RosaMystica7

France/America couples

2,690 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I make my own pate brisee too. It's harder to find the Pate feuilletee though. It's called Puff Pastry here but Filo dough is fairly similar.

Levure Chimique is Baking Powder you can find it everywhere, but you have to be careful because a lot of them contain aluminium :(

lili&kai: Moi je sens la difference pour le Nutella (il faut dire qu'en France quand j'etais etudiante, je mangeais ca a la petite cuillere :blush: ), il faut essayer, chacun ses gouts, moi je prefere le francais.

Edit: I make my own bread at home too. Not French style, but at least it homemade.

For those who don't know it, this recipe is great for a bread with a nice crust "No Knead Bread" et en Francais

Edited by Cécy

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline
madeleines sound good too! I'm definitely going to have to do something like that. Do you know approximately how much they spend on shipping?

I don't know the size of the box she sent me, but she said it was packed, and she paid over 30€. I don't remenber the exact price.It is true that shipping is a little pricely.I just send 2 little boxes, and paid $54!!! :wacko: . I still do it because I want them to have a little something from me, and I am so so happy when I receive their paquet!! :D

A jar of American Nutella can stay months in my cupboard without me touching it. A French one is gone in days or weeks.

I can find Lindt Chocolates too, but there are many varieties that can't be find where I live. And well can't find 1848 here.

I totally agree! I sure can find some Lindt chocolate here, but there aren't so many choices like in France. I did ask this year for some 1848 chocolate :P , they have some really good kind!!

Timeline
How do you bake your own baguette? do you have a good recipe to share? ^_^

Bryan bought me a book called French Cook Book, so the recipe is with American products and measurements :P so it is a French baguette from an American book, but it is still a good thing to start with (no need to convert any measurements, the yeast they ask for is just one package of active dry yeast that we find here, so at least I know exactly how much to put in there.

I want to modify the recipe though because "la mie" is quite dense... So when I find the perfect recipe I will share it :P

If you really want it I could scan the recipe from my book, but there are probably better recipes in the Internet.

Edit: I make my own bread at home too. Not French style, but at least it homemade.

For those who don't know it, this recipe is great for a bread with a nice crust "No Knead Bread" et en Francais

Cecy, that bread looks very good! I am going to have to try it soon! Thank you :)

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for the link! i think we are all going to try this recipe! ^_^

Timeline

You're welcome. I tried it at home, you have to prepare in advance (aka not the day you realize you're out of bread ;) ). It's a good recipe because it doesn't take long though.

Oh and make sure to remove the bread from the pan as soon as it ready to keep it crispy.

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

We just need to find the right pan now... :S

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
We just need to find the right pan now... :S

I used a glass "casserole" pan with it's lid, a round one, it worked perfect.

Edited by Cécy

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

Everything I have in Pyrex is way too small for the recipe, and i think my biggest pot is only 5qt and I doubt it would handle the high temperatures very well (non-stick T-Fal pot) We don't have lots of kitchen stuff.

So I just looked online for prices of cast-iron pots and things of that nature and they are all very expensive :S So I'm not sure what to do at this point. I would really love to try that recipe.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
Everything I have in Pyrex is way too small for the recipe, and i think my biggest pot is only 5qt and I doubt it would handle the high temperatures very well (non-stick T-Fal pot) We don't have lots of kitchen stuff.

So I just looked online for prices of cast-iron pots and things of that nature and they are all very expensive :S So I'm not sure what to do at this point. I would really love to try that recipe.

Me too I don't have that kind of pot...je suis bien embetée! Maybe i'll use a gift card that I have at a kitchen shop! ^_^

Timeline

The casserole pan I used is only 2 qt. It's a Anchor Hocking and it didn't go over or anything. Of course or oven isn't the best but... In the worst case you can always cut the receipe in half. The most important part is that the pan is heat resistant.

Edit: You can do it :yes:

Edited by Cécy

I-751

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

I just tried this recipe: http://sandrakavital.blogspot.com/2005/11/...n-baguette.html (great blog by the way) and it was awesome!

