the embassy.

On the other hand, if the embassy starts poking around trying to verify her unofficial employment, the company won't vouch for her. Plus she's concerned it might trigger an investigation into the company's dealings by the Russian government.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Z

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

oi ####### I just re read and saw this was for the beneficiary??

income of no importance, they will not verify

Edited by stevie b

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Everything that I've seen before says, that unless there is a compelling reason that the person applying for a tourist visa should return to their home country, the visa will be denied. Generally this has been work related, but also having property is an indication that the person intends to return. I think you should encourage your mother in law to obtain a letter from her employer that she is an integral part of the business and that the employer is reluctantly allowing her to be gone for a time.good.gif

Timeline

Well, she has property, a husband, and a son (although he is an adult) who will be remaining in Russia. So I'm hoping that will factor into their decision.

As for the letter -- I'll advise her to do that, in order to bring it to the interview with her, but this initial application process is being done entirely online. And before any interview is granted, they want to know the employment details. It's part of the online form.

:-/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The establishment of ties to the country is all very shaky. ANY job does little to guarantee someone will return unless it is an absolutely fantastic job. In the US, $200 a week is less than minimum wage. I wouldn't worry too much about the job. Just be honest and provide as little info as possible. It's unlikely to really be a deciding factor.

The one thing I always say when these types of threads come up is that a past history of international travel is a fairly good indicator of success.

Timeline

Thanks everybody for your time and attention. Still not sure what to do, precisely, but I guess we'll wing it and see what happens.

(PS: I really hate this visa process -- the arrogance of assuming that everybody wants to stay here is staggering and insulting. My MIL has zero interest in living in the oh-so-wonderful US of A, and is only even willing to visit because we're family).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

- the arrogance of assuming that everybody wants to stay here is staggering and insulting.

This is mandated in 9FAM and US LAW.

So, you can forget the 'arrogance' portion - the base assumption of 'intending immigrant' is mandated by law. It's on the tourist visa applicant to overcome that, during the interview.

The Vice-Consul is mandated, by law, to start with this base assumption, first and foremost.

Who to thank, for this? All of the folk who came into the USA on a tourist visa, and overstayed. It's them you should be chasing, in the USA. Refocus yer energies a bit, help out ICE at least once a week. You'll feel better, I SWEAR !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

oi ####### I just re read and saw this was for the beneficiary??

income of no importance, they will not verify

He is speaking about a tourist visa. Try to read before answering. They very well MAy check with the employer

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks everybody for your time and attention. Still not sure what to do, precisely, but I guess we'll wing it and see what happens.

(PS: I really hate this visa process -- the arrogance of assuming that everybody wants to stay here is staggering and insulting. My MIL has zero interest in living in the oh-so-wonderful US of A, and is only even willing to visit because we're family).

NO ONE in Ukraine is going to get in any trouble. The USA could not possibly care less if your MIL works under the table or not. They MAY contact her employer to verify her employment but I doubt it.

Most likely she will be rejected without reviewing her information. Employment in Ukraine means pretty much nothing for a tourist visa. Pay scales are so low that an attorney in Ukraine can usually make more as a dishwasher in the USA so a job is of little "compelling reason" to return, especially when she has a daughter and grandchild in the USA

Bottom line? She has little chance to get a tourist visa and NO chance of getting in trouble in Ukraine.

Best chance to get a visa...have her apply for a Shengen visa, visit an EU country for a few days (Poland will do) and THEN apply for a US tourist visa.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I don't know how it goes in Kiev, but my husband received a much higher salary under the table, in the books, it was much lower.... no one cared. They only asked about his previous travels to Europe.

Our daughter in law to be was attending MIPT with a full scholarship for a MS degree and was denied without ever reviewing her evidence. She was aksed ONLY "have you ever traveled outside of of the Former Soviet Union?" answer NO. Denied. She got a shengen visa with no diffuclty, went to Germany and Spain for a few days each. Applied again, was asked the SAME question and was approved.

Alla applied for a visa prior to meeting me in order to attend an exhibition as an interpreter for her employer. The consulate called her employer. They verified Alla worked for them. They were told to hire an interpreter in NYC. Denied.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla got her Mom approved for an IR-5 immigrant visa and now she won't come!rofl.gif

I think some of it is not so much the idea that they want to live in the USA but that they want to live ANYWHERE except the FSU. Probably equally as arrogant

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I really hate this visa process -- the arrogance of assuming that everybody wants to stay here is staggering and insulting. My MIL has zero interest in living in the oh-so-wonderful US of A, and is only even willing to visit because we're family

MIL of my cousin constantly tells them to move to Russia and live there. She did get a US visa and has visited them here a few times, and every time she comes all she does is complain about how horrible everything is here and how great it is in Russia.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You don't have a lot to lose. It isn't that expensive and when we applied for my MIL it was approved without any problems. Once you get the first one behind you it is a piece of cake. My MIL has been here 3 times.

MIL of my cousin constantly tells them to move to Russia and live there. She did get a US visa and has visited them here a few times, and every time she comes all she does is complain about how horrible everything is here and how great it is in Russia.

She is probably a natural born grouch. If she lived here and visited there she would be likely talking about how great it is here and how terrible there. Some people live to complain. I have seen lots of cases where someone moves here and complains then goes back and realizes how much better it really is here. I like Russia but can't say my list of what is better there would be very long between the weather, the corruption, and lots more.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
shikarnov

any news?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.