apricot

kids and citizenship

14 posts in this topic

I became a citizen earlier this year and my two kids (teenagers) received their green cards recently. What is the process for them to become citizens? Is it automatic or do we need to apply?

Thanks!

It's not so much the miles we have travelled as the journey we have taken.

Hummingbird Hearts: An online community for transplanted ladies who have left their countries to join their partners or significant others with whom they have been in a long distance relationship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think anything happens when a parent naturalizes, I just researched a bit on this and didn't find anything useful. I believe they will have to file when they turn 18.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't think anything happens when a parent naturalizes, I just researched a bit on this and didn't find anything useful. I believe they will have to file when they turn 18.
This is just false.

Look at the law below:

http://www.schulzlaw.com/mschulz_citz.php

Derivation of US Citizenship as a Minor through Naturalization of One or Both Parents

Derivation means that the minor automatically becomes a citizen when the parent or parents naturalize. There is no requirement for the minor to apply to the USCIS for citizenship, instead the minor can apply directly for a US passport.

After February 27, 2001:

The child must be unmarried;

The child must be under 18;

The child must have at least one US citizen parent (by birth or naturalization);

The child must be currently residing permanently in the US in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent

The child must be a lawful permanent resident of the US; and

If adopted, the child must satisfy the requirements applicable to adopted children under US immigration law.

The child can still do an N-600 to get his or her certificate if they please.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't say it was the gospel truth! I just researched, found one website that said no, kept looking, and didn't find anything.

That's good news though :)

Edited by riblet

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Thank you so much for your help - Riblet, for going to the trouble to do a little research and Satellite to you for giving me the information. THANK you!

Satellite - love your avatar! I'm South African so miss the wildlife...

It's not so much the miles we have travelled as the journey we have taken.

Hummingbird Hearts: An online community for transplanted ladies who have left their countries to join their partners or significant others with whom they have been in a long distance relationship.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

As Satellite stated, as long as both children are unmarried and under the age of 18 at the time you naturalize, they will derive US Citizenshipo from you. They will be able to file for a passport. FOr evidence of their Citizenship, you would need to file a N-600 for each of them..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

so if my father was naturalized before i was born, and was living in canada when i was born, then i have absolutely no way to use my father's citizenship as a way to help me get my dual citizenship, correct?

K1 visa

K1 Visa process took about 1 year, got married on January 13, 2006.

Got my green card on October 5, 2006.

Removal of Conditions

September 15, 2008: I-751 package sent

November 1, 2008: Received NOA

Januar 13, 2009: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo

May 2009: Notice of case transfered to California

August 3, 2009: received RFE letter; sent in evidence 2 weeks later, USCIS confirmed reception

March 03, 2010: Filed form DHS-7001 with CIS Ombudsman, and contacted my local Congresswoman to try to get my case pushed through.

June 5, 2010: Letter from CIS Ombudsman telling me USCIS is not ready for a decision yet. They didn't give me a timeline for when to expect a decision... this is getting worst...

August 2, 2010: Infopass appointment for I-155 stamp in my passport. Agent who helped me is going to get my file from California and process it himself!

August 10, 2010: Email from my Congresswoman's office, USCIS still not ready for a decision, told to wait another 90 days. And email from agent at local office telling me that his request to get my file was denied by California...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You can either file an N-600, which will give the kids a "Certificate of Citizenship", or whatever it's called, which may be something they will need later in life, who knows. But you can apply for passports for them now.

I simpy applied for a passport for my daughter, which only took a couple of weeks for them to get to her. Much faster than anything the USCIS has ever done for us!!! I didn't see the need for a "Certificate of Citizenship" right now. How many "Americans" do you know with one of those - she can always show her passport to prove she is a USC.

Oh, and it was a lot cheaper!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline
You can either file an N-600, which will give the kids a "Certificate of Citizenship", or whatever it's called, which may be something they will need later in life, who knows. But you can apply for passports for them now.