I changed a few things because I had to dissolve the yeast in water before to incorporate it to the flour-water mixture, so I added a little more flour, and also 1 teaspoon of sugar, and it really tastes like a French baguette from the bakery at the corner of the street :)

So far, that is my favorite recipe.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
I just tried this recipe: http://sandrakavital.blogspot.com/2005/11/...n-baguette.html (great blog by the way) and it was awesome!

I changed a few things because I had to dissolve the yeast in water before to incorporate it to the flour-water mixture, so I added a little more flour, and also 1 teaspoon of sugar, and it really tastes like a French baguette from the bakery at the corner of the street :)

Coucou!

I looked at your recipe and I have few dumb questions to ask. Is the flour T65 has the same name in english? do you find this in every supermarket? Does levure sèche SAF-Instant is an american brand? can I find it easily?

Timeline

Coucou!

I looked at your recipe and I have few dumb questions to ask. Is the flour T65 has the same name in english? do you find this in every supermarket? Does levure sèche SAF-Instant is an american brand? can I find it easily?

I used "all-purpose flour", just the regular one in stores.

And for 'levure seche', I used Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast. It is sold in individual envelopes, each envelope is almost the right amount asked in the recipe (7g ~ 1.5cc)

Maybe I will write down the recipe since I made a few changes.

Basically,

Mix 4 cups of flour and 1.4 cups water (they are the quantities asked in the recipe)

Then I dissolved the yeast in 1/4cup of water and added 1 teaspoon of sugar (because Bryan always tells me that the yeast only works if there's sugar in the recipe)

I mixed flour/water with the yeast mixture, but since I had added 1/4 cup of water with the yeast, I added some flour to make the quantities more proportionate. I'm not sure what quantity I added, just enough so I could make the dough in a bowl (way too sticky before). Maybe it was 1/2 cup of flour.

Then I continued the rest of the recipe as it is written.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline
I used "all-purpose flour", just the regular one in stores.

And for 'levure seche', I used Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast. It is sold in individual envelopes, each envelope is almost the right amount asked in the recipe (7g ~ 1.5cc)

Maybe I will write down the recipe since I made a few changes.

Basically,

Mix 4 cups of flour and 1.4 cups water (they are the quantities asked in the recipe)

Then I dissolved the yeast in 1/4cup of water and added 1 teaspoon of sugar (because Bryan always tells me that the yeast only works if there's sugar in the recipe)

I mixed flour/water with the yeast mixture, but since I had added 1/4 cup of water with the yeast, I added some flour to make the quantities more proportionate. I'm not sure what quantity I added, just enough so I could make the dough in a bowl (way too sticky before). Maybe it was 1/2 cup of flour.

Then I continued the rest of the recipe as it is written.

Thanks for explaining!

i can't wait to try!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

les filles je crois qu'il est temps d'ouvrir une page spéciale cuisine !! :P

si vous pouviez y mettre vos meilleures recettes de galettes des rois je suis preneuse.. :)

back to the visa process I'm going to the medical tomorrow... it's moving on!!

Lili (and Kai) :star:

K1 timeline

July 07 - met in London

30 Apr 08 - petition received (was sent around the 20th...)

22 May 08 - NOA1

12 Sep 08 - NOA2!!!!

19 Sep 08 - NVC send our case to Niger instead of France

........case stuck in Niger for 6 weeks......

14 Nov 08 - Packet 3 received

14 Nov 08 - Packet 3 sent

02 Dec 08 - Packet 4 received

18 Dec 08 - Interview!

23 Dec 08 - had to re-do fingerprint / Visa Issued

24 Dec 08 - Visa received

30 Dec 08 - Flying to Dulles (Washington DC)

06 Jan 09 - Marriage

AOS/EAD/AP timeline

02 Feb 09 - AOS, AP and EAD sent

05 Feb 09 - Received by USCIS

11 Feb 09 - NOA for AOS, AP and EAD (mailbox: 14 Feb)

04 Mar 09 - Biometrics

17 Mar 09 - Case sent to the California Service Center

02 Apr 09 - AP issued (mailbox: Apr 9)

02 Apr 09 - EAD issued (mailbox: Apr 11)

10 Apr 09 - 2 years Permanent Resident Card issued (mailbox Apr 18)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.