~Jess~

part of my travel....

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
welcome home Jess... I hate it that they interrogated you like that. They did the same thing to me when I came back from Jordan. I hope you have a happy holiday season with your family!

Sorry you had to go thru that, Jess!!

I had that happen to me when I came back from Egypt the 2nd time . . . and I wasn't even married then. The guy searched my luggage and kept asking me over and over "who are you travelling with??", "why were you in Egypt?", "what did you do while you were there?" . . It did go on for awhile. Just so happens about the time that he was asking me again "who are you travelling with??", the relatives of some of my friends that I was with in Egypt walked past me on the way out (yes, they were stopped and searched too) and said "bye, catherine, see you later" . . . the immigrations/customs guy just about flipped . . . I told him I wasn't travelling with them, they just happened to be on the same flight back (saw them at the airport in Cairo and Frankfurt, lol). I haven't been bothered . . . searched or otherwise on my last 2 trips . . . so go figure!! And they can see all the egyptian visas in my passport.

I particularly liked the return flight on my first trip when I was travelling with my Egyptian friend . . . she sailed through and I got slowed down a bit while the customs guy went over my list of items that I brought back . . . more gold/jewelry than I normally carry back, hehe! But the guy didn't hassle me, he was quite friendly and cheerful as he went to look up something about the gold and then told me I didn't have to pay duty on it because I had it made in Cairo, Egypt has a favored status, blah, blah!

So I guess it can be a ####### shoot, huh??

But I truly hope you don't have to go thru this again . . . :innocent:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Interesting. Although they sent our case back because they suspected a fraud marriage I have never once been pulled off to the side or my luggage inspected by the US. I wonder why they would some but not others? I was issued the 221g not the 212, maybe that is why.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The only problem I have ever had in my returns from Algeria was coming through Chicago. Lots of extra questions and a thorough bag searching. Otherwise, usually through Seattle, no problems. I did once, when I had listed France, Algeria and Morocco as the countries I had visited, have the guy ask me if the French gave me any trouble. Gotta giggle at that one.

Jess, I would report it. No US Citizen should be harrassed trying to enter their own country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

HelloJess... WELCOME BACK...I am sure your son has missed you! Least you 2 can have a happy Christmas together!

Sorry to hear about your interogation on your way back, but you have to understand it was for your and others safety. It has been a while since airline related attacks have happened( thank the God) but still those security are still up...and I believe rightfully. When I went and came back from Algerie I experienced the same thing. It annoyed me when it happened, but after I realised they are doing their jobs... I hope you and your husband can be reuinted soon! Happy Day and Happy Holidays!

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't think it's for anyone's safety to act like a fuc!o. She did not have to be interrogated that way at all. If they had questions, they could ask them like human beings. She is a USC after all, she has a right to enter the country even if she'd been in **gasp** Cuba!

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think it's for anyone's safety to act like a fuc!o. She did not have to be interrogated that way at all. If they had questions, they could ask them like human beings. She is a USC after all, she has a right to enter the country even if she'd been in **gasp** Cuba!

Umm no.. people do not tell the truth when they are being questioned nicely... People let the truth slip out or give indications that are not telling the truth when they are under pressure or are angry... Sorry, but that's human nature and while unpleasant, CBP needs to what they have to do to determine the truth...

It is not common these days for a USC to take frequent trips to the ME... especially Lebanon at this point in time. While the OP had a legitimate reason to travel and that fact did come out, the truth is that there are countless others whose reasons for travel to Lebanon are likely a bit more sinister. That's who the CBP is looking out for...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Umm no.. people do not tell the truth when they are being questioned nicely... People let the truth slip out or give indications that are not telling the truth when they are under pressure or are angry... Sorry, but that's human nature and while unpleasant, CBP needs to what they have to do to determine the truth...

It is not common these days for a USC to take frequent trips to the ME... especially Lebanon at this point in time. While the OP had a legitimate reason to travel and that fact did come out, the truth is that there are countless others whose reasons for travel to Lebanon are likely a bit more sinister. That's who the CBP is looking out for...

