J-n-H

Being present at interview vs. getting a job at home

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am currently living in Vietnam at my fiance's home with her family. Our case was just forwarded to the HCMC consulate, which is exciting news. So, I am preparing materials for the I-134 and for her interview, and I'm a little concerned because I haven't worked in the US for a few years. I met my fiance while we were both studying abroad in China from 2010 to 2012 and didn't file a tax return for the past two years. I visited the US for a few months this past Winter, but didn't get a job because I wanted to come back to Asia to be near my fiance. Since March, we have bounced around between Vietnam and China working here and there, but haven't wanted to get locked into anything long term knowing that the visa would be coming through soon. We recently had an engagement party at her home in Vietnam, and have lots of evidence to prove our strong, loving relationship for the last 2 1/2 years

My first question, is how long will it take to get an interview date once HCMC receives the case? Judging by the information on this site it looks like we are still looking at about 3-4 months! That's much longer than I had anticipated.

My second question is regarding our chances for passing the interview. My grandmother is going to act as a co-sponsor, and I'm going to fill out the I134 form with my savings account information and an explanation of why I did not file a tax return. Searching this site, I see that two factors seem to be very important in ensuring a successful interview: 1. proof of relationship and 2. showing that my fiance will be financially supported. So, with potentially 4 months remaining before her interview, I could conceivably go back to the US and lock in a full time job and send her pay stubs and proof of employment. Or, I could stay here and be present at her interview to show proof that we really are engaged. Any opinions on which will carry more weight?

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** MOving from K1 to Vietnam forum for country specific answers, as Vietnam's US embassy has some very specific rules ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Assuming your grandmother has sufficient assets or income she should be able to act as a co-sponsor. That said - as a US citizen you are required to report world-wide income - to the extent there are waivers they are very rare (if they exist at all). The calculation of tax owed is completely separate. You should look into whether you have any tax-related issues.

It sounds like your relationship bona-fides are strong. I may be showing my age and it's just an opinion but securing a good job and financial security is best for the long-term.

1- Come back to US

2- Contact IRS agents to discuss about your taxes u have not file for the past years

3- Pay the taxes you owed

4- Obtain the tax transcripts

5- Get a full time job that will make over 20k per year ( for two of you)

Until you get all the ducks above in a row, there are nothing you can do at this stage (the consulate will required your fiancee to provide those documents along with others mentioned above) , you can also request the extension regarding your fiancee interview date ( if and when it come around, which is about 3-4 months, when the HCM consulate received your K1 physical files). Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.