odain&Jodene

Co-Sponser at embassy interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just a question in advance in regards to the visa interview at the embassy. What is the minimum income requirements to file for your fiance via k1 visa? Is it based on income alone or income and assets? and also if you do not meet the requirements do you have to have a co-sponser? And what form do you need in regards to the co-sponser.

(Note: I am aware of that a co sponsor can be used when filing for the adjustment of status using form i-864)

Please reply i am just a bit curious and i just want to be sure about things.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just a question in advance in regards to the visa interview at the embassy. What is the minimum income requirements to file for your fiance via k1 visa? Is it based on income alone or income and assets? and also if you do not meet the requirements do you have to have a co-sponser? And what form do you need in regards to the co-sponser.

(Note: I am aware of that a co sponsor can be used when filing for the adjustment of status using form i-864)

Please reply i am just a bit curious and i just want to be sure about things.

I-134 is used for K-1. Co-sponsors use the same form.

JA is funny acting when it comes to income. They look at last year's income, so make sure you filed your taxes, and have either a copy of your taxes or tax transcript for the past two years. JA does not count unemployment or child support as income. You do not need to include assets if you make enough income.

Also, if you are self-employed make sure you have everything to prove you meet the income guidelines. They look at certain info on your taxes to see if after your tax deductions, you meet income guidelines.

If JA says you have to have a co-sponsor, they will deny your petition under 221g, if you do not have one.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

JA is funny acting when it comes to income. They look at last year's income, so make sure you filed your taxes, and have either a copy of your taxes or tax transcript for the past two years. JA does not count unemployment or child support as income. You do not need to include assets if you make enough income.

Also, if you are self-employed make sure you have everything to prove you meet the income guidelines. They look at certain info on your taxes to see if after your tax deductions, you meet income guidelines.

If JA says you have to have a co-sponsor, they will deny your petition under 221g, if you do not have one.

For income requirements , do you have to meet 100% of the poverty level or 125%?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Actually i was going to use my child support with my income and if you look on the instructions for form I864 it shows that you are able to include child support as part of your income. But it has to be court ordered. Mine is in my divorce decree showing how much i get. My fiance has my original divorce decree to use at the interview.

Here is the link

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Look at part 6 under sponsor income and employment./ current individual annual income.

Timeline

Actually i was going to use my child support with my income and if you look on the instructions for form I864 it shows that you are able to include child support as part of your income. But it has to be court ordered. Mine is in my divorce decree showing how much i get. My fiance has my original divorce decree to use at the interview.

Here is the link

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Look at part 6 under sponsor income and employment./ current individual annual income.

I have also read other post to where they had their interview in JA and was able to use Child support and they got their visa approved.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Caribbean Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I have also read other post to where they had their interview in JA and was able to use Child support and they got their visa approved.

What posts?

JA does not accept child support as income, they state it is too inconsistent. They will request a co-sponsor.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Timeline

What posts?

JA does not accept child support as income, they state it is too inconsistent. They will request a co-sponsor.

It was quoted on a couple different visa forums i read and also it states that on the I864. It does not make any since for them to use the form I864 for the k 1 and then not allow child support when it is clearly state in the instruction that you can use it. I already emailed kingston to verify that but from the other post i was reading from different places and people said they got there visa after showing child support as part of their income i'm not worried . But like i said it clearly state you can use it in the instructions. Why wouldn't they use it if the instructions says it can be used. Doesnt make since to me.

Timeline

Also my child support has always come the same time and is always the same ( for the last 2 years it has never changed). Also it is in my divorce decree as well stating what i'm getting. I will find the post and post it here. There was more than one person saying they got approved in jamaican when they used it as part of there income.

It was quoted on a couple different visa forums i read and also it states that on the I864. It does not make any since for them to use the form I864 for the k 1 and then not allow child support when it is clearly state in the instruction that you can use it. I already emailed kingston to verify that but from the other post i was reading from different places and people said they got there visa after showing child support as part of their income i'm not worried . But like i said it clearly state you can use it in the instructions. Why wouldn't they use it if the instructions says it can be used. Doesnt make since to me.

Also my child support has always come the same time and is always the same ( for the last 2 years it has never changed). Also it is in my divorce decree as well stating what i'm getting. I will find the post and post it here. There was more than one person saying they got approved in jamaica when they used it as part of there income.

Edited by micahmoos

Timeline

Were they JA people whose posts you read?

You file a I-134 for K-1 visa, not I-864. You only use I-864P for income guidelines. You have to prove beneficiary will not be a public charge. IO makes that decision based on what is provided.

I-864 is for AOS when he adjusts after marriage.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.