dattilotech

Problems with visa in air travel

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello;

My finance should be having her interview 9-10-13. My question is if we get the visa; she would probably fly from Philippines to Japan, then to Chicago, & then possibly Grand Rapids Mi.

I'm wondering once a person has the visa, is it pretty smooth sailing, or can there be obstacles, & problems through customs & U.S. airports.

I would like to have her possibly catch that last plane from Chicago to Grand Rapids Mi., but if there are often issues; then I might be able to drive to

Chicago, & pick her up, upon first entering the U.S.

Thanks, for any input, & experiences, in advance;

Rob & Jel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There can always be obstacles at any Poe depending on if the officer has had a hearty breakfast or is hungry, coffee deprived and cranky.

She should be okay but I'd leave a bit of extra time between her Poe flight in and the connecting flight just to reduce the stress of "####### going to miss the flight!!!"

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

always leave a good amount of time between connecting flights once entering POE, there is always the possibility of long lines and wait times. You don't want her to miss he connecting flight if she hits any snags

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello;

My finance should be having her interview 9-10-13. My question is if we get the visa; she would probably fly from Philippines to Japan, then to Chicago, & then possibly Grand Rapids Mi.

I'm wondering once a person has the visa, is it pretty smooth sailing, or can there be obstacles, & problems through customs & U.S. airports.

I would like to have her possibly catch that last plane from Chicago to Grand Rapids Mi., but if there are often issues; then I might be able to drive to

Chicago, & pick her up, upon first entering the U.S.

Thanks, for any input, & experiences, in advance;

Rob & Jel

Being your fiancée is from the Philippines, she will need to complete CFO and get the sticker affixed in her passport after she has her visa. Info on CFO is in my link below.

And of course she will have to pay the Php 1620 travel tax (which can be paid at NAIA)

After that it's smooth sailing, Chicago will be POE that is where she will turn in her DO NOT OPEN envelope so make sure she has that in her carry on luggage.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

If you don't mind driving to Detroit Metro airport,theirs 2 Delta flights that flyout of Manila(DL630/DL273) daily,they have layover in Nagoya or Narita depending on your flight choice,both are about 18hrs.Both have about 2hr layover,one you get back on same plane the other is different but theirs no stress with missing a connection.I live in Ann Arbor,fiance and I just received NOA2 and waiting for case #,hope to go get her and return around Nov 1.I've flown 5 times on either of these flights,its easy and not only on time but usually up to :30min early on arrivals.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

How about Dallas, is it easy?

Do you think 4 hours is enough before i continue the next flight to IN?

Refer to reply #2 of this thread.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I've read it that's why i asked if four hours is enough to deal with POE smile.png

Theoretically 4 hours should be enough time. However, what if your flight is delayed 2 hours? Now you have 2 hours to make your connection... that is probably tough... But that is just the pessimist in me.

In Dallas (like most places nowadays), you have to do the following:

1. Make your way to immigration (I was in Dallas coming from Peru not too long ago and this was not that bad).

2. After clearing immigration, you have to go get your bags (again no biggie when I went, but you never know).

3. Make your way to customs to clear customs (I have never been searched, but I bet that would add time)

4. Re-check your bag (thank your lucky stars that you are not in Miami... Miami is horrible on this one.... Dallas, the re-check is right after customs).

5. You have to go through security again. When I was there, this took a loooooooooooongggggg time. I had a healthy layover, so I was fine, but be forewarned.

6. Now you have to find your gate and Dallas is a pretty big airport.

I would be cautiously happy with 4 hours. But I would also be nervous about any schedule changes or delays. Dallas is not too bad as POEs go. Miami, horrible (if connecting... my fiancee will have her POE in Miami, but she is staying with her best friend there for a while and I will go and pick them up). LAX is my absolute least favorite airport in the entire world... I would avoid LAX as POE (again this really only applies if you are connecting). I seem to recall Houston being horrible too, but that was the first time I had to go through security again after clearing immigration and customs... Lately I always have to do that, so Houston is probably not really that bad. I have heard that Sea-Tac is a great POE (but my people are coming from the South and not from the East).

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.