I simpy applied for a passport for my daughter, which only took a couple of weeks for them to get to her. Much faster than anything the USCIS has ever done for us!!! I didn't see the need for a "Certificate of Citizenship" right now. How many "Americans" do you know with one of those - she can always show her passport to prove she is a USC.

Girona40 - what did you need to have for the kids to apply for their US passports? I am a USC and my husband is going through the naturalization process right now - we are trying to get his kids their USC and trying to find out what we need and how long it will take. Any advice or help you can provide would be great!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Girona40 - what did you need to have for the kids to apply for their US passports? I am a USC and my husband is going through the naturalization process right now - we are trying to get his kids their USC and trying to find out what we need and how long it will take. Any advice or help you can provide would be great!

Submitting the Naturalization Certificate of the Parent, the Birth Certificate of the Child, and typically the marriage certificate of the mother if the last name of the mother has changed is enough... Basically the same materials that are required for the N-600.

so if my father was naturalized before i was born, and was living in canada when i was born, then i have absolutely no way to use my father's citizenship as a way to help me get my dual citizenship, correct?

That depends on when you were born and how long your father lived in the US before you were born... not enough information to say yeah or nay...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

Submitting the Naturalization Certificate of the Parent, the Birth Certificate of the Child, and typically the marriage certificate of the mother if the last name of the mother has changed is enough... Basically the same materials that are required for the N-600.

Does anyone know what you need to produce if the naturalized parent is the father (he was married to the children's mother at the time of their birth)? Also does anyone know if we do not have full custody of the children, if that will effect getting a passport?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If you want an exact answer provide the following:

Year you were Born

USC's father marital status to your mother at time of birth.

Mom's citizenship status.

How long did father reside in the US

How long did father reside in the US after he turned 14.

If you were born out of wedlock to a non-USC mother there are additional requirements including confirming paternity and offering statement of support, all before you turned 18.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks a lot. :thumbs: :thumbs: I have been looking for this answer for a while

This is just false.

Look at the law below:

http://www.schulzlaw.com/mschulz_citz.php

Derivation of US Citizenship as a Minor through Naturalization of One or Both Parents

Derivation means that the minor automatically becomes a citizen when the parent or parents naturalize. There is no requirement for the minor to apply to the USCIS for citizenship, instead the minor can apply directly for a US passport.

After February 27, 2001:

The child must be unmarried;

The child must be under 18;

The child must have at least one US citizen parent (by birth or naturalization);

The child must be currently residing permanently in the US in the legal and physical custody of the US citizen parent

The child must be a lawful permanent resident of the US; and

If adopted, the child must satisfy the requirements applicable to adopted children under US immigration law.

The child can still do an N-600 to get his or her certificate if they please.

Please fill in your TIMELINE!!!

I-751

10/19/2006 I-751 send to Vermont

11/07/2006 NOA (Kids)

12/01/2006 BIO Appointment (Kids)

04/02/2007 NOA (Wife dated 11/7)

04/11/2007 BIO (Wife 2nd )

06/07/2007 received all 3 approval emails

06/11/2007 Green cards in Mailbox

N-400

09/17/2007 N-400 sent to Vermont

09/20/2007 signed for

11/21/2007 Check Cashed

12/11/2007 Noaa mailed

12/14/2007 Noaa arrives in mailbox

12/15/2007 Biometrics letter in mailbox

12/29/2007 Biometrics Appointment

04/03/2008 Interview letter arrives

05/22/2008 Interview passed, But waiting on two A-Files to be integrated into one.

07/28/2008 Infopass Appointment

09/19/2008 Citizenship Ceremony

I did the same thing, but have applied for the N-600 as well right after we got her passport because of two things:

1. Application fees are rising, I can't remember what we paid last year but who knows what it will be in the next couple of months/years

2. God forbid she loses her passport, we don't have to go through the same thing that we did the first time we applied, simply send in the N-600 and passport application.

I agree that the passport application is the lightest step at the end of all these USCIS processes.

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.