topoftherock2013

Indian born but UK citizen

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Im really hoping someone can help...

So I was born in India, Im registered and I have a birth certificate (all on one doc) and I moved to the UK a long time ago, I now have a UK passport and a British citizen registration form.

However:

My name is spelt wrong on the Indian birth certificate (just one extra letter and all my other docs since do not have that one letter)

My surname is not on it either

My Mums surname is not on there - just her first name (My fathers name is there in full)

Does not have my time of birth only date

Does not have my weight

I read this info- http://london.usembassy.gov/document_checklist.html#birth_certificate and

and now my questions are:

1. Are there two docs for Indian borns? One for Registration and another as the birth certificate?

2. Do I need to order a whole new form altogether?

3. Will an Affidavit letter solve the problem?

Any advice appreciated. My interview is next week....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Personally I would not worry about it much, I think consulate knows lot of old documents from India are not accurate and complete.

I think my BC also had wierd info like nationality of my parents was put in as N/A, I don't think they did put my parents last name on there, I don't even think there was field to put weight on there.

I was never asked a question about my bc, but my name was a spelled correctly.

Personally I would not worry about it much, I think consulate knows lot of old documents from India are not accurate and complete.

I think my BC also had wierd info like nationality of my parents was put in as N/A, I don't think they did put my parents last name on there, I don't even think there was field to put weight on there.

I was never asked a question about my bc, but my name was a spelled correctly.

Thanks!

When I got my OCI (http://www.hcilondon.in/oci.html) I was sent back and told my app couldnt be approved unless I got an Affidavit because of the incorrect spelling on my BC. It got approved but only after I got the affidavit stamped by a Solicitor in London.

I think I will definitely get that again, and along with that state some more info on there (such as my full name, my mums full name etc) That way at least they cant turn me away for not having enough info...

On a different note, how annoying is that the Indian Hosp put 'Bhai' an 'Ben' at the end of every first name!! Now I have to explain its not a part of their legal name but is a sign of respect :|

Edited by topoftherock2013

Hi all,

Im really hoping someone can help...

So I was born in India, Im registered and I have a birth certificate (all on one doc) and I moved to the UK a long time ago, I now have a UK passport and a British citizen registration form.

However:

My name is spelt wrong on the Indian birth certificate (just one extra letter and all my other docs since do not have that one letter)

My surname is not on it either

My Mums surname is not on there - just her first name (My fathers name is there in full)

Does not have my time of birth only date

Does not have my weight

I read this info- http://london.usembassy.gov/document_checklist.html#birth_certificate and

and now my questions are:

1. Are there two docs for Indian borns? One for Registration and another as the birth certificate?

2. Do I need to order a whole new form altogether?

3. Will an Affidavit letter solve the problem?

Any advice appreciated. My interview is next week....

You kind of left it to the last minute.....

Did you click the link to the Dept of State website discussing documents from every country. There is more detail. http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9215

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the birth certificate part.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You kind of left it to the last minute.....

Did you click the link to the Dept of State website discussing documents from every country. There is more detail. http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9215

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the birth certificate part.

Thanks Nich Nick....I know its last minute as I didn't really realise it was a problem until last night! Feeling stupid now.

I'm seeing a solicitor today to get a notary done, the link you sent states I should ;

'In cases where birth certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts.'

The notary will be written by my Mum to state:

- I am her daughter

- My name is spelt incorrectly on my BC but I am the one and same person on my Passport

- Her name in full and that she is the one and same person on the BC

- Full fathers name

- That I traveled under her (now surrendered) Indian passport as a minor

- My only ever issued passport was a British one

It then has a couple of her details such as DOB, British passport No, Indian Surrender dates/reg etc

Do you recommend I throw in anything else in there?

Thank you for your help!

That sounds like it ought to be fine. You're so lucky that Mom is handy to do all this in a day's time. I was afraid you would have trouble finding a relative close by to do all this so quickly. Be sure and keep the original for instances down the immigration line when you might need your birth certificate again.

London tries to work with you. One of the girls I got close to a few years ago managed to get her visa without having an original copy of her birth certificate from India. Her parents had taken her passport and birth certificate because she had wanted to visit America and a boy she met online. She documented all her correspondence with India, the Indian embassy, the restraining order and police reports against her Dad, that she had no relatives she could turn to because of the estrangement from parents, and some school records documenting her name and birthdate. London gave her the visa and she is now a US citizen. She had left India at 6 months old and was a UK citizen, but still was in AP for 4 weeks after her interview, which pretty much is the minimum time for anybody born in India. It could take 8 weeks or longer, so don't get your hopes up for a speedy departure the week after your interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Thanks so much for the feedback, and esp the heads up about AP. I know we will most likely be in AP, which is fine as we aren't in an enormous rush anyway.

My parents are really understanding and my Mum is always more than happy to help me out wherever she can which is great! I'm lucky smile.png

I gave up being paranoid/nervous/hysterical a few weeks ago about this process...eventually I will get to be with my Fiance. Normally, this setback would have me running around like a headless chicken!

I've just started the process of getting a properly written out birth certificate in India, will take weeks if not months but at least I wont face this problem anymore!

Last question: Will London keep my passport for that long??

Thanks again.

Edited by topoftherock2013

Last question: Will London keep my passport for that long??

Thanks again.

I have known several to go both ways. They are told "approved", passport kept, and (former method) told to go pay the courier in the lobby. Then their visa passport/visa was not returned in a week...two weeks...and they found out about AP. So don't take approved as a sign of no AP.

Or they might say everything looks good and we need nothing more from you, but we will notify you when to send your passport to us by courier. I guess I would say, more have their passports kept by the embassy. Some have asked for it back when it went on a long time so they could travel, then returned it when the embassy contacted them that it was time to issue the visa. The whole AP thing is a big secret and you can't budge a bit of information about why or how long, nor can your congressman, MP, etc. People have tried everything. Hopefully it will be short.

Good for you not stressing. You will get there, you just can't make it your preferrred time. Always waiting for something when you do the immigration thing.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.