I think that is hard for some ppl to see . . . and no one likes to be on the end of an "interrogation" like questioning even if you do understand that there are others out there with more nefarious intent in their travel. I can understand someone having to do their job, but I wonder what the tip-off is to them that indicates they need to lean on one person and not another?? Out right badgering is difficult to take when all you did was take a little trip to visit a relative. Most of the normal everyday citizen would have a harder time coping with this than say, ummmm, the person with nefarious intent. Because that person understands the game that is being played . . . most of us don't have a clue.

Unfortunately, it seems that we do live in a time where our "rights" are getting a bit trampled for the sake of security.

Edited by cbd2cai

Filed: Other Timeline
Weird. I've been running back and forth to the ME and NA for decades, but I've never been interrogated. Maybe they don't bother Arab women that much?

Me, too, and I'm not arab, but married to a Moroccan, and still I've never had this happen to me. My husband is treated with respect in San Francisco as well, even when he has poufs and rugs in his bags!

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

I think that is hard for some ppl to see . . . and no one likes to be on the end of an "interrogation" like questioning even if you do understand that there are others out there with more nefarious intent in their travel. I can understand someone having to do their job, but I wonder what the tip-off is to them that indicates they need to lean on one person and not another?? Out right badgering is difficult to take when all you did was take a little trip to visit a relative. Most of the normal everyday citizen would have a harder time coping with this than say, ummmm, the person with nefarious intent. Because that person understands the game that is being played . . . most of us don't have a clue.

Unfortunately, it seems that we do live in a time where our "rights" are getting a bit trampled for the sake of security.

Agreed.... it is not nice or easy to be on the receiving end of this.... There can be many tip-offs... frequency of travel, places of travel, their facial expressions and body language when being questioned in primary, the answers to questions, etc. Each factor is a piece of the puzzle...

I agree that most people do not have a clue... that's why I'm resonding.. so that you do have a clue of what is going on and why it is being done and to not take it personally...

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
Weird. I've been running back and forth to the ME and NA for decades, but I've never been interrogated. Maybe they don't bother Arab women that much?

Me, too, and I'm not arab, but married to a Moroccan, and still I've never had this happen to me. My husband is treated with respect in San Francisco as well, even when he has poufs and rugs in his bags!

I don't think Morocco is high on the problem list.... Right now, travel to Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, i.e the problem spots at the moment, are being more scrutinized than travel to other parts of the ME/NA

And I for one would love to be on the receiving end of one of those rugs... and I'm sure the CBP guy would too :)

Edited by zyggy

facial expressions and body language when being questioned in primary, the answers to questions, etc. Each factor is a piece of the puzzle...

I agree that most people do not have a clue... that's why I'm resonding.. so that you do have a clue of what is going on and why it is being done and to not take it personally...

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools . . . I think I have a permanent guilty look on my face when i get questioned for anything!!! :help: That "born guilty" syndrome??? :lol: I have learned a lot though working in the corporate world . . . :devil: . Well, I am still a fairly honest person . . . what I have learned is to choose my words more carefully. Sometimes you must learn the diplomatic way to say "drop dead"!! :innocent:

Edited by cbd2cai

A high school friend of mine works for Homeland Security, and as part of the background check, they interviewed me as a character witness. They weren't rude or mean, but they definitely would try to throw me off-balance (by insinuating that my friend's mother, for example, was a ####### with a crack problem, just by slipping it in). They gauge whether you're a threat or being honest not so much by what you say, but by how you react to outrageous treatment.

I'm really sorry that happened. Just keep in mind that they can't do much... what are they gonna do, deport you back to the U.S.?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
A high school friend of mine works for Homeland Security, and as part of the background check, they interviewed me as a character witness. They weren't rude or mean, but they definitely would try to throw me off-balance (by insinuating that my friend's mother, for example, was a ####### with a crack problem, just by slipping it in). They gauge whether you're a threat or being honest not so much by what you say, but by how you react to outrageous treatment.

I'm really sorry that happened. Just keep in mind that they can't do much... what are they gonna do, deport you back to the U.S.?

:thumbs:

Yep.... by stating to the OP that her marriage was a sham and her husband wasn't getting into the US, they wanted to see how she reacted to that... If she fought like hell or cried or some other natural and expected emotional response to such a statement, that is an indication that you're telling the truth... a much better indication than anything else... a mere response can be crafted and molded... an true emotional response in response to something less so...

Edited by zyggy